• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I have a closure for this?

Renji

Hello guys. I really don't know where to put this thread on the forum, but anyway... As some of you might know, I've been to a seminary school for about a year and have been converted to a particular christian sect for quite some time- even become a leader and a minister of a particular church, but lately, I just have this realization (or whatever you call it) that I'm not really convinced of the existence of any deity or higher being. So, having that sort of realization, I've decided to leave the group because I don't feel like there's a need for me to be associated with them whatsoever. I texted my leader and said that I don't believe in the existence of any gods and that I don't quite agree with the doctrines they're teaching. Then, that leader seemed to be offended and told me to see them because they received me 'nicely' so I should also leave them in a respectful manner by talking to them and saying goodbye personally. I replied and told that person that I don't think it's necessary because I've made my point clear and I didn't receive any response anymore.

Actually, it kinda hurt me to leave them because majority of the members on that church are my friends back in college. Same time, the fact that I could have offended them because I didn't say 'goodbye' as well as my reasons of leaving personally. However, I don't feel like staying there is an option, nor would I want to face them. Should I face them personally and at least have a 'formal closure'? Thoughts?

xkatz

I think what you did was fine. I can understand why you wouldn't want to face them and honestly there is no point in doing so if you are certain about your decision.

What Christian sect were you part of BTW?

Renji

I think what you did was fine. I can understand why you wouldn't want to face them and honestly there is no point in doing so if you are certain about your decision.

What Christian sect were you part of BTW?

Born Again christian.

Thana

Lady
Personally, I think the polite thing would have been to say goodbye in person, Especially if they're your friends. I'm sure they would've been understanding. I just feel like a text was a bit impersonal especially if you had leadership responsibilities within the group.

Renji

Personally, I think the polite thing would have been to say goodbye in person, Especially if they're your friends. I'm sure they would've been understanding. I just feel like a text was a bit impersonal especially if you had leadership responsibilities within the group.

It's just that I don't feel like facing them, though, having some sort of 'guilt' of having offended someone, it makes me think of having some sort of closure between me and them.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think it's fine, although impersonal. I would have done the same. Want distance and don't want to confront their reactions and so on, right? It would be harder to leave then, them trying to convince you.

Also, I don't want to convince you back to theism, it doesn't bother me if you're an atheist... But keep in mind there's so many different kinds of theism, not just the Christian models.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Personally, I would have probably made it a little more personal than through a text, but that's just me.

If you are content with what you did, then no need to dwell on it.

Renji

Also, I don't want to convince you back to theism, it doesn't bother me if you're an atheist... But keep in mind there's so many different kinds of theism, not just the Christian models.

I know. It's just that I'm not into those things already and I'm not convinced. :p