• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Gays Forgive Abrahamics?

Should LGBT people forgive the homophobia of Abrahamic religion?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Thana

Lady
Well big things have small beginnings. Today, Abrahamics claim half the global population. In 100 years, who knows? And maybe their homophobia and misogyny will be instrumental in their decline. As I always say, some Abrahamics are good people. Many, in fact; that doesn't make their religion good.

Well if that's the way you see it.
But I won't apologize for something other Christians/Muslims/Jews have done, I'm only responsible for myself and myself alone. As are we all.

Laika

Premium Member
Don't you worry, I'll have a gun ready by that time.

Bring it on Comrade. :D
Arnold-Schwarzenegger.jpg

Sultan Of Swing

The news is often filled with stories of anti-gay churches, synagogues and (far less frequently) mosques repenting of their anti-gay past to embrace equality for gay people, even sometimes the full spectrum of LGBT people.

To me, however, there is a lingering unanswered and usually unasked question: Should gay people forgive the homophobia of Abrahamic religions? If so, why? If not, why not? Not a pressing question, to be sure, but an interesting one.
They can if they want to, sure, but a more pressing issue is that these churches and synagogues are too afraid or offended themselves to stand up for what their holy book actually teaches and need to pander to 21st century moral values. They are only repenting because the pressures of the world told them to, they want the world to love them, not hate them for their perceived bigotry.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Ohhhhh pleeease!
You think that dishonesty is worse than open-violence? Who would you rather live next door to....... a neighbour who smiles at you who you know despises you, or one that chucks bricks through your front windows?

A neighbour who despises you might encourage somebody else to throw the bricks.

As for the general election I celebrated the Tory win by buying a new cooker, such is my confidence in their long-term economic plan. :p

Levite

Higher and Higher
The news is often filled with stories of anti-gay churches, synagogues and (far less frequently) mosques repenting of their anti-gay past to embrace equality for gay people, even sometimes the full spectrum of LGBT people.

To me, however, there is a lingering unanswered and usually unasked question: Should gay people forgive the homophobia of Abrahamic religions? If so, why? If not, why not? Not a pressing question, to be sure, but an interesting one.

I find it problematic that your framing of this issue implies that gay people, by being gay, reject or are no longer part of "Abrahamic religions."

But there are many openly gay Jews and Christians (and some courageous openly gay Muslims) who don't see a need to reject their traditions, but rather see more opportunity to extend the boundaries of their traditions in a positive way. And many straight allies who feel the same.

Your framing also implies that religions are inherently inflexible and rigid, and their alterations are somehow inauthentic, rather than being natural evolutions of theology and practice. Which is just not how religions work, or at least are supposed to work.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Normally, I find it right to forgive a person who I know will some time change his ways (wishful thinking). As a religious group, I dont believe that will happen. I can forgive someone of murder; but, if they continue to murder dispite my forgiveness? That is like asking God to forgive your sin yet you intentionally do. It means nothing unless "both" parties a willing to change.

Forviveness is a appropriate for an individual. They may someday change. As a group, its hard to see a future were groups will not hate others their faith says to do.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
"Should gays forgive Abrahamics?"

I kinda have to, being both, a pansexual Anglican. Some Abrahamics do need educating and reforming on the subject of course..

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Your framing also implies that religions are inherently inflexible and rigid, and their alterations are somehow inauthentic, rather than being natural evolutions of theology and practice. Which is just not how religions work, or at least are supposed to work.

So can we hope that one day the Abrahamic religions will mature to a point where they drop all the sexism, homophobia and mediaeval fundamentalism?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because Christ didn't say "Love your neighbour, but only if they're straight".
Christ said a lot of things. I don't know the vereses well enough to pretend to know what Christ said, or meant, for that matter. If you think that is Christs message, great, it isn't my concern.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A darned good question, this in the OP.

Religions that claim to know what is better for everyone should always be challenged.

Levite

Higher and Higher
So can we hope that one day the Abrahamic religions will mature to a point where they drop all the sexism, homophobia and mediaeval fundamentalism?

Judaism and Christianity have vibrant and burgeoning progressive movements and sects. The process is just beginning in Islam. Most religious people are not fundamentalist. More and more are progressive.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No and yes. The smart thing is to do what lots of people are doing, which is they are working to help people understand people that are different are nevertheless kindred and valuable. Whatever lets you do that is the right amount of forgiveness. Other than that, complete forgiveness is probably not good, because the problem has to be dealt with first. The rainbow symbol represents a principle -- actually an idea of a religious nature -- that all people are valuable and our differences have value. Don't throw that principle away in impatience, and don't give up trying to educate people about that. Have faith that the goal is worth working towards.

Marisa

I think they should ignore the Abrahamic religions. The religions aren't worth the bother, and they wouldn't care anyway.
I think that's very insightful. Most ignored things tend to slip quietly into obscurity.