• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should fighting sports be legal? Are they moral?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.
Wrestling and sumo where there is no punching are fine. They are a sport of strength and strategy. Boxing and martial arts which involve hitting your opponent are uncivilized and could cause permanent damage to players should be discouraged if not totally banned. But I think they are still moral since consenting adults are participating.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible clearly says that violence is okay most of the time. It doesn’t say to use sports to reduce violence, even though it is the safer option.
The Bible is a library and doesn't say one thing about a topic like violence. Each author has their own chance to write their own perspective.

It is common for men, however, to presume that violence is necessary. For example Carl Marx writes "...there is only one way in which the murderous death agonies of the old society and the bloody birth throes of the new society can be shortened, simplified and concentrated, and that way is revolutionary terror..." Which I get from the link in this spoiler:

Men have historically associated our own masculinity and power with righteousness, because its how we think. Almost anything can seduce us: money etc. but revenge is the most righteous of feelings. Much of the bible subverts this, and it is subversive writing which puts upon us a feminine mantle. In scripture revenge is the worst of all things. The Jew even cuts himself, and while its not explicitly explained the implication to an ancient fellow must have been obvious. The phallus, the spear, the sword, the weapon, the great decider of righteousness, was not to be the great decider. All over the ancient world "Might is right" was considered very true and universally accepted I think. It was simply nature's way and therefore the way established for us whether by the gods or whatever. Even now it corrupts our thinking and threatens to stage a comeback every generation.