• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Democrats censor Bernie Sanders for grilling an appointee over his basic Chrisitan beliefs?

whirlingmerc

Is this par for the course for the 'new democrats' to make litmus tests for believing basic things Christians believed for thousands of years or is Bernie on his own in promoting anything that opposes his postmodern world views?

Does it even belong in politics?

Bernie Sanders Grills Budget Nominee Russell Vought On Anti-Mu...

Bernie Sanders sounds pretty intolerant of people with Biblical Christian views, he would claim otherwise but he'd be mistaken.

whirlingmerc

Sounds like he is more intolerant of intolerance of other belief systems. He wasn't grilling on the person's Christian faith but on his statements regarding Muslims.

It was the Wheaton College beliefs he was defending and the subject was a Wheaton College consistent with those beliefs

Personal views only? not exactly. But yes, those were the personal views of all Christians for several thousand years and now? fair game to be targettet by Democrats?

Say it ain't so, Bernie !!!
Say it ain't so.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is this par for the course for the 'new democrats' to make litmus tests for believing basic things Christians believed for thousands of years or is Bernie on his own in promoting anything that opposes his postmodern world views?

Bernie Sanders sounds pretty intolerant of people with Biblical Christian views, he would claim otherwise but he'd be mistaken.
I take issue with the word “grilling”. Senator Sanders asked a question, it was his job and duty to ask questions, and given this person’s public statements about Muslims this was a question that needed to be asked.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting phrasing.
Religion shouldn't be a test for the job. However, using religion doesn't excuse one for any action taken. Basically you need to own your actions.

I don't think religion belongs in politics, full stop. So no. But...again...ones actions (regardless of motive) are pertenant to a job interview.

Are you okay with religion in politics? Do you get upset when people use religion to justify their position on certain policies, for example?

That would depend what you mean by 'tolerant', but let's go with a low bar of what tolerance means.
Should I be tolerant of all views that have a religious foundation?
Why?/Why not?

Also slightly wondering why the reference to something that happened 2 years ago, but I guess the concepts are worth discussing, if not the specifics.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
One has to be careful what one says on social media. There is freedom of religion and freedom of speech, but there can be consequences of those actions. I know someone that was in China recently where a tweet caused a fufurau. I never brought this up on social media with that person because I knew it could be job threatening if a comment was made. Talked to said person later and we agreed. No point to it. This man made what were rather anti-Muslim statements publicly. Not wise if one wants a political job.

PureX

Veteran Member

I have long believed that people seeking a job as a public representative should be willing and able to set their position as "religious representative" aside while serving in that capacity. As one cannot serve two masters if those masters have opposing agendas. As such I have no problem with Sanders or anyone else attempting to determine if someone they are appointing to a representational position in public office is willing and able to do this.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I take issue with the word “grilling”. Senator Sanders asked a question, it was his job and duty to ask questions, and given this person’s public statements about Muslims this was a question that needed to be asked.
I don't care in what guise and from what belief system intolerance is voiced. It needs to be challenged. Kudos to Senator Sanders.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I think it was a proper question, although a bit lacking, and a proper answer. He should have asked what was meant by 'condemned'. By the context we can infer that it meant 'going to hell', which is nothing to write home about.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
At least Bernie is up-front with what he believes, unlike Trump who says one thing and all too often does the latter. But Trump's got his BFF to console him: Vladimir Putin.

BTW, I wonder how often both Putin and Trump go to religious services? The answer is pretty obvious.

tytlyf

Not Religious
1. Appears Vought brought up christianity and not Bernie.
2. Vought then went biblical
3. Bernie isn't required to care if someone is a christian or not.
4. Vought used his religion to justify bigotry
5. Religion doesn't deserve respect by default, religion must earn respect.

The secular constitution doesn't care about your religion either. It doesn't belong in government. Bernie was right to say he would vote against Vought based on his answers being religiously motivated.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

That's for the Democrats to decide.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Other Christians reading this: do you agree with @whirlingmerc 's suggestion that being a jerk to Muslims is part of "Biblical Christian views?"

whirlingmerc

Other Christians reading this: do you agree with @whirlingmerc 's suggestion that being a jerk to Muslims is part of "Biblical Christian views?"

He did not say they were jerkks, he said nothing hateful at all. In fact, most classical religious views including Muslim views have exclusive positions and the issue was whether someone holding an exclusive position (like Jesus?) could ever hold office.

In fact the topic at hand was whether Wheaton College was wrong for not granting a professor that teaches that Islam and Christianity were on the same par would be inconsistent with their long held printed beliefs. Wheaton was correct in that matter.

As a post modernist (and a politicial) Bernie would struggle with this ..

whirlingmerc

And that makes it OK? Seriously?

The issue is not whether Bernie agrees with classic Christian views, but the wheels are flying off the the bus (on the left side of the road) if he runs around saying someone should never be appointed to a government post for believing a long held classic Christian view.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
He did not say they were jerkks, he said nothing hateful at all. In fact, most classical religious views including Muslim views have exclusive positions and the issue was whether someone holding an exclusive position (like Jesus?) could ever hold office.

In fact the topic at hand was whether Wheaton College was wrong for not granting a professor that teaches that Islam and Christianity were on the same par would be inconsistent with their long held printed beliefs. Wheaton was correct in that matter.

As a post modernist (and a politicial) Bernie would struggle with this ..

No, the issue was whether a person holding office in a nation of diverse and free religious expression should hold the opinion that Muslims "stand condemned" simply because they don't hold his religious views.

whirlingmerc

I think it was a proper question, although a bit lacking, and a proper answer. He should have asked what was meant by 'condemned'. By the context we can infer that it meant 'going to hell', which is nothing to write home about.

So he didn't do his homework? Clearly it was a prepared line of questioning and Russel Voight also quoted from the Bible in an orthodox manner.... so Bernie is kinda disrespectful of religous views

Tsk tsk...