• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians Be Keeping the Sabbath?

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Isn't it arguable that Christians should be keeping Shabbat since they claim to follow the ten commandments? Certainly Jesus and the disciples kept it, seeing as they were Jews. What argument can really be brought forward that Christians shouldn't be keeping it, and do the gospels anywhere explicitly suggest Jesus wouldn't want his followers to?
I would say that even in the time of Jesus, i.e. even Jesus, even the Pharisees and the Rabbis did not keep the sabbath. There were 100s of 'clarifications' in the rhabinical text, which in fact where nothing more than loopholes in the canonical text on sabbath.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I would say that even in the time of Jesus, i.e. even Jesus, even the Pharisees and the Rabbis did not keep the sabbath. There were 100s of 'clarifications' in the rhabinical text, which in fact where nothing more than loopholes in the canonical text on sabbath.

I do not believe this. One of the main commandments is to keep the Sabbath, and there is no indication that anyone, including Jesus was not keeping it in some form. The text regarding Jesus and the Sabat, is one of disagreement about how it is kept, not whether it was actual, or not. For Jesu, clearly, it was not strict to the point that some Xians or Jews hold it, but that does not mean that Xians or Jews who hold a strict Shabbat, are incorrect, in that.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I do not believe this. One of the main commandments is to keep the Sabbath, and there is no indication that anyone, including Jesus was not keeping it in some form.
In some form? Everyone keeps the sabbath in some form by sleeping in late on Saturday morning. Are you serious? The text is clear that sabbath should be kept in EVERY form!
The text regarding Jesus and the Sabat, is one of disagreement about how it is kept, not whether it was actual, or not. [/qutoe]Like I said, clarifications! Which come from rhabinical writings, not biblical...from man, not from god (even assuming the bible is divine.
For Jesu, clearly, it was not strict to the point that some Xians or Jews hold it, but that does not mean that Xians or Jews who hold a strict Shabbat, are incorrect, in that.
Jesus CLEARLY violated the sabbath...He did work on the sabbath. He harvested grain on the sabbath, which is EXPLICITLY forbidden. there is no arguing that he did not violate the laws given in Leviticus!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
In some form? Everyone keeps the sabbath in some form by sleeping in late on Saturday morning. Are you serious? The text is clear that sabbath should be kept in EVERY form!
-There is an indication that His followers were not actually ''harvesting'' the grain, merely picking it and eating it. Unless you think that people are not supposed to pick up food, on the Shabat, off their plates? :p
-Who said that ''Rabbinical'' writings could not be from G-d? I didn't. What is the basis for that belief?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think the whole Sabbath thing is taken too literally, the law to keep the Sabbath was for those who were not one with God, they were still on the milk and not on the solid food, or spiritual food, in other word they were immature. The Sabbath is a rest in God, not a rest in a day.........but yes, you can take your pick.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
-There is an indication that His followers were not actually ''harvesting'' the grain, merely picking it and eating it. Unless you think that people are not supposed to pick up food, on the Shabat, off their plates? :p
-Who said that ''Rabbinical'' writings could not be from G-d? I didn't. What is the basis for that belief?
LOL, ...not harvesting...merely picking it, LMAO, are you serious. Yes, if you read the OT you will see that individuals were supposed to prepare their meals on Friday for Saturday. The OT expressly forbids harvesting. "'Picking'" from the field IS harvesting. You have no veracity with this line of reasoning.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
LOL, ...not harvesting...merely picking it, LMAO, are you serious. Yes, if you read the OT you will see that individuals were supposed to prepare their meals on Friday for Saturday. The OT expressly forbids harvesting. "'Picking'" from the field IS harvesting. You have no veracity with this line of reasoning.

I noticed that you didn't answer my other question.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Relly, if i think picking up food off you plate equates to pulling grain out of the field? Have you bothered to read the to? It says explicitly that no none shall enter the field!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If rhabinical writings are from god, then all of god's writings lose veracity as they contradict themselves. E.g.the torah commands that god be worshipped only in the presence of the ark. There is no exception.

Well, I said that ''Rabbinical'' writings could, be from G-d; not all of the writings. As in, some could be, most, or some, not, etc

rosends

If rhabinical writings are from god, then all of god's writings lose veracity as they contradict themselves. E.g.the torah commands that god be worshipped only in the presence of the ark. There is no exception.
Really? Where does it say that? Moses prayed to God on Mt. Sinai but he wasn't in the presence the ark. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob made requests of God and there wasn't even an ark yet.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Really? Where does it say that? Moses prayed to God on Mt. Sinai but he wasn't in the presence the ark. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob made requests of God and there wasn't even an ark yet.
Nor, for that matter, a lot in the way of 'rhabinical writings.' :)