• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should cats be allowed to roam "at will"?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I was reading this guide by the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) in Australia which states;

'RSPCA Australia encourages the containment of cats in an enclosed area (within the owner’s property boundaries). Containment of cats can help to protect cats from disease and injury through fighting and accidents, increase the opportunity for owner-animal interaction and reduce the impact of hunting by cats and disturbance caused to neighbours.'

Source: RSPCA Policy A09 Cat management – RSPCA Knowledgebase

So what do you think about religion/(s) that legislate that cats be allowed to roam "at will", is it in the best interests of the cat and/or other sentient creatures such as native birds and other native species?
I never allow my cats outside if I can help it. Luckily the one I have now doesn't want to go outside (my pit, on the other hand...). But I've had a shelter cat who kept running off and he finally got his wish, it seems.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I was reading this guide by the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) in Australia which states;

'RSPCA Australia encourages the containment of cats in an enclosed area (within the owner’s property boundaries). Containment of cats can help to protect cats from disease and injury through fighting and accidents, increase the opportunity for owner-animal interaction and reduce the impact of hunting by cats and disturbance caused to neighbours.'

So what do you think about religion/(s) that legislate that cats be allowed to roam "at will", is it in the best interests of the cat and/or other sentient creatures such as native birds and other native species?
Cats are only semi-domesticated. They love us, but part of them is still wild. It is cruel to keep them penned up when it is part of their nature to roam. Sure there are cat politics, and dangers. They also kill small animals, especially birds, which is a problem. But honestly, the problem is more with feral cats who are not fed. I allow my cat to be an indoor outdoor cat -- she always uses the "bathroom" outside in the garden, which means I never have to clean a litter box. Yay!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Cats are only semi-domesticated. They love us, but part of them is still wild. It is cruel to keep them penned up when it is part of their nature to roam. Sure there are cat politics, and dangers. They also kill small animals, especially birds, which is a problem. But honestly, the problem is more with feral cats who are not fed. I allow my cat to be an indoor outdoor cat -- she always uses the "bathroom" outside in the garden, which means I never have to clean a litter box. Yay!
We had two indoor cats. They lived long, happy lives. When they did have to be put to sleep (one because of cancer, one because of liver issues), it was quick, painless, and with a loved one petting and soothing them.

A neighbour on our street had an indoor-outdoor cat. A fluffy, white, beautiful cat.

One day when I was in my living room, I heard a commotion outside. I looked out the window - the white cat had been hit. Other neighours (but not the cat's owner) were circled around.

The cat's hind legs and pelvis had been crushed by the car. The cat had managed to crawl onto the grass boulevard with just its front legs before it couldn't any further.

It's not clear how long the cat had been there like this, but it only lived a few minutes after people arrived. Suddenly, the question of whether we should take the cat to the vet or put it down right then became moot. The fluffy white cat died in terrible pain without a familiar face in sight.

But hey - no litter! Yay!

Clara Tea

Australia has been hit by non-indigenous species (such as rabbits) that have over-run their country and taken over, pushing out native species.

Cats are not indigenous, and have a devastating effect on indigenous small animals (not to mention between meal snacking of large predators who sometimes suffer from fur-balls).

In Australia, spiders, snakes, and large predators are deadly (unlike those in the US), and abound. So, it is far more dangerous in Australia for a cat to go on a "walkabout."

With an 18 foot crocodile clamped on my leg, I wonder.....maybe no one will notice?

Fragile ecosystems have to be protected, and cats disturb those ecosystems.

For example, some birds adapt their bird calls (tweets) to the sounds around them. So, in New York, a boid (aka bird) might sound like a NY taxi driver "do I look like I care? I've got your caring right here....go...kjlk off!" (which is a unique bird call, to say the least).

The zoos in Australia house some of the fiercest animals in the world. However, it costs a lot to feed them. So, if they can get away with it, they try to substitute a different animal in a costume. Thus, when you see the ferocious lion exhibit, you might expect a roar, but hear a mew. You don't need a knoif (aka knife) to fend off that attack (though the licking can get fierce). The purring is deafening.

In summary, to save the environment, cats should be restricted.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a part of life of animals
But not a natural part. African wildcats outside of Africa are an invasive species. They can devastate ecosystems. They can be multi species holocaust.
The proliferation of the malaria plasmodium or tubercle bacillus is just a part of life, as well. Personally, though, I'd try to eliminate them, if they invaded my ecosystem.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Please... as if the cat is going to care about any of that.... :D

I had cats. One thing I learned from years living with cats... we humans like to think we are their owners. Really, that is just what the cat wants you to think. In reality, you are their servant. They'll do what they want, when they want, where they want it. :)

I love cats. I'm absolutely a cat person and not at all a dog person.
If you have a cat in your home, as far as the cat is concerned, you are his equal at best.
With dogs, there's this hierarchy where you are their "boss". I don't like that.

People say that the dog is "man's best friend". I disagree. Cats are friends. Dogs are merely loyal servants.
In my experience, the relationship you can build with a cat is "real" and honest. It's build on an actual basis of friendship. Not on the basis of "he gives me food". There was a time were we barely gave food to our cats and not by choice - they simply fed themselves by hunting. Or, as we would later find out, they would have several places (neighbours) where they would go and get food. Then they returned home to us to cuddle and play.

As for your question... I think locking up cats is cruel. Cats are roamers. Hunters. Independent.

Just my experience.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Lets ask the cats

* Humans don't like to be restricted
* Evolution tells us about the link between animals and humans

Probably humans have this "don' t restrict me" from cats, because cats really hate it, even more than humans hate it

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What religions are those? I don't think it is good to allow a pet cat to roam at will, but feral cats seem to do okay.
All our Persian cats are indoor-only although we do have an enclosed fence area where some of them go out in good weather. There is a once feral cat that we have fed and watered and she has become like an outdoor pet. She seems to do okay even with all the wild animals on our property but we are nowhere near a street where she could get run over by a car.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I had cats. One thing I learned from years living with cats... we humans like to think we are their owners. Really, that is just what the cat wants you to think. In reality, you are their servant. They'll do what they want, when they want, where they want it. :)

I love cats. I'm absolutely a cat person and not at all a dog person.
If you have a cat in your home, as far as the cat is concerned, you are his equal at best.
With dogs, there's this hierarchy where you are their "boss". I don't like that.

People say that the dog is "man's best friend". I disagree. Cats are friends. Dogs are merely loyal servants.
We might not agree on God, souls, and the afterlife but we can sure agree on cats. I love cats and my cats are my best friends.
All my atheist friends have been cat lovers, no dog lovers.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We had two indoor cats. They lived long, happy lives. When they did have to be put to sleep (one because of cancer, one because of liver issues), it was quick, painless, and with a loved one petting and soothing them.

A neighbour on our street had an indoor-outdoor cat. A fluffy, white, beautiful cat.

One day when I was in my living room, I heard a commotion outside. I looked out the window - the white cat had been hit. Other neighours (but not the cat's owner) were circled around.

The cat's hind legs and pelvis had been crushed by the car. The cat had managed to crawl onto the grass boulevard with just its front legs before it couldn't any further.

It's not clear how long the cat had been there like this, but it only lived a few minutes after people arrived. Suddenly, the question of whether we should take the cat to the vet or put it down right then became moot. The fluffy white cat died in terrible pain without a familiar face in sight.

But hey - no litter! Yay!
Are you living in your mothers basement and never leave the house? You know, the outside is dangerous. You could be hit by a car. Or use a car and pollute the environment.
In conclusion: humans should be kept inside.

74x12

I think it's sad to keep cats locked up. They like to roam around and it's good they experience their cat lifestyle even if it's shorter in the end.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Are you living in your mothers basement and never leave the house? You know, the outside is dangerous. You could be hit by a car. Or use a car and pollute the environment.
In conclusion: humans should be kept inside.
A human is not a cat so that is called the fallacy of false equivalence.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which an equivalence is drawn between two subjects based on flawed or false reasoning. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency.[1] A colloquial expression of false equivalency is "comparing apples and oranges".

Characteristics

This fallacy is committed when one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result.[2] False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence doesn't bear scrutiny because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors. The pattern of the fallacy is often as such: "If A is the set of c and d, and B is the set of d and e, then since they both contain d, A and B are equal". d is not required to exist in both sets; only a passing similarity is required to cause this fallacy to be used.

False equivalence arguments are often used in journalism[3][4] and in politics, where flaws of one politician may be compared to flaws of a wholly different nature of another.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A human is not equivalent to a cat for many reasons, but for example a human knows how not to get hit by a car but a cat does not know. We need to protect cats if we can, just as one would protect a small child by not letting him run out into the street. I have had upwards of 30 cats in my lifetime but not one was ever hit by a car.