• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Cannabis Be Made Legal?

DistinctReason

Newly Opened Mind
I'm not sure if this is in the correct place, but I'm sure it will be moved if thats the case.

This is an issue that has gone on for a very long time, theres alot of opinions and I'm interested to know some. Let me start by stating where I stand on it all.

I am a regular smoker. It doesn't run my life style, I'm not one of those hippies who live and die weed; although I've integrated it into my life style, I just dont worship it. Yet I am still definitely against legalization.

I know alot of groups have been using the whole 'equal rights', 'the right to your own body' and 'the right to choose' etc. But to me thats all abit selfish.

Anyone that smoked pot aslong as I have, even less, is aware of the negative side effects. I dont think its fair to legalize it and take away all of the negative attenion it gets. When I tell my child drugs are bad, I want it to be a fact, not an opinion!

Also, I've smoked for long enough to know how relaxed the law is; I can still buy weed everyday, if and when I want it. Legalization wont make a difference to me, and I'm a smoker, so why?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If we make it legal then we should put the same law as alcohol, if you drive under the influence then you should be under the same law as drink driving, then it may be Ok ?.

Poisonshady313

I'm not sure if this is in the correct place, but I'm sure it will be moved if thats the case.

This is an issue that has gone on for a very long time, theres alot of opinions and I'm interested to know some. Let me start by stating where I stand on it all.

I am a regular smoker. It doesn't run my life style, I'm not one of those hippies who live and die weed; although I've integrated it into my life style, I just dont worship it. Yet I am still definitely against legalization.

I know alot of groups have been using the whole 'equal rights', 'the right to your own body' and 'the right to choose' etc. But to me thats all abit selfish.

Anyone that smoked pot aslong as I have, even less, is aware of the negative side effects. I dont think its fair to legalize it and take away all of the negative attenion it gets. When I tell my child drugs are bad, I want it to be a fact, not an opinion!

Also, I've smoked for long enough to know how relaxed the law is; I can still buy weed everyday, if and when I want it. Legalization wont make a difference to me, and I'm a smoker, so why?

Just because something is legal doesn't make it good or good for you. A child's parents should teach that child about what's good and what isn't.

Why should you be in constant danger of spending time in prison for something you do every day that isn't ruining your lifestyle or causing harm to anyone else?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No. But we should campaign against its use and stop bothering with laws that are not respected.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You know, that is part of what we must fight. There is way too much cultural acceptance of drugs, to the point that it has shaped language itself.

We talk about "happy hours", about "highs", about "having a clue" about them.

Truth is, drugs are a crutch and a cheat - at best. It is about time to begin to fully embrace that perception and despise them and their use properly.

HonestJoe

Don't you think the situation of it being technically illegal but unspokenly accepted dilutes that negative attention? The criminality with the resultant secrecy and amateurism surrounding it makes it harder to establish clear facts about the safety and consequences of use compared to things like alcohol and tobacco.

It's not really about you. The major problems with cannabis is at the other end of the supply chain, where the major criminality, violence and death is involved.

That said, I'm not actually a major fan of legalisation. I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, and can introduce a whole new set of problems, especially if it was only legalised in one state or country. I do see a stronger argument for decriminalisation though, to focus of the dealers and suppliers rather than users.

I think we have to recognise that this is an issue that can never be resolved. Recreational drugs, legal, illegal and somewhere in between cause problems regardless and we're never going to get rid of them whether we want to or not. Lots of people with vested interests chime in but nobody is really willing to take serious action because it's such a difficult and controversial area to handle.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The major problems with cannabis is at the other end of the supply chain, where the major criminality, violence and death is involved.

I beg to differ. When push comes to shove, the major problem with any drug is by definition that there is a demand.

HonestJoe

I beg to differ. When push comes to shove, the major problem with any drug is by definition that there is a demand.
Demand isn't a problem in itself. There is demand for cannabis, beer and coffee but they don't all have the same problems. The demand is obviously a factor in feeding the problems but most of the major problems with cannabis occur at the supply end of the market and it's those problems the proponents of legalisation believe it will address.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Demand isn't a problem in itself. There is demand for cannabis, beer and coffee but they don't all have the same problems. The demand is obviously a factor in feeding the problems but most of the major problems with cannabis occur at the supply end of the market and it's those problems the proponents of legalisation believe it will address.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would think so.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I vote for legalization.
It seems the drug laws have hurt the country more than the drugs themselves.
The cure is worse than the disease.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I vote for legalization.
It seems the drug laws have hurt the country more than the drugs themselves.
The cure is worse than the disease.

So you truly don't fear that legalization might encourage the drug problems to even worse levels?

Awoon

What fun is there in legalizing anything? Not getting caught is the fun in illegalness.
Just think of the lawyers, who would they defend if we legalize doing stuff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you truly don't fear that legalization might encourage the drug problems to even worse levels?
I've long said that there will be costs, & I'm not a fan of recreational drug use.
But the War On Drugs has had a devastating effect on us, eg, swelled prison population,
exacerbating the police state, clogged courts, police resources diverted from real crimes.

Last edited: