• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoe is on the other foot: Prove there is not God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Basically like the law of randomness. Think about because we dont know what it is that is doing whatever it is doing we call it randomness. And i noticed this

The rule of cause/effect is replaced by spontaneity, and things happen with no apparent cause..

with no apparent---so again because they just dont know what made it be or do what it does does not disprove any of the science.

Correct, nor does it necessitate cause. And as I also pointed out. Discussion of what happened before time is meaningless.

Your cause-effect argument is null.

MSizer

MSizer
...Its not logical for an ultimate supreme God/First Cause/etc etc to have a starting point or to have something before it.
That is why it is the ultimate---is there a higher word to mean the ultimate ultimate of ultimates?....

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus.

AK4

Correct, nor does it necessitate cause. And as I also pointed out. Discussion of what happened before time is meaningless.

Your cause-effect argument is null.

Not at all. because if there is a law of randomness, then you still have whatever caused that law. Plus just becuase we dont know yet what causes these randomnesses does not not negate the cause and effect. We know that these random acts cause these thing to react, they dont just "happen" as what the word random would mean.

AK4

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus.

Theres not one flaw in it or false in it. Yet the shoe is on the other foot with that statement in saying there is something before the ultimate cause. In otherwords you say there is no such thing as an ultimate cause

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Not at all. because if there is a law of randomness, then you still have whatever caused that law. Plus just becuase we dont know yet what causes these randomnesses does not not negate the cause and effect. We know that these random acts cause these thing to react, they dont just "happen" as what the word random would mean.
Wrong, Quantum physics posits no cause, nor does it relate to any supposed 'law of randomness".
Cause/effect is only completely valid in simple Newtonian physics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In a god concept, everything else requires a cause except for that god.
Special pleading.

Ive still yet to see any science that disproves the big bang
And you won't find it, because the Big Bang did happen. But re-read what I wrote: science is currently silent about what existed before the Big Bang. Any claims you make about what existed before the Big Bang are purely speculation.

I have already and summed it up in something cannot come from nothing. See below for why
No, you didn't. You made the claim, but you didn't explain it.

Maybe they should rephrase it—how about “everything after the first cause requires a cause” and “there is nothing that can cause the first cause because if there was then that thing would usurp the previously known first cause”
Fine if you want to believe that, but "everything after the first cause requires a cause" is just an unsupported assertion on your part. It'd be more valid to say "everything we've seen requires a cause", but "everything after the first cause" and "everything we've seen" are not equivalent.

What am I not answering?
You're answering in circles. You make claims like "the universe needs a starting point", and when asked why, you answer it with what amounts to a re-wording of "the universe needs a starting point."

I think its you guys who aren’t answering or answer “we just don’t know if there could be something before a starting point. We think its possible to have something before a starting point”. See yall answer either I don’t know or its possible to have a starting point before a starting point. I answer that its impossible whether outside of the universe, space, time, or whatever that you cant have nothing before an ultimate starting point. Yall have yet to explain how its possible.
But that's not our job.

Here's the deal with the First Cause Argument: it tries to establish that God is necessary. It can only do this if its premises are correct and its conclusions are validly based on those premises. If it can't be demonstrated that the premises and conclusions are right, then the overall conclusion of the argument is not supported. This leaves you with "God may or may not be necessary". The thing you set out to prove is left unproven. You only get to "God is necessary" once you demonstrate that all the steps that lead to it are correct. If there's any doubt whatsoever, then the conclusion is thrown into doubt as well.

Do you see how it works?

Really? There was a time when there was just God [the Father], then God starting creating. Actually to stay more scriptural, He started planning, then He started creating. So there was a time when it was just God, then God began creating, thus you can say before God created time or before God started doing anything there was a time when there was no time.
There is no such thing as "a time when there was no time". It's a logical impossibility.

And words like "starting", "when", "began" and "before" all have meanings based in the concept of time. Without time, they're meaningless.

Oh so with you all encompassing love you can do everything and bring forth everything out of love? Is that love something you had always in you? Is it inherently in you? Or is the real truth of it that even that love you do have was given to you and not your own? So since it was given to you, you do require a creator-god and you have your first cause of your love.
Careful - those goalposts are heavy. You don't want to throw your back out moving them around like that.

I don’t think you want me to go there. How about this, can you prove "Although there are many gods, but unto Us there is One God, the Father..." false? Back when Paul wrote this, how many “gods” were believed in around the world?
And this is all irrelevant. Even if the First Cause Argument were valid, it wouldn't lead you to "a creator-god exists", it would lead you to "all effects originate with uncaused causes". There's absolutely nothing in the argument that suggests that there can only be one uncaused cause.

Lets see just off the top, big bang, background noise [which sealed the big bang theory], the escape of light, law of relativity, gravity, expanding universe, quantum theory/mechanics, hubbles law etc etc.
And you think that these things prove that nothing existed before the Big Bang? How do they prove this? Again, be specific.

AK4

Wrong, Quantum physics posits no cause, nor does it relate to any supposed 'law of randomness".
Cause/effect is only completely valid in simple Newtonian physics.

But it does require a cause because then you must ask where did the things that are seen come from and these things in quantum mechanics act or react upon each other. For example our whole solar system is dependant on each body in the system to "maintain" it. They all react/act upon each other and no matter how far you break down lets say the planet Jupiter and its gazillion molecules they all act/react within some kinda law. Quantum mechanics basically tells us how thing came to be as we see or observe them, it doesnt say that they came to be without a cause.

AK4

9/10ths Penguin

But that's not our job.

Here's the deal with the First Cause Argument: it tries to establish that God is necessary. It can only do this if its premises are correct and its conclusions are validly based on those premises. If it can't be demonstrated that the premises and conclusions are right, then the overall conclusion of the argument is not supported. This leaves you with "God may or may not be necessary". The thing you set out to prove is left unproven. You only get to "God is necessary" once you demonstrate that all the steps that lead to it are correct. If there's any doubt whatsoever, then the conclusion is thrown into doubt as well.

Do you see how it works?

Gotcha. And you guys premise doesnt stand then also because you guys say that everything came into being without a starting point, meaning it always existed or is eternal, thus God is not necessary. Everything had the ability to be and do what it needed from the get go. But wait there cannot be a "get go" because then you would have to explain why or how all the things got to be before the "get go" could happen. And so on and so. on never reaching a ultimate starting point or "get go".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Gotcha. And you guys premise doesnt stand then also because you guys say that everything came into being without a starting point, meaning it always existed or is eternal, thus God is not necessary.
No, we don't. We say that you haven't demonstrated that everything did come into being with a starting point.

If you're making the argument, then you're the one with the premises and you're the one with the burden of proof.

Everything had the ability to be and do what it needed from the get go. But wait there cannot be a "get go" because then you would have to explain why or how all the things got to be before the "get go" could happen. And so on and so. on never reaching a ultimate starting point or "get go".
Again: there is no "before", "never" or "ultimate" without time.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
But it does require a cause because then you must ask where did the things that are seen come from and these things in quantum mechanics act or react upon each other. For example our whole solar system is dependant on each body in the system to "maintain" it. They all react/act upon each other and no matter how far you break down lets say the planet Jupiter and its gazillion molecules they all act/react within some kinda law. Quantum mechanics basically tells us how thing came to be as we see or observe them, it doesnt say that they came to be without a cause.

I repeat :facepalm:

1. Quantum physics is not reliant on the cause/effect laws of Newtonian physics.
  2. Time/space only exist in our universe. There is no 'before" time. First, time did not always exist; and second, there was no first moment of time. Such are the oddities of quantum physics. (A Brief History of Time)
So the proper answer to "What happened before the big bang? " is.....

Nothing.

AK4

Special pleading.

No that’s what it is really.

And you won't find it, because the Big Bang did happen. But re-read what I wrote: science is currently silent about what existed before the Big Bang. Any claims you make about what existed before the Big Bang are purely speculation.

Them being silent doesn’t equal into proof.

No, you didn't. You made the claim, but you didn't explain it.

How do you explain something so straight forward? You want me to explain were God came from? You cant. Why? Because He didn’t come from anything, He is everything. Again, straight forward, you cant say in a god concept that your ultimate supreme being comes from something. You have to say that all comes from Him otherwise if anything help make Him then that thing is superior over your God.

Fine if you want to believe that, but "everything after the first cause requires a cause" is just an unsupported assertion on your part. It'd be more valid to say "everything we've seen requires a cause", but "everything after the first cause" and "everything we've seen" are not equivalent.

Same difference. The bible teaches that we will see our God [the Father] eventually. Our God is Jesus and Jesus is to represent all that is God [the Father]. So in your own words “It'd be more valid to say "everything we've seen requires a cause", when we eventually see our God we will see that "everything we've seen requires a cause". Thank you I couldn’t have said it better myself.

You're answering in circles. You make claims like "the universe needs a starting point", and when asked why, you answer it with what amounts to a re-wording of "the universe needs a starting point."

Lets go beyond the universe, if there is more than just this universe, everything that has been created needs a starting point. Wheres the circle? Wheres you guys proof that anything created doesn’t need a starting point---oh that’s rewording again, here wheres you guys proof that something can come from nothing.

There is no such thing as "a time when there was no time". It's a logical impossibility.

And words like "starting", "when", "began" and "before" all have meanings based in the concept of time. Without time, they're meaningless.

The bible speaks of a time before the ages/eons. I know you don’t belief the bible or should I say the scriptures but heres a chart and if interested check out the link
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:4I33A6RssCoJ:www.saviourofall.org/Tracts/Eons2.html+before+eonian&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
FACTS REVEALED CONCERNING THE EONS

THE EONS HAVE A BEGINNING

Literal Translation King James
Heb.1:2
God made the eons
God made the worlds
1Cor.2:7
before the eons
before the world
2 Tim.1:9
before times eonian
before the world began

THE EONS END, INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY
Heb.9:26
the end of the eons
the end of the world
1Cor.10:11
the end of the eons
the ends of the world
Matt.24:3
the end of the eon
the end of the world

HOW MANY EONS ARE THERE?
Col.1:26
hid from the eons
Past
hid from ages
Luke 20:34
this eon
Present
this world
Eph.2:7
eons to come
Future
ages to come

A minimum of five eons indicated
THE PURPOSE OF THE EONS
Eph.3:8-11
Eph.1:9-11; Phil.2:9-11
Col.1:15-21

purpose of the eons
eternal purpose

Careful - those goalposts are heavy. You don't want to throw your back out moving them around like that.
lol

And this is all irrelevant. Even if the First Cause Argument were valid, it wouldn't lead you to "a creator-god exists", it would lead you to "all effects originate with uncaused causes". There's absolutely nothing in the argument that suggests that there can only be one uncaused cause.

How about "all effects originate with AN uncaused cause".

And you think that these things prove that nothing existed before the Big Bang? How do they prove this? Again, be specific.

No they prove that something did exist. If the big bang is the beginning then we believers look at what existed before that was/is God. You guys who think that the universe is eternal say that there was nothing before the big bang or there are you guys think that there is more beyond the big bang----I admit there might be more before it but the eternal universe theory is totally bunk. I can go with the latter but this still doesn’t take away a god concept. Cus the more you break it down the closer you still will get to the starting point of it all, thus you get to a God or ultimate starting point.

AK4

1. Quantum physics is not reliant on the cause/effect laws of Newtonian physics.
  2. Time/space only exist in our universe. There is no 'before" time. First, time did not always exist; and second, there was no first moment of time. Such are the oddities of quantum physics. (A Brief History of Time)

Nothing.
see post 972. The erroneous King James versions versus a literal translation of the word eons which means ages. Especially 2 Tim 1:9

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No that’s what it is really.
Sure... and that's special pleading.

Them being silent doesn’t equal into proof.
I know. But you need them to provide proof if you want your argument to be valid.

How do you explain something so straight forward? You want me to explain were God came from? You cant. Why? Because He didn’t come from anything, He is everything. Again, straight forward, you cant say in a god concept that your ultimate supreme being comes from something. You have to say that all comes from Him otherwise if anything help make Him then that thing is superior over your God.
I agree that it's a difficult or impossible task. However, you took it on when you decided to present the First Cause Argument.

Same difference. The bible teaches that we will see our God [the Father] eventually. Our God is Jesus and Jesus is to represent all that is God [the Father]. So in your own words “It'd be more valid to say "everything we've seen requires a cause", when we eventually see our God we will see that "everything we've seen requires a cause". Thank you I couldn’t have said it better myself.
Assumes facts not in evidence. We're talking about the First Cause Argument, not the Bible. Once you establish that the Bible is true, maybe we can revisit it. Until then, bringing the Bible into the argument just brings in more unsupported assertions, which does nothing to get you closer to showing that the argument is correct.

Lets go beyond the universe, if there is more than just this universe, everything that has been created needs a starting point. Wheres the circle? Wheres you guys proof that anything created doesn’t need a starting point---oh that’s rewording again, here wheres you guys proof that something can come from nothing.
No, again. It's not about us having to prove that something can come from nothing; it's about you having to prove that something can't come from nothing, while simultaneously proving that God can.

The bible speaks of a time before the ages/eons.
Again, assumes facts not in evidence. In any case, it's irrelevant. A time "before the ages/eons" would still be actually time, in which case it's not "a time before time".

How about "all effects originate with AN uncaused cause".
Nope. More like "all effects originate with at least one uncaused cause." The argument tries to establish a lower limit for the number of causes (one) but doesn't say anything at all about an upper limit.

No they prove that something did exist.
Okay, then the Big Bang wasn't the beginning of the universe. How does this change the problem?

If the big bang is the beginning then we believers look at what existed before that was/is God. You guys who think that the universe is eternal say that there was nothing before the big bang or there are you guys think that there is more beyond the big bang----I admit there might be more before it but the eternal universe theory is totally bunk.
No more bunk than the eternal God concept, IMO.

I can go with the latter but this still doesn’t take away a god concept. Cus the more you break it down the closer you still will get to the starting point of it all, thus you get to a God or ultimate starting point.
You keep on saying this, but you don't give any support for it besides your assertion.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Nothing.

see post 972. The erroneous King James versions versus a literal translation of the word eons which means ages. Especially 2 Tim 1:9
Biblical translations have nothing to do with time/space.
Your cause/effect argument is erroneous for many reasons.

• Special pleading. (God is eternal, needs no cause)
  • Quantum physics is not reliant on the cause/effect laws of Newtonian physics
  • The uncertainty of Quantum spontaneity is not simply a result of our ignorance, it is inherent in nature itself, a basic part of Quantum reality. .
  • Space, time, matter, mass, and the Laws that govern them are part of the physical universe.
  • Time/space did not always exist, there was no first moment of time.

MSizer

MSizer
What's the permitted limit for logical fallacies in one argument? I suspect it may have been breeched here.

challupa

Simply put AK conservation of Mass-Energy in the 19th century were split between two disparate laws. the law of the conservation of Mass and the law of the conservation of energy. the law of the conservation of mass stated that mass (matter) cannot be created or destroyed, but can be changed from one form of matter into another. In other words mass can be neither created nor destroyed.

The law of conservation of energy was essentially the same but is more difficult to visualize.

"Stephen Hawking expanded this understanding a bit further and explained how mass-energy's seemingly bizarre properties actually solve the riddle of cosmic origins. Hawkings described a naturally occurring phenomenon known as "vacuum fluctuation in which matter is created out of what appears to be perfectly empty space i.e. out of a perfect vacuum. Scientists have discovered that even in a perfect vacuum, in which all traditionally understood forms of matter and energy are absent, random electromagnetic oscillations are present. These oscillations actually represent a form of energy now called vacuum fluctuation energy, which can be converted into matter in complete harmony with the mass-energy conservation laws. In other words, the "nothingness" of a perfect vacuum in empty space can adn does spontaneiously produce matter in full agreement with Einstein's long-established laws."

This information comes from David Mills who wrote the Athiest Universe. I found it to be quite interesting.