• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shiva, Lord of spirits

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hi!

I have a question. I´ve read in more than one place that Shiva tends to have ugly spirits around him and I wonder why.

I also think I read that epithet "Lord of Spirits" but I may be wrong, also would like people to tell me about that and it´s meaning.

thanks in advance!

And blessings :namaste

Me Myself

Back to my username
I've never heard that before.

I´ve find it.

this is the place where I think I got it from and it didn´t say "ugly spirits" it just said "ghosts" I just figured "ugly" because of the context of the story in which Shiva was made to look visually unpleasing:

Shiva was surrounded by ghosts on all sides. The faces were fierce, their complexions were dark and they made a tremendous racket. Shiva himself rode on bull. He had three eyes, five faces and ten arms. He was smeared with ashes and the moon adorned his forehead. He was dressed in a tiger’s skin and a garland of skulls hung around his neck. No wonder Menaka fainted.
When she recovered, she began to lament. She scolded Himalaya, Narada and Parvati for her misfortune. Brahma, the other gods, and the sages tried to pacify Menaka. But to no avail.

I also find some stuff about "lord of the spirits" just know I googled, but I would like to read from you, what does that mean to you.

One thing I´ve heard and liked, is that he hears all prayers, even of those beings turned off by other gods and such, I´ve also think I´ve heard this more than once.

So well, anyone wanting to share it´s view about this would be appreciated :D

Onkara

Hi!

I have a question. I´ve read in more than one place that Shiva tends to have ugly spirits around him and I wonder why.

I also think I read that epithet "Lord of Spirits" but I may be wrong, also would like people to tell me about that and it´s meaning.

thanks in advance!

I have read this but only in the Srimad Bhagavatam and Shiva Mahimna Stotram, but never in philosophical work or scripture that I can recall (I will post it here if I find anything), so I think it is based on Puranas or stories around that time I don't know where the idea originated.

E.g. Srimad Bhagavatam:

SB 8.12.1-2: Sukadeva Gosvami said: The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, in the form of a woman, captivated the demons and enabled the demigods to drink the nectar. After hearing of these pastimes, Lord Siva, who is carried by a bull, went to the place where Madhusudana, the Lord, resides. Accompanied by his wife, Uma, and surrounded by his companions, the ghosts, Lord Siva went there to see the Lord's form as a woman.

Shiva Mahimna Stotram:
Oh destroyer of worries, you play in the cremation ground,
Your companions there are ghosts, you cover yourself,
With the burnt ashes of corpses and wear a garland of skulls,
And the entire world knows that your conduct is not pleasant,
And still, oh giver of boons, you give pleasure to those who think of you

My impression is that it is based on the conception of the trimurti: Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra (Shiva). Partly because the word Rudra means destroyer (Rud) of diseases (ra). Dis-ease is doubt born and maintained in the human mind.

The second reason I put Rudra is because it isn't just Shiva who dissolves/destroys in order to be created but Rudra, who is a 'form' of Shiva. E.g. Shiva Mahimna Stotram:

Text 30

bahala-rajase vishvot-pattau bhavaya namo namah
prabala-tamase tat-samhare haraya namo namah,
jana-sukhakrite sattvo-driktau mridaya namo namah
pramahasi pade nistraigunye shivaya namo namah.

Salutations to You as Brahma in whom rajas prevails for the creation of the universe. Salutations to You as Rudra in whom tamas prevails for its destruction. Salutations to You as Vishnu in whom sattva prevails for giving happiness to the people. Salutations to You, 0 Shiva, who are effulgent and beyond the three attributes. (30)

This should be clear to all, otherwise people will risk not dissolving the ignorance which conceals God's bliss.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I´ve find it.

this is the place where I think I got it from and it didn´t say "ugly spirits" it just said "ghosts" I just figured "ugly" because of the context of the story in which Shiva was made to look visually unpleasing:

Shiva was surrounded by ghosts on all sides. The faces were fierce, their complexions were dark and they made a tremendous racket. Shiva himself rode on bull. He had three eyes, five faces and ten arms. He was smeared with ashes and the moon adorned his forehead. He was dressed in a tiger’s skin and a garland of skulls hung around his neck. No wonder Menaka fainted.
When she recovered, she began to lament. She scolded Himalaya, Narada and Parvati for her misfortune. Brahma, the other gods, and the sages tried to pacify Menaka. But to no avail.

I also find some stuff about "lord of the spirits" just know I googled, but I would like to read from you, what does that mean to you.

One thing I´ve heard and liked, is that he hears all prayers, even of those beings turned off by other gods and such, I´ve also think I´ve heard this more than once.

So well, anyone wanting to share it´s view about this would be appreciated :D

I don't really have any thoughts on what it means to me, because I don't know the story or where it came from.

atanu

Premium Member
Hi!

thanks in advance!

Hello Me Myself

bhuta in sanskrit is actually elements: earth, water, fire, air, and ether (mind). Shiva is called bhutesvara -- Lord of elements. He is also Lord of all Souls -- embodied and diembodied.

I am Shiva - Hindu Dharma Forums

Marble

Rolling Marble
Hi!

Because he is the Lord of Mercy.
He keeps by his side those who can go nowhere else because everyone rejects them.

anisha_astrologer

starstell.com
shiva is also called bholenath which means god who is innocent. though in the holy trinity, shiva is the destroyer but there is none so compassionate. shiva accepts everyone and everything that is rejected by others. so traumatised and unholy spirits that don't find place anywhere else is given a place at the feet of lord shiva.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sorry if the question is silly, but, would then the spirits around him be ever changing?

I mean, by worshiping him and being allowed into his pressence, wouldn´t they very soon become merciful spirits that would be filled with bliss as He is merciful and filled with bliss and peace?

I know a lot is a more "concrete" form of a being that trascends form, but idk, I just kind of got hung on it a bit. There is just something around most Shiva symbolism that atracts me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Because he is the Lord of Mercy.
He keeps by his side those who can go nowhere else because everyone rejects them.

I believe He also visits the cremation grounds. Perhaps for the reason of looking after the unfortunate souls. The ash He covers Himself with, I would guess, is from the funeral pyres.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually, as far as I know, the making of vibhuthi is pretty secretive. Its not like you can just go out and find a vibhuthi factory. A further on'line search showed this. But there is certainly more than one factory, as from personal experience I know some is more coarse than others, smells differently, etc. There is also some that is more renowned than others. Like 'real' rudraksha, people search for 'real' or 'authentic' vibhuthi. My personal favorite is the stuff they give out at Palani temple in Tamil Nadu. You can buy one pound bags there ... enough for a lifetime of personal; use in a home shrine ... as long as you restrain from vibhuthi abhishekham. http://www.tradeindia.com/Seller-2622447-K-Bhaskaran-Vibhuti-Stores/

Me Myself

Back to my username
I have another question about the "spirits" or "ghosts" that surround him.

Do this evil spirits or ugly spirits were ever human?

Is there any story that you know of of what happened to spirits like this after ebing with the Lord, or what was of them before?

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
The story regarding Shiva surrounded by ghosts, goblins and ghouls is the story of His marriage to Parvati. Shiva assumes the 'inauspicious' aspect to show to the world that there is nothing which is not auspicious. All thoughts of inauspiciousness are merely illusion.

After Menaka faints and after a stern look from Parvati (IF I recall correctly) Shiva assumes a more traditional, auspicious, form. Menaka is instantly gratified and all is well.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The story regarding Shiva surrounded by ghosts, goblins and ghouls is the story of His marriage to Parvati. Shiva assumes the 'inauspicious' aspect to show to the world that there is nothing which is not auspicious. All thoughts of inauspiciousness are merely illusion.

After Menaka faints and after a stern look from Parvati (IF I recall correctly) Shiva assumes a more traditional, auspicious, form. Menaka is instantly gratified and all is well.

Well, yes one of the places where I extracted that part is from that story. Actually liked it a lot :D

Though, I ask, what is the nature of this kind of ghouls in hinduism? or well, goblins for that regard. I ask about mythical creatures in hinduism, what are those creatures Shiva surrounded himself with.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Actually, im pretty sure that Shiva is said to use ash from funeral pyres. The Aghoris also use ash from burned corpses as it is to symbolize the impermanence and mortality of the body, among other things.

Im not a highly credible source though, so dont take my word for it :D

I have also heard this I must say :D (though again, maybe a bad source?)

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
The only one I can name at the moment is the pisacha (probably spelled wrong) and basically these ghouls and ghosts are a stage in the soul's path. By being in Shiva's retinue they are clearly highly evolved and, maybe, even liberated souls who accompany Shiva wherever he goes.

If we look at it from one angle it could be said that these souls still believe in duality and still see themselves as separate from Shiva. By being part of His retinue they play out their good karma before returning the the human condition to continue on the path.

It may also be that Shiva, who is all merciful, has found these ghosts, ghouls and goblins wandering about forlorn and taken them into His confidence so that they might be elevated to a human birth after burning through their karma.

There is also the story of a brahmin woman whose husband takes to adultery and encourages her to also take up such an immodest way of life. She one days passes by a temple and happens to hear a portion (maybe all) of the Shiva purana being recited. After that day she becomes an ardent devotee of Shiva and when she dies she attains the feet of Sri Shiva and becomes an attendant of Parvati. But her husband has incarnated as a hungry ghost and Parvati notices that she is forlorn. So Parvati asks why she is so sad when she has achieved Their presence and the woman says that her husband is not with her and as a good wife she cannot be happy without his presence.

So Shiva (or Parvati, can't remember) send her and some attendants to go fetch him. He attains liberation through his wife's devotion to Shiva, who noticing her distress, liberates the husband also.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The only one I can name at the moment is the pisacha (probably spelled wrong) and basically these ghouls and ghosts are a stage in the soul's path. By being in Shiva's retinue they are clearly highly evolved and, maybe, even liberated souls who accompany Shiva wherever he goes.

If we look at it from one angle it could be said that these souls still believe in duality and still see themselves as separate from Shiva. By being part of His retinue they play out their good karma before returning the the human condition to continue on the path.

It may also be that Shiva, who is all merciful, has found these ghosts, ghouls and goblins wandering about forlorn and taken them into His confidence so that they might be elevated to a human birth after burning through their karma.

There is also the story of a brahmin woman whose husband takes to adultery and encourages her to also take up such an immodest way of life. She one days passes by a temple and happens to hear a portion (maybe all) of the Shiva purana being recited. After that day she becomes an ardent devotee of Shiva and when she dies she attains the feet of Sri Shiva and becomes an attendant of Parvati. But her husband has incarnated as a hungry ghost and Parvati notices that she is forlorn. So Parvati asks why she is so sad when she has achieved Their presence and the woman says that her husband is not with her and as a good wife she cannot be happy without his presence.

So Shiva (or Parvati, can't remember) send her and some attendants to go fetch him. He attains liberation through his wife's devotion to Shiva, who noticing her distress, liberates the husband also.

Thanks bunches for your answer! :D

Aum Namah Shivaya :namaste

Last edited: