• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

shia killings ?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
why there is so much intolerance even within muslims ?

whats difference bw Shia and sunni ?

how many muslims are shias , how many sunnis ( area wise demography will be helpful ) ?

is there no possiblity of peace bw these sects ?

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool says the attack was followed by rioting

At least 30 people have been killed and dozens injured in a suicide bombing on a Shia Muslim march in the Pakistani city of Karachi, officials say.

BBC News - Bomb attack on Shia march in Pakistani city of Karachi

slaam

I think the intolerence is just because of politics , if we leave bad politics and just follow the guidelience of Islam then their will no no such issue.

Please note the in ISLAM their is no such things like shia or sunni , Islam clearly prohibits to make sects ?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Please note the in ISLAM their is no such things like shia or sunni, Islam clearly prohibits to make sects ?
Islam may have prohibited sects, but apparently Mohammad knew what destiny held for it when he said in an oft quoted hadith, collected by Abu Dawud.
Abdullah bin Amar (RA) relates that the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) said "Surely things will happen to my people as happened earlier to Israelites, they will resemble each other like one shoe in a pair resembles the other to the extent that if anyone among the Israelites has openly committed adultery to his mother there will be some who will do this in my Ummah as well, verily the Israelites were divided into 72 sections but my people will be divided into 73 sections, all of them will be in the fire except one." The companions asked, 'Who are they O Messenger of Allah,' Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "They are those who will be like me and my companions."

GURSIKH

chardi kla
thanks to all , but no one answered my questions:facepalm:
why there is so much intolerance even within muslims ?

whats difference bw Shia and sunni ?

how many muslims are shias , how many sunnis ( area wise demography will be helpful ) ?

is there no possiblity of peace bw these sects ?

slaam

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Gursikh,
This is what turned out through google:

Question: What's the Difference Between Shia and Sunni Muslims?
Answer: Both Sunni and Shia Muslims share the most fundamental Islamic beliefs and articles of faith. The differences between these two main sub-groups within Islam initially stemmed not from spiritual differences, but political ones. Over the centuries, however, these political differences have spawned a number of varying practices and positions which have come to carry a spiritual significance.
Origins - A Question of Leadership

The division between Shia and Sunni dates back to the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and the question of who was to take over the leadership of the Muslim nation. Sunni Muslims agree with the position taken by many of the Prophet's companions, that the new leader should be elected from among those capable of the job. This is what was done, and the Prophet Muhammad's close friend and advisor, Abu Bakr, became the first Caliph of the Islamic nation. The word "Sunni" in Arabic comes from a word meaning "one who follows the traditions of the Prophet."
On the other hand, some Muslims share the belief that leadership should have stayed within the Prophet's own family, among those specifically appointed by him, or among Imams appointed by God Himself.

The Shia Muslims believe that following the Prophet Muhammad's death, leadership should have passed directly to his cousin/son-in-law, Ali. Throughout history, Shia Muslims have not recognized the authority of elected Muslim leaders, choosing instead to follow a line of Imams which they believe have been appointed by the Prophet Muhammad or God Himself. The word "Shia" in Arabic means a group or supportive party of people. The commonly-known term is shortened from the historical "Shia-t-Ali," or "the Party of Ali." They are also known as followers of "Ahl-al-Bayt" or "People of the Household" (of the Prophet).

Distribution

Sunni Muslims make up the majority (85%) of Muslims all over the world. Significant populations of Shia Muslims can be found in Iran and Iraq, and large minority communities in Yemen, Bahrain, Syria, and Lebanon.
Differences in Religious Practice

From this initial question of political leadership, some aspects of spiritual life have been affected and now differ between the two groups of Muslims.
It is important to remember that despite these differences in opinion and practice, Shia and Sunni Muslims share the main articles of Islamic belief and are considered by most to be brethren in faith. In fact, most Muslims do not distinguish themselves by claiming membership in any particular group, but prefer to call themselves simply, "Muslims."

Religious Leadership

Shia Muslims believe that the Imam is sinless by nature, and that his authority is infallible as it comes directly from God. Therefore, Shia Muslims often venerate the Imams as saints and perform pilgrimages to their tombs and shrines in the hopes of divine intercession.
Sunni Muslims counter that there is no basis in Islam for a hereditary privileged class of spiritual leaders, and certainly no basis for the veneration or intercession of saints. Sunni Muslims contend that leadership of the community is not a birthright, but a trust that is earned and which may be given or taken away by the people themselves.

Religious Texts and Practices

Shia Muslims also feel animosity towards some of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad, based on their positions and actions during the early years of discord about leadership in the community. Many of these companions (Abu Bakr, Umar, Aisha, etc.) have narrated traditions about the Prophet's life and spiritual practice. Shia Muslims reject these traditions (hadith) and do not base any of their religious practices on the testimony of these individuals. This naturally gives rise to some differences in religious practice between the two groups. These differences touch all detailed aspects of religious life: prayer, fasting, pilgrimage, etc.

Love & rgds

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many sunnis and shia are fighting in Iraq for political reasons and both of them are being killed.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I thought it was the oil ie. greed rather than differences in religion.

The minority Suni's owned and ran the oil economics of Iraq.
Now democracy reigns (well attempts to) The Shiaites now run it.
So the Sunies being sore losers want civil war to regain control.
Least thats how I read it.
Remember Sunis like Tamils were far more advanced (read western) than the more primitive opposing majority shias etc.

Cheers

Last edited:

yaali

hey GURSIKH i would like to respond to your question
but things seem unclear...
are you asking about the bombings or the differences between shias and sunnis these are two very different things.
No where in the bbc report or anywhere else it is mentioned that the bombings were carried out by the sunnis and were because of the shia sunni diff. :no::no:
the bombing were an act of terrorism no sectarian voilence. in fact it was a very planned and well-thought scheme start sectarian voilence.

the differences b/w these sects are already posted by zenzero but keep in mind that we have been living together since hundreds of years like brothers and there is much much, much more things common b/w us then they are different.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hey GURSIKH i would like to respond to your question
but things seem unclear...
No where in the bbc report or anywhere else it is mentioned that the bombings were carried out by the sunnis and were because of the shia sunni diff. :no::no:
hi Yaali ,
the quote is from same BBC report
Pakistan also has a long history of violence between Sunni and Shia Muslims that is estimated to have killed several thousand people in the last three decades alone.

Some radicals in the Sunni majority regard Shias - who make up about 20% of the population - as heretics.

yaali the differences b/w these sects are already posted by zenzero but keep in mind that we have been living together since hundreds of years like brothers and there is much much, much more things common b/w us then they are different.

i too want brotherhood of mankind ;)

Guru sahib says

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਫਜੀ ਇਮਾਮ ਸਾਫੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਬੋ ॥
हिंदू तुरक कोऊ राफजी इमाम साफी मानस की जाति सबै एकै पहिचानबो ॥
Someone is Hindu and someone a Muslim, then someone is Shia, and someone a Sunni, but all the human beings, as a species, are recognized as one and the same.

ਏਕ ਹੀ ਕੀ ਸੇਵ ਸਭ ਹੀ ਕੋ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਏਕ ਏਕ ਹੀ ਸਰੂਪ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਜੋਤ ਜਾਨਬੋ ॥੧੫॥੮੫॥
एक ही की सेव सभ ही को गुरदेव एक एक ही सरूप सबै एकै जोत जानबो ॥१५॥८५॥
Thus worship the ONE LORD, who is the common enlightener of all; all have been created in His Image and amongst all comprehend the same ONE LIGHT. 15.85.

ਏਕੈ ਨੈਨ ਏਕੈ ਕਾਨ ਏਕੈ ਦੇਹ ਏਕੈ ਬਾਨ ਖਾਕ ਬਾਦ ਆਤਿਸ ਔ ਆਬ ਕੋ ਰਲਾਉ ਹੈ ॥
एकै नैन एकै कान एकै देह एकै बान खाक बाद आतिस औ आब को रलाउ है ॥
The eyes are the same, the ears the same, the bodies are the same and the habits are the same, all the creation is the amalgam of earth, air, fire and water.

sat nam ( truth is HIS name )

Pakistan also has a long history of violence between Sunni and Shia Muslims that is estimated to have killed several thousand people in the last three decades alone.

Some radicals in the Sunni majority regard Shias - who make up about 20% of the population - as heretics.

As living in Pakistan i can celarly disagree with the statement that there is a violence between shi and sunni , there is no such thing like that , but i agree that there is violence between some small groups only , all are banned by pakistani goverment , so the violence is not among common people its just between some very small groups fighting for their own sake and killing innocents peoples.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Gursikh,

i too want brotherhood of mankind

It is only possible when we drop both the *wants* and the *I*then what remains is *brotherhood of mankind*; that is the simple message all the gurus' were, are trying to state but few understand IT.

Love & rgds