• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexism in the workplace

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
People have to change things to advance in their jobs. It's the way the world works. I have to hide my tattoos. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today. I'd still be working at a nonsense job, making minimum wage and complaining that the world won't let me be me. If you can't do that, then you need to stop complaining and realize that the problem is your's, not society's.
I don't think it's just his problem. I have a real issue with employers who put non-job-related restrictions on their employees. Unless you're worried about something like hair getting into food (which can be corrected with a hairnet) or caught in machinery, I don't think it's right for an employer to be dictating an employee's hair length.

Same with your tattoos, C_1: I'm at a loss to figure out a way that them being visible or hidden has any bearing on your ability to do a job... assuming that the job in question isn't something like "tattoo removal model" or actress in the role of a non-tattooed character.

gnomon

*snicker*

Question: Don't men generally still make more money than women do for the same jobs?

Question: Does this actually have anything pertinent to do with the question in the OP?

No, it does not.

Just wanted to point out that the point of my question was to show you that you really don't care about equality at all. If you did, you would be fighting for equal pay for women as hard as you're fighting to keep your long hair. Gender equality means nothing to you. The only thing that does is getting your own way and using "gender equality" as a means to get that way.

People have to change things to advance in their jobs. It's the way the world works. I have to hide my tattoos. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today. I'd still be working at a nonsense job, making minimum wage and complaining that the world won't let me be me. If you can't do that, then you need to stop complaining and realize that the problem is your's, not society's.
Tattoos are not sex dependent. Ascribing a hair length to males and females makes the issue one of sexism.

Did the OP imply anything about equal pay for women? No.

Nice assumptions, though.

Last edited:

Circle_One

Question: Does this actually have anything pertinent to do with the question in the OP?

No, it does not.

Tattoos are not sex dependent. Ascribing a hair length to males and females makes the issue one of sexism.

Did the OP imply anything about equal pay for women? No.

Nice assumptions, though.

In case you didn't read the OP, he was making a claim about gender equality. Women continuing to have lower wages then men actually DOES have something to do with gender equality, in case you haven't noticed.

The point of the tattoos, is that people who choose to live lives of "non-conformity", as it was so nicely put in the OP, sometimes need change things in order to advance in their jobs, as I do with my tattoos and as the OP would have to with his hair if he wanted to get that job.

Last edited:

gnomon

In case you didn't read the OP, he was making a claim about gender equality. Women continuing to have lower wages then men actually DOES have something to do with gender equality, in case you haven't noticed.

The point of the tattoos, is that people who choose to live lives of "non-conformity", as it was so nicely put in the OP, sometimes need change things in order to advance in their jobs, as I do with my tattoos and as the OP would have to with his hair if he wanted to get that job.

In case you didn't read it, which apparently you didn't, he asked a specific question and you asked another.

Recently an employee asked me why he had to wear specific articles of clothing while the females did not? If I responded with a remark about pay, especially since the females he worked with were on the same pay scale, he would have regarded me an idiot. As would be right.

Tattoos. Irrelevant. It might have been relevant if the question was about one sex being able to wear tattoos but the others not.

Yes, we all have to get past certain aspects of our culture to work with others but rather than evading the question and belittling the OP when it asked a specific question sometimes it's just best to give a simple answer or reflect on that it may depend on the job where one is going.

Simply moving the goalposts and making an assumption about an individual before they even address a certain point, like stating that they don't care about gender equality...............hmmmmmm.