• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex/Gender

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I just wasn't sure what there is to debate on this...

Clearly, any scientific research can be questioned to test its validity...but I don't feel qualified to address their research design or conclusions...

I was thinking, however, that it sounds like the genetic tests to identify this situation are difficult and rare...and I wonder if maybe in fact it has some impact on individuals' reproductive problems...more than on gender expression, at least...

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I just wasn't sure what there is to debate on this...
Good :)
Clearly, any scientific research can be questioned to test its validity...but I don't feel qualified to address their research design or conclusions...
Fair enough
I was thinking, however, that it sounds like the genetic tests to identify this situation are difficult and rare...and I wonder if maybe in fact it has some impact on individuals' reproductive problems...more than on gender expression, at least...

I wouldn't discount that at all. But also point out that it does make a bit of sense that gender and/or sex, is not a binary.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If not 2, how many?

Church out the Kinsey scale. There are degrees from 100% hetro to 100% homo.

Kinsey_Scale.svg.png

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If not 2, how many?
With what they're calling "gender," there seems to be a lot of variation, of several factors, and much of it not discrete variations but points on a spectrum or continuum.
Whatever it is in the brain that causes most males to "feel" male, to have male interests and sexual attraction to females; or the converse in females, is little understood, but it is something in brain anatomy, physiology, neural pathways &c, all of which vary from individual to individual. Variations causing non-typical expressions are pretty common.

With sex There are all sorts of variants: X. XX. XXX. XXY XYY, XXXX. XXYY, XXXY. XXXXY, XXXY. XXYY. XXXXX, and others. There are also those with mosaic cell lines, with, for example, both XY + XXY, or X + XXX or other variations in a single individual.

Combine XY variation (aneuroploidies) with neurological variation in the brain, and you can get a lot of natural, (not learned) variation.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Kfox

With what they're calling "gender," there seems to be a lot of variation, of several factors, and much of it not discrete variations but points on a spectrum or continuum.
Just because something is blue, doesn’t mean there can’t be different shades of blue while remaining blue
Whatever it is in the brain that causes most males to "feel" male,
What does it mean to feel like a male? What is this feeling that only males have that females don't?
to have male interests and sexual attraction to females; or the converse in females, is little understood,
Just because a person is sexually attracted to females doesn’t mean they are male
With sex There are all sorts of variants: X. XX. XXX. XXY XYY, XXXX. XXYY, XXXY. XXXXY, XXXY. XXYY. XXXXX, and others. There are also those with mosaic cell lines, with, for example, both XY + XXY, or X + XXX or other variations in a single individual.

Combine XY variation (aneuroploidies) with neurological variation in the brain, and you can get a lot of natural, (not learned) variation.
Anything other than XX or XY is an abnormally. If we go by the science, If you have a Y sex Chromosome, you are male; if you have all X’s you are female regardless of abnormally.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hermaphrodite is a biological male or Biological female with a specific type of deformity. But their biology is still binary.

Hermaphrodite

noun
  1. an organism having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics, either abnormally or (in the case of some organisms) as the natural condition.
adjective
  1. of or denoting an organism having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics.
    "hermaphrodite creatures in classical sculpture"
From Oxford languages

Kfox

Hermaphrodite

noun
  1. an organism having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics, either abnormally or (in the case of some organisms) as the natural condition.
adjective
  1. of or denoting an organism having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics.
    "hermaphrodite creatures in classical sculpture"
From Oxford languages
Yes! In mammals (humans) we go with #1, and it is due to an abnormally.