• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex and Spirituality

linwood

I think this is why religions have a strict view of sex; not because it is inherently bad, but because of the consequence and emotional seriousness of the act.

The irony of this is that the religions are generally the root of the emotional troubles regarding the act.

Kinda circular like that ain`t it?

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
linwood said:
The irony of this is that the religions are generally the root of the emotional troubles regarding the act.

Kinda circular like that ain`t it?

I whole-heartedly agree. Like I said in my last post, I think the people of those religions are the ones that are the root of the emotional troubles regarding the act of sex, not the actual religion itself. It is the implementation of a moral structure that goes against people's natural acts and desires, thus causing turmoil, through their own biases.

gumdropkid

I disagree. I believe that sex before marriage is wrong. The Bible clearly states the importance of only sharing that kind of bond with a spouse. One person. Gaining enlightenment? I do not think you enlighten your mind by having sex. Sex is an experience not a thing that is a huge epiphany and makes you more intelligent. I think that by saying sex before marriage is okay you are disobeying God's commandment.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I disagree. I believe that sex before marriage is wrong. The Bible clearly states the importance of only sharing that kind of bond with a spouse. One person. Gaining enlightenment? I do not think you enlighten your mind by having sex. Sex is an experience not a thing that is a huge epiphany and makes you more intelligent. I think that by saying sex before marriage is okay you are disobeying God's commandment.

Did God specifically command sex after marriage?

Anyway, sex is something that is bigger than the Bible. It's primal, visceral. It's one of the basics of human experience.

I would argue that enlightenment is not necessarily tied to intelligence.

iloveislam

Muslim
I have been looking at lots of religions lately and i can say that most of them are against sex and masturbation.

Islam permits sexual intercourse but within a frame. For example, a husband and wife are allowed to have intercourse with each other. However, commiting adultry with a prostitute or someone picked up from the street is not permissable.

This makes perfect sense to me, as there will be no sexual affairs between people in an Islamic society.

One can see the amount of problems that arise from sexual affairs in the west. (No need to mention shows such as that of Jerry Springer).

i think this is disappointing.

Since Islam forbids a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship that also closes the path to having impermissable sex.

But when I ask the question "would you like you mother, sister or daughter to have sex with their boyfriend and vice versa?" to westerners most of them say "No".

If "No", then why do you deem boyfriend and girlfriend relationship to be permissable?

I mean at one point or another boyfriends and girlfriends will have sex, and in most cases regret afterwards especially when the girl finds out that she's pregnant and then the whole drama begins.