• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seventy weeks (490) in Daniel 9:24-27

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Book of Daniel 9:24-27 seven seventies are decreed:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy."

Interestingly Jesus refers to seven seventies when asked how many times we should forgive someone.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Matthew 18:21-22

And Jesus refers to Daniel 9:26-27 through Matthew 24:15 in regards the abomination that causes desolation.

It is the only instance I'm aware of where Jesus directs us to an old testament prophecy twice so I believe it is an essential key for unlocking prophecy. What do you think the seventy sevens or seventy weeks means?

12jtartar

Premium Member
adrianhindes,
[emoji39]Read carefully and you can understand exactly what this prophecy of Daniel meant. At first it is about the time that Jesus, the Messiah, Christ, would appear. This whole prophecy amounts to 490 years, 70X7=490, with each day meaning a year, as some other prophecies, Numbers 14:34, Ezekiel 4:4-6.
Now, notice verse 25, which speaks of the time from which the prophecy starts, which we are told, at Nehemiah 2:1-8, the 20th year of king Artaxeres. Notice the time period of 490 is divided up into 7weeks, 49years which is when the walls were completed by Nehemiah, and 62 weeks 434 years. This would come to 483 years which is exactly the date that Jesus was baptized, 30CE. This would start the 483 year of the prophecy. During the last 7 years, the Messiah would be cut off at the middle of the week, when Jesus is killed. The prophecy extends for the 31/2 years of Jesus ministry and for 31/2 years more. This was up until 37CE when the first uncircumcised gentile, Cornelius, was baptized into the Christian Congregation, Acts 10:1,2,34,35. Verse 26 speaks about General Titus that destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple, with the flood of armies. Verse 27 is talking about the Covenant that Daniel wrote was to stay in place for the week, the last 7 years of the prophecy.
So this whole prophecy was speaking about the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem, then the coming of the Messiah, his death at the half of the last week and then the destruction of Jerusalem in 70CE.

omega2xx

In the Book of Daniel 9:24-27 seven seventies are decreed:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy."

Interestingly Jesus refers to seven seventies when asked how many times we should forgive someone.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

Matthew 18:21-22

And Jesus refers to Daniel 9:26-27 through Matthew 24:15 in regards the abomination that causes desolation.

It is the only instance I'm aware of where Jesus directs us to an old testament prophecy twice so I believe it is an essential key for unlocking prophecy. What do you think the seventy sevens or seventy weeks means?

Dan 9:24-27 is a Messianic prophecy predicting when the Messiah would come the first time and some of the events preceding His second coming and the coming of the anti-christ.

Sir Robert Anderson, who was a detective with Scotland Yard for many years, did an extensive study of this passage. He determined that 173,880 days were involved and that from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem to the time Jesus entered Jerusalem announcing Himself the King, was exactly that many days.

If anyone is interested in the details, he wrote a book titled "The Coming Prince.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
In context of the whole parable, we spent 70 years in Babylon according to Jeremiah's prophecy..... Then as you're showing it was then 70 x 7 (490 years) until Yeshua.

So whereas God forgave his servants, and released them from the Babylonian captivity; when they came back the Jewish leaders, started exploiting the peoples, yet still not paying God.

Thus God then exiled them again, to be tormented throughout the nations, until they pay what is owed, and repent for what they've done. :innocent:

Brian Schuh

There are 3 possibilities. The 70 weeks end in 164 BCE when the Maccabees took the temple back and started the sacrifices again after 3 and 1/2 years they stopped.

Or 69/70 C.E. the temple was destroyed after 3 and 1/2 years the sacrifices stopped.

Or about 34 C.E. after 3 and 1/2 years after Jesus was crucified. By the way, no sacrifices stopped at this time and even Christian believers including St. Paul sacrificed after this. So it would be figurative of God no longer accepting sacrifices leaving open wide the question, then why did St. Paul offer sacrificed after this?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
adrianhindes,
[emoji39]Read carefully and you can understand exactly what this prophecy of Daniel meant. At first it is about the time that Jesus, the Messiah, Christ, would appear. This whole prophecy amounts to 490 years, 70X7=490, with each day meaning a year, as some other prophecies, Numbers 14:34, Ezekiel 4:4-6.
Now, notice verse 25, which speaks of the time from which the prophecy starts, which we are told, at Nehemiah 2:1-8, the 20th year of king Artaxeres. Notice the time period of 490 is divided up into 7weeks, 49years which is when the walls were completed by Nehemiah, and 62 weeks 434 years. This would come to 483 years which is exactly the date that Jesus was baptized, 30CE. This would start the 483 year of the prophecy. During the last 7 years, the Messiah would be cut off at the middle of the week, when Jesus is killed. The prophecy extends for the 31/2 years of Jesus ministry and for 31/2 years more. This was up until 37CE when the first uncircumcised gentile, Cornelius, was baptized into the Christian Congregation, Acts 10:1,2,34,35. Verse 26 speaks about General Titus that destroyed Jerusalem and the Temple, with the flood of armies. Verse 27 is talking about the Covenant that Daniel wrote was to stay in place for the week, the last 7 years of the prophecy.
So this whole prophecy was speaking about the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem, then the coming of the Messiah, his death at the half of the last week and then the destruction of Jerusalem in 70CE.

Thank you. It is good to see someone addressing the question so well.

I'm aware of the calculation being provided as a teaching within the Jehovah witness church. Are there any other denominations of Christianity that share this understanding?

I've responded to another on the abomination of desolation thread I see you have contributed to.

Here are the problems I see with this calculation:
(1) Daniel 9:25 refers specifically to the rebuilding of Jerusalem and not the wall, gate, and a house as with the decree you refer. Therefore I believe the correct decree is from Ezra 7 as this specifically refers to the rebuilding of Jerusalem. The date for this decree was 457 B.C. I do not dispute the date 455 B.C provided but believe it is the wrong decree.
(2) Daniel 9:26 refers specifically to the crucifixion after the designated period. There is no mention of Jesus' Baptism at all in Daniel 9.
(3) The 69 weeks (483 years) you refer will also include another 1 week in Daniel 9:27. So it is just another way of referring to the 70 weeks (490 years), but breaking it down into 7 weeks (49 years) for the rebuilding of Jerusalem, then 62 weeks (434 years), and then the anointed one is cut off and the covenant is established in the final week (7 years). In this way the years that includes Christ's ministry are emphasised as well as the building of Jerusalem.

There is more I could say about the final week (seven years) from the prophecy but lets see if we can agree on the above.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Dan 9:24-27 is a Messianic prophecy predicting when the Messiah would come the first time and some of the events preceding His second coming and the coming of the anti-christ.

Sir Robert Anderson, who was a detective with Scotland Yard for many years, did an extensive study of this passage. He determined that 173,880 days were involved and that from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem to the time Jesus entered Jerusalem announcing Himself the King, was exactly that many days.

If anyone is interested in the details, he wrote a book titled "The Coming Prince.

Thank you.

I agree that it relates to Christ and there are themes and processes that could relate to the second coming.

Are you able to clarify your thoughts further and be more specific?

Best Wishes

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
There are 3 possibilities. The 70 weeks end in 164 BCE when the Maccabees took the temple back and started the sacrifices again after 3 and 1/2 years they stopped.

Or 69/70 C.E. the temple was destroyed after 3 and 1/2 years the sacrifices stopped.

Or about 34 C.E. after 3 and 1/2 years after Jesus was crucified. By the way, no sacrifices stopped at this time and even Christian believers including St. Paul sacrificed after this. So it would be figurative of God no longer accepting sacrifices leaving open wide the question, then why did St. Paul offer sacrificed after this?
These are all important events. The 3 1/2 years is intersting because that makes 42 months or 1260 days. Sound familiar? It is a number from both the books of Daniel and Revelation. That number concers the return of Christ. However I'm concerned with how Jesus fulfilled the prophecy.

There were 490 years from when the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued from Artaxerxes in 457 BC to when Christ was crucified at age 33. This makes up 490 years or seven times seventy days.

In Biblical terms each day is a year:
Numbers 14:34: The Israelites will wander for 40 years in the wilderness, one year for every day spent by the spies in Canaan
Ezekiel 4:5-6: The prophet Ezekiel is commanded to lie on his left side for 390 days, followed by his right side for 40 days, to symbolize the equivalent number of years of punishment on Israel and Judah respectively.
Therefore, 490 days are 490 years!

By the martyrdom of Christ the sacrifice is accomplished and the temple of Christ's destroyed. He is to become the new object of adoration and worship, and the Jewish temple is to be destroyed. These seventy weeks begin with the restoration and the rebuilding of Jerusalem, concerning which four edicts were issued by three kings:

The first was issued by Cyrus in the year 536 B.C.; this is recorded in the first chapter of the Book of Ezra. The second edict, with reference to the rebuilding of Jerusalem, is that of Darius of Persia in the year 519 B.C.; this is recorded in the sixth chapter of Ezra. The third is that of Artaxerxes in the seventh year of his reign—that is, in 457 B.C.; this is recorded in the seventh chapter of Ezra. The fourth is that of Artaxerxes in the year 444 B.C.; this is recorded in the second chapter of Nehemiah.

But Daniel refers especially to the third edict which was issued in the year 457 B.C. Christ was 33 when He was martyred and ascended. When you add 33 to 457, the result is 490, which is the time announced by Daniel for the coming of Christ.

When Jesus on the Mount of Olives mentions the abomination of desolation in Daniel He is also indicating the fulfilment of prophecies in Daniel 9:24-27. Once this is understood then further insight can be appreciated by further analysis of these key verses.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In context of the whole parable, we spent 70 years in Babylon according to Jeremiah's prophecy..... Then as you're showing it was then 70 x 7 (490 years) until Yeshua.

Thats an interesting connection I hadn't considered.

I've done some cutting and pasting from answering this elsewhere. Here is how I believe Jesus fulfils the prophecy:

There were 490 years from when the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was issued from Artaxerxes in 457 BC to when Christ was crucified at age 33. This makes up 490 years or seven times seventy days.

In Biblical terms each day is a year:
Numbers 14:34: The Israelites will wander for 40 years in the wilderness, one year for every day spent by the spies in Canaan
Ezekiel 4:5-6: The prophet Ezekiel is commanded to lie on his left side for 390 days, followed by his right side for 40 days, to symbolize the equivalent number of years of punishment on Israel and Judah respectively.
Therefore, 490 days are 490 years!

By the martyrdom of Christ the sacrifice is accomplished and the temple of Christ's destroyed. He is to become the new object of adoration and worship, and the Jewish temple is to be destroyed. These seventy weeks begin with the restoration and the rebuilding of Jerusalem, concerning which four edicts were issued by three kings:

The first was issued by Cyrus in the year 536 B.C.; this is recorded in the first chapter of the Book of Ezra. The second edict, with reference to the rebuilding of Jerusalem, is that of Darius of Persia in the year 519 B.C.; this is recorded in the sixth chapter of Ezra. The third is that of Artaxerxes in the seventh year of his reign—that is, in 457 B.C.; this is recorded in the seventh chapter of Ezra. The fourth is that of Artaxerxes in the year 444 B.C.; this is recorded in the second chapter of Nehemiah.

But Daniel refers especially to the third edict which was issued in the year 457 B.C. Christ was 33 when He was martyred and ascended. When you add 33 to 457, the result is 490, which is the time announced by Daniel for the coming of Christ.

When Jesus on the Mount of Olives mentions the abomination of desolation in Daniel He is also indicating the fulfilment of prophecies in Daniel 9:24-27. Once this is understood then further insight can be appreciated by further analysis of these key verses.

omega2xx

Thank you.

I agree that it relates to Christ and there are themes and processes that could relate to the second coming.

Are you able to clarify your thoughts further and be more specific?

Best Wishes

Her are some notes I use when I teach Daniel. Hope the help.

DANIEL'S 70 WEEKS

Dan 9:24-27 is a Messianic prophecy predicting when the Messiah would come the first time and some of the events preceding His second coming.

9:24 – The first thing we need to do is determine the length of a week in this verse. Obviously if these were literal weeks, the Messiah would have come during Daniel's lifetime.

The word "week" is "heptad" and it means a unit of 7. It is similar to our unit of "dozen." However, we don't go into the grocery store and say give me a dozen, we have to qualify what we want---a dozen eggs e.g.

Most conservative commentators have concluded that it refers to years based on 2 verses:

--Lev 25: 8 – A Sabbatical year was 7 years.
--Gen 29:27-28 – Jacob serving 7 years to marry Rachel is called a week

So 70 units of 7 years is 490 years.

Verse 24 indicates 6 things will be accomplished during this time and there is very little agreement as to what they mean. Sometimes prophecy is only understood after the fact, so I am not sure it is important for us to perfectly understand these 6 clauses.

I am going to offer a suggestion for each that you can consider. Just don't bet the homeplace on these thoughts. The first 3 are about our conduct: transgressions---sins---iniquity

--Finish the transgression

This probably refers the apostasy of Israel as a nation rejecting Jesus as the Messiah. It will end when they look on the one whom they have pierced and mourn for him as for an only son (Zech 12:10).

--Make and end to sin

This is similar to "finish the transgression," It has the idea of sealing sin up but also has the idea of putting it out of God's sight.

In a sense this is what happens when a person accepts Jesus as the Messiah and as their Savior. Isaiah says God cast all our sins behind his back(38:17).

--Rom 6:7 – He who has died is freed from sin. That finished the effect of sin in our lives.

--Rom 6:14 – For sin shall not be master over you.

--Make atonement for iniquity

Atonement always required a sacrifice. The most obvious reference here would be the crucifixion.

The last 3 seem to be things God will bring about at the proper time.

--To bring in everlasting righteousness.

When Christ died, everlasting righteousness came to all who accepted His death for their sins. However it seems more likely that this is a reference to when Christ will assume His kingdom and rule it with justice and righteousness forever(Isa 9:7).

--Seal up vision and prophecy

This seems to say that at some time in the future there will be no more direct prophecy given to men. For us that would mean Revelation is the final prophecy from God.

--Anoint the most holy

It isn't clear if this refers to a place, the Holy of Holies or to a person, Christ.

If it refers to the Holy of Holies, then the temple would have to be rebuilt andl I think there is some evidence for this before Jesus returns. At the same time, kings were anointed when they assumed their reign, and I believe Jesus will be also.

9:25 – The 70 weeks are divided into 3 parts:

7 Weeks = 49 years.

What seems to be the best explanation of this time period is that is how long it took Nehemiah and those with him to restore the temple and the city.

This decree started the end-time prophecy clock ticking.

62 weeks = 434 years – Messiah cut off---Jesus crucified. This stopped the prophecy clock. It will start again when the anti-christ comes into power.

9:27 - 1 week = 7 years – The time of the anti-christ. 3 ½ years of peace and religious tolerance and 3 ½ years of persecution.

We will see this 3 ½ years expressed 3 other ways in Revelation: 42 months(Rev 11:2 & 13:5), 1260 days(Rev 11:3 & 12:6) and time, times and half a time(Dan 7:24 & Rev 12:14).

Now I am not sure why this period is expressed in 4 different ways but I do know God always has a reason for what He does. When we get to them in Revelation, I will offer some food for thought.

Sir Robert Anderson, who was a detective with Scotland Yard for many years, did an extensive study of this passage. He determined that 173,880 days were involved and that from the decree to Jerusalem to the time Jesus entered Jerusalem announcing Himself the King, was exactly that many days.

Now we need to look at the Olivet Discourse, which I think also gives a general chronology of end time events---Matthew chapters 24 and 25.

Brian Schuh

Solomon's temple was destroyed in the year 3338 A.M. in the Hebrew calendar and Hero's temple was destroyed in 3828 A.M. exactly 490 years later. There were only 4 Persian kings before Alexander the Great took the kingdom. (Daniel chapter 11.)

The secular calendar has an extra 167 years and a bunch of Persian kings that never existed.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Solomon's temple was destroyed in the year 3338 A.M. in the Hebrew calendar and Hero's temple was destroyed in 3828 A.M. exactly 490 years later. There were only 4 Persian kings before Alexander the Great took the kingdom. (Daniel chapter 11.)

The secular calendar has an extra 167 years and a bunch of Persian kings that never existed.

Solomons' temple was destroyed 587 BC

Herod's temple was destroyed 70 AD

That's 657 years Gregorian style and much more if we use the shorted years of the Hebrew calendar with its twelve lunar months of 29 - 30 days

Here is a calendar convertor to help you.

Convert a date

And just to make crystal clear the dates are wrong

Hebrew Calendar

Unfortunately your dates are incorrect.

Brian Schuh

That's 657 years Gregorian style and much more if we use the shorted years of the Hebrew calendar with its twelve lunar months of 29 - 30 days

Convert a date

Hebrew Calendar

The Hebrew calendar has a 19 year cycle, 7 years of which have 13 lunar months per year. The other 12 years have 12 lunar months per year. So every 19 years the gregorian and Hebrew years coincide.

Secondly, the Persian period had only 4 kings. Whereas secular historians count as many as a dozen or more. Daniel 11. "There are yet 3 more kings in Persia, the 4th shall be wealthier than them all." and this was said at the time Babylon fell to the Medes.

Brian Schuh

Convert a date

Hebrew Calendar

So therefore, Solomon's temple actually fell in 421 B.C.E. (Before the Common Error.)

Consult www.chabad.org to help you understand.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for your response
The Hebrew calendar has a 19 year cycle, 7 years of which have 13 lunar months per year. The other 12 years have 12 lunar months per year. So every 19 years the gregorian and Hebrew years coincide.
I accept the correct in regards the calendar.

Secondly, the Persian period had only 4 kings. Whereas secular historians count as many as a dozen or more. Daniel 11. "There are yet 3 more kings in Persia, the 4th shall be wealthier than them all." and this was said at the time Babylon fell to the Medes.
Which Persian Kings are in or out? Which reputable mainstream historians would agree with this?

So therefore, Solomon's temple actually fell in 421 B.C.E. (Before the Common Error.)
and this?
Best Wishes

Brian Schuh

Which Persian Kings are in or out? Which reputable mainstream historians would agree with this?

and this?
B

and this?
Best Wishes
According to the Seeder Olam Rabbah, 1. Darius the Made. 2. King Cyrus. 3. Ahasuerus. and 4. Darius who is also called Artaxerxes, but all the Persian kings were called Artaxerxes just like all kings of Egypt were called pharaoh. There was also a Cambysus (sp?) the tradition says the Persian period lasted 52 years. The secular historians have claimed the Persian period lasted anywhere from 167 to 246 years depending whom you consult.

I rest on scripture. Daniel said from Darius the Mede, 3 more Persian kings shall arise before Alexander the Great. That is my proof text, in Daniel 11.

Brian Schuh

According to the Seeder Olam Rabbah, 1. Darius the Made. 2. King Cyrus. 3. Ahasuerus. and 4. Darius who is also called Artaxerxes, but all the Persian kings were called Artaxerxes just like all kings of Egypt were called pharaoh. There was also a Cambysus (sp?) the tradition says the Persian period lasted 52 years. The secular historians have claimed the Persian period lasted anywhere from 167 to 246 years depending whom you consult.

I rest on scripture. Daniel said from Darius the Mede, 3 more Persian kings shall arise before Alexander the Great. That is my proof text, in Daniel 11.
Forgive me, I am posting this on a cell phone not a computer. A couple typos. The Seder Olam Rabbah, and Darius the Mede. The previous spellings were typos.

omega2xx

The information provided is excellent. Thank you.

What would you use for the start and end of the 490 years calculation?

I have never found a good answer to that question. I have an answer that even I don't like. I have commentary on Daniel that I will restudy this week and to find a good answer. If I do I will get back to you in a few . If I don't I will you my best guess.