• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Setting out on a new road? I think so.

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
If I can venture or hazard a guess, speaking somewhat from personal experience, it's because it's so radically different from western thought, especially Christianity. It may appeal to some westerners because they do have an affinity for certain eastern philosophies, and they find there is a name for it. Attraction to the eastern philosophies may also be a rebellion against the dogma of western philosophy and religion.

I have a feeling that it is the latter. Much of the nonsense that Abhinavagupta advocates (in the Tantrālokaḥ) is unorthodox even by Tāntrika standards; he's also quite misogynistic and supports the view that male sādhaka-s should have sex with dūtī-s (prostitute women whom he views as dvāra-s to mokṣa):

क्षुभ्नात्यनुचक्राण्यपि तानि तदा तन्मयानि न पृथक्तु।
इत्थं यामलमेतद्गलितभिदासंकथं यदेव स्यात्॥२९.११५॥
क्रमतारतम्ययोगात्सैव हि संविद्विसर्गसङ्घट्टः।
तद्ध्रुवधामानुत्तरमुभयात्मकजगदुदारसानन्दम्॥२९.११६॥
नो शान्तं नाप्युदितं शान्तोदितसूतिकारणं परं कौलम्।
अनवच्छिन्नपदेप्सुस्तां संविदमात्मसात्सदा कुर्यात्॥२९.११७॥

Blech...and I haven't even mentioned how he supports the offering of wine, alcohol, and sex to the devyaḥ. :cover:

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You are probably right. There may also be the desire to be part of an esoteric group.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Best wishes as usual, Brother.

In my time and searching, what hasn't really changed is my intention in doing any of it,
to over simplify a bit.....

Maybe that's a good question to ask yourself?

Not too tight or too loose like the guitar string metaphor for beliefs and practice...
Or even which guitar or instrument you are playing, I would say.....

But.... 'Why am I playing ANYthing in the first place?' maybe?

:namaste

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Best wishes as usual, Brother.

In my time and searching, what hasn't really changed is my intention in doing any of it,
to over simplify a bit.....

Maybe that's a good question to ask yourself?

Not too tight or too loose like the guitar string metaphor for beliefs and practice...
Or even which guitar or instrument you are playing, I would say.....

But.... 'Why am I playing ANYthing in the first place?' maybe?

:namaste

Thanks. I've greatly simplified things, and I feel a lot better for it... no dogma, no rituals, no worship per se; just trust and faith and attempting to practice and live the best I can based on precepts, for the benefit of others. :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Right on.

Even if for just a time, it can make 'the middle' closer to an actual middle way,
which is still a bit of swaying left and right.

:)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Yes, I am prone to analysis paralysis. Keep in mind I am hypomanic/depressive bipolar (type 2), have g.a.d. (general anxiety disorder), o.c.p.d. (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, different from o.c.d.) and Asperger's. So I'm pretty much a mess even with medications. :eek:
I am sorry to hear that, but I am also becoming aware that a lot of us are in the same boat here.

I had to calm down another on RF'er on a 'manic high' a couple of days ago...I won't mention any names.

I don't have Bi-Polar, but I have GAD & Clinical Depression which love to alternate. I also have Asperger's Disorder, Asocial Personality Disorder and OCPD.

We are very analytical (why doesn't my spell-checker recognise this as a word?) but we also have a rather short attention span when it comes to things that do not immediately interest us.

One thing we know...one thing you should be aware of, is that it's very difficult for other humans to 'pigeonhole' us in one of their nice little 'comfy, confining boxes' anyway. We are seen as being 'this, not that' or 'not anything they know/have ever heard about before' and religion shouldn't be any different.

You have probably already been told: 'you are not a Hindu/Buddhist if you don't agree with this/follow this way'...but that is what they believe and for every piece of scripture that says one thing, I can find another that states the opposite entirely...then they say 'that's because my scripture is 'right' and yours is wrong' etc

All I can say, is 'I do not care if other human beings don't believe I am Hindu, I know I am and what others say/believe isn't worth anything. They are all ignorant and don't know what they are talking about' - at least that helps me sleep better at night.

Once you come to the realisation that whatever anybody else tells you is all a crock of steaming dung, and you pray, worship, do whatever your Guru has taught you...whatever your own Hindu holy books have taught you...nothing else matters.

It's up to you to find that strength within...to choose your path and not falter...not sway...not give-in to public opinion. If they are going to judge you, remind them that God judges, not individual egos with an agenda.

Become a 'spiritual warrior' for the cause of God and ignore all the 'oh, he's just insane...don't pay any attention to him and avoid him like AIDS' remarks that follow.

Having Aspies, you should be pleased you don't have to deal with such human trash. It makes life a lot easier to live and your sadhana has absolutely zero distractions or interruptions.

So, please just contemplate what I have read and even if you chuck me into the pile of garbage, just give it a thought.

All the best.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have Bi-Polar, but I have GAD & Clinical Depression which love to alternate. I also have Asperger's Disorder, Asocial Personality Disorder and OCPD.

I'm sorry to hear about your conditions too, but I think that rather than fight them we should embrace them, maybe learn from them. To fight them is to go against the Tao, not in a sinful way, however. The down and dirty is that the Tao is about, in part, rolling with the punches, going with the flow. Not being passive, but not resisting.

We are very analytical (why doesn't my spell-checker recognise this as a word?) but we also have a rather short attention span when it comes to things that do not immediately interest us.

Tell it, tell it! I have a lot of books I've collected, but I have a hard time getting into them, interested in the subject as I may be. What does that say about the books I collected because I thought I had to? What does it say... ? It says they're going to the library for the Eastern Philosophies & Religion section! That's what that says! :D

One thing we know...one thing you should be aware of, is that it's very difficult for other humans to 'pigeonhole' us in one of their nice little 'comfy, confining boxes' anyway. We are seen as being 'this, not that' or 'not anything they know/have ever heard about before' and religion shouldn't be any different.

That's one reason why I can't pick one path in its entirety but have to cherry-pick. I'm a collector and hunter-gatherer at heart. Books, clothes, statues... religions. :biglaugh:

You have probably already been told: 'you are not a Hindu/Buddhist if you don't agree with this/follow this way'...

All I can say, is 'I do not care if other human beings don't believe I am Hindu, I know I am and what others say/believe isn't worth anything. ...

It's up to you to find that strength within...to choose your path and not falter...not sway...not give-in to public opinion. If they are going to judge you, remind them that God judges, not individual egos with an agenda.

So, please just contemplate what I have read and even if you chuck me into the pile of garbage, just give it a thought.

All the best.

I agree with all of that, and then some. :) Unfortunately I've also been guilty at times of the my-way-or-the-highway mindset.