• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self-humiliation is always good?

questfortruth

"When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him; And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room. But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee." Luke 14:8-10

OK. YOU CAME TO WEDDING AND DID SIT ON THE MOST LOW ROOM. WHILE YOU ARE SITING THERE ARE YOU ALLOWED TO THINK THAT YOU DESERVE A HIGHER ROOM? ARE YOU ALLOWED TO THINK THAT GOD WILL TAKE YOU FROM YOUR EXTREMEST SELF-HUMILIATION TO HIGHEST ROOM?

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
ARE YOU ALLOWED TO THINK THAT GOD WILL TAKE YOU FROM YOUR EXTREMEST SELF-HUMILIATION TO HIGHEST ROOM?

Yes, by sofa or davenport, for so it is written:

"Wherein they will hear no unsuitable speech. Within it is a flowing spring. Within it are couches raised high" - Qu'ran Al-Ghashiyah 88:11

amorphous_constellation

I'm not even sure what they mean exactly, by this talk of seat arrangement. It kind of seems subjective. It is subjective: even if you were at the 'lowest' seat, you would still probably have a person near you to talk with, and they are unlikely to be less interesting than the people in the higher location, given that the collection of people, at the wedding, can't possibly be composed of the most random people. Therefore, it cannot be likely that a magnitude of humiliation would assume your person, were you to dine and gab with one diner over the other.

I myself am at an age where I have chosen merely not attend formal occasions, so I don't have any of these problems. I'm not going to a wedding, that sounds boring.