• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Self appointed Apostle Paul Vs Yashu'a teaching

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Okay, so who determines whether the meaning of such words doesn't conform to their beliefs? How could one determine for example, that the Jews at the time of the Bible's writing did in fact mean the equivalent of "Hades" by "Sheol" at that it was NOT just "Hellenization" but an essentially similar idea of a real place for real "Spirits of the dead"? At what point do we determine that there's no evidence that the ancient Israelites didn't believe there were NOT souls? At what point do we determine that "Spirit" can mean both "life" itself as well as an actual entity inside that lives on as its used in Psalms and other writings? How do we determine that when Jesus spoke of hell and hellfire and the Spirit which can be destroyed there, that he was being completely literal and using concepts that were accepted as real by the Ancient Jews?

How do we determine for example that the evidence clearly implies that Jesus was teaching nothing less than full obedience to the Mosaic Law and that when he said "Til Heaven and Earth collapse" he actually meant it literally?

How do we determine that the evidence indicates that the Ebionites were most likely among the closest to the original Followers of the Disiciples of Jesus?

How would we determine that the evidence indicates that Paul was not an authentic apostle and that those who disputed him may not have been wrong? What evidence indicates that Paul's writings are legitimate? What evidence indicates that the Tubingen school was wrong about Paul? Or wrong about the idea that the Council of Jerusalem was interpolated (which several other scholars agree with)? What evidence indicates that the disputed Deutero-Pauline letters are authentic and that the arguments against them are wrong?

What evidence makes it necessary to view Paul as an authentic apostle?

How do we determine that the people who rejected the NT Apocrypha were right? How do we determine that the people who suppressed the Gospel of Mary and the Acts of Peter were wrong? By our own interpretation of Theology?

These are examples of things of which the "evidence" is disputable.

I most certainly agree that people should adjust their views to the evidence though.

The question is, what is the evidence and what do we do with multiple interpretations of the same evidence?

you've got a lot of really good questions here, and i think the best answer I can give is that we have a single textbook, the bible, from which to draw our 'conclusions'

We know that book contains the answer, hopefully we do believe that the bible is Gods word and that what it states is truth according to Gods view. And hopefully we are searching for truth according to Gods view, otherwise whats the point, right?

If we are seeking Gods view, then let it be shown through the pages of the bible...let the bible interpret itself.

Shermana

Heretic
you've got a lot of really good questions here, and i think the best answer I can give is that we have a single textbook, the bible, from which to draw our 'conclusions'

We know that book contains the answer, hopefully we do believe that the bible is Gods word and that what it states is truth according to Gods view. And hopefully we are searching for truth according to Gods view, otherwise whats the point, right?

If we are seeking Gods view, then let it be shown through the pages of the bible...let the bible interpret itself.

But isn't that circular reasoning?

What evidence would you accept that the traditional Canon is not correct?

What evidence would you accept that Paul's epistles should NOT be considered scripture?

And even if one is going by the traditional Bible, how do they acknowledge what the pages of the Bible have shown to be true as one interprets them? How do they know their interpretation is right? What if Paul is actually promoting total obedience to the Law and was instead grossly misinterpreted to mean things he didn't mean?

If it was as simple as letting the Bible interpret itself, why do we have top Bible scholars who disagree on not just the meanings but how to translate critical passages?

What about situations where critical passages have different manuscript versions?

How do we know if the alleged Jerusalem Council in question gave 4 commands and not 3 like many manuscripts state?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But isn't that circular reasoning?

What evidence would you accept that the traditional Canon is not correct?

there is a paper trail for the manuscripts, there are so many which can be checked and cross checked that we can be 100 % sure that what we have is correct today.

But besides that, you have to ask yourself is you really believe that God would leave mankind without knowledge of him. Would he really have rules that he wants us to follow, but not inform us of them?
And if his prophets really wrote his message to us, then do you not believe an allpowerful God has the ability to preserve his word???

Its like when the muslims claim that the bible has been changed and is not authentic anymore. What they are really saying is that God has no power to keep his message pure and available! The All-Mighty can't put a few words together and keep them circulating without some imperfect little people ruining his word.

Do you seriously believe that??? If you do, then you need to start putting a little more faith in God.

What evidence would you accept that Paul's epistles should NOT be considered scripture?

If there was evidence that the Apostles rejected Paul as a Christian teacher, then we should 100% reject his letters. But this is not the case. The Apostles NEVER rejected Paul or his writings... they spoke of Paul very highly and knew of his letters, read them, agreed with them and it was they who even commissioned Paul and supported his teachings.

To Reject Paul as a false teacher, i would also have to reject Luke who recorded Pauls missionary work and his acts, and i would have to reject the writings of the apostle John too because John speaks of Paul as a beloved fellow worker.

There is no reason whatsoever to reject Paul or his writings. It seems a lot of people reject those writings simply because they have an agenda when it comes to the mosaic law... they push for adherence to the mosaic law and that is a 'pre-defined' belief... its not based on the scriptures.

And even if one is going by the traditional Bible, how do they acknowledge what the pages of the Bible have shown to be true as one interprets them? How do they know their interpretation is right? What if Paul is actually promoting total obedience to the Law and was instead grossly misinterpreted to mean things he didn't mean?

do his teachings contradict Jesus? According to you they do because Jesus said 'the law will not pass away'
But what if you are wrong on what Jesus meant by that? What if Jesus actually meant the mosaic 'covenant'? What if he wasnt speaking about the 613 written laws but the covenant that those laws represented?.

If it was as simple as letting the Bible interpret itself, why do we have top Bible scholars who disagree on not just the meanings but how to translate critical passages?

What about situations where critical passages have different manuscript versions?

How do we know if the alleged Jerusalem Council in question gave 4 commands and not 3 like many manuscripts state?

scholars are not prophets are they? Is their word more valuable then the word of one of Gods prophets??

I dont think so. I think you need to be very careful in how much attention you give to scholars. Tell me this, if scholars know it all, then why did the scholars of Jesus day get the law so wrong? Jesus had to correct them over and over again.

So why are the scholars of today any different?

Shermana

Heretic
there is a paper trail for the manuscripts, there are so many which can be checked and cross checked that we can be 100 % sure that what we have is correct today.

But interpretation of this paper trail is...up to interpretation.

We have Bibles like the Sinaiticus that included the Shepherd of Hermas. We have Church Fathers that accepted it as Inspired. The Muratorian fragment merely says that it should not be read "Among the Apostles and prophets", which by no means says it isn't Inspired, which could be saying to include it as a "writing".

This "paper trail" is virtually meaningless. This paper trail includes what was widely considered "Antilegemona", books that were disputed and not universally accepted until much later. Do we just assume that the paper trail after the 400-600s assumes what is correct? Why should we reject the books that the "orthodox" Church rejected? Why should we assume that just because certain books got rejected like the Gospel of Mary Magdalene that they should not be canonical? Why should we reject Paul's supposed third letter to the Corinthians? The Armenian church accepted it.

The modern scholarly paper trail seems to think several of Paul's letters were inauthentic.

Just because the gentile anti-Judaizers thought Paul's epistles were scripture, does that mean they were? What of the paper trail of works like the Clementine Literature in which the Ebionites, who were likely among the closest to the original Jewish Christians at the time, flatly used code to call Paul a false apostle?

The Paper trail seems to indicate Enoch was considered prophetic and Inspired, especially so by Jude, as well as the Assumption of Moses, the Latin Copy we have many scholars agree was corresponded to the same writ that Jude was referring to. The "Paper Trail" is not so much a trail. It's a series of footprints leading in different directions, of which there are conflicting beliefs about where they lead to and come from.

But besides that, you have to ask yourself is you really believe that God would leave mankind without knowledge of him

I'd rather ask why God would not want us to try to piece together the clues and blindly believe in some official document that not all the Christians agreed on until centuries after the disputes. Why would God leave us with different manuscript versions, especially with textual issues in critical places, assuming he even left us an official Canon? Why would he leave the entire Ethiopian Population in the dark with false beliefs like that 1 and 2 Clement were canonical, or that Enoch was? Why would he lead Christianity to believe the Apocrypha was legitimate if it wasn't?

Would he really have rules that he wants us to follow, but not inform us of them?

Why not? Perhaps he figured that the gift of prophecy would solve the issue created by untrustworthy scribes and compilers of canon. It seems Josephus had a different version of Exodus than what we know today, what else was different in the Jewish texts back then? Why would he allow critical issues in the Manuscript of the NT to have different versions so we would not know what exactly is being said?

And if his prophets really wrote his message to us, then do you not believe an allpowerful God has the ability to preserve his word???

This is a very common fallacy especially used by KJV-onlyists. The "ability" to is much different than the willingness to. I hold that he has given prophets the means to understand among those who are close to the truth, and they have been very rare, far and few in between, and rather isolated and in between the cracks. I believe there's a similar situation as what happened with the Babylonian exile, where the scripture was not known and had to be completely redictated.

Its like when the muslims claim that the bible has been changed and is not authentic anymore.

I believe they have a point, and any scholar would agree.
What they are really saying is that God has no power to keep his message pure and available!

Again, this is confusing ability with willingness.

The All-Mighty can't put a few words together and keep them circulating without some imperfect little people ruining his word.

Apparently he had this problem before during the Babylonian exile when the knowledge of the scripture got lost. I also believe he has kept "70 books hidden for the wise". I also believe he will let those know what he wants to be known for those He wishes to know it.

Do you seriously believe that??? If you do, then you need to start putting a little more faith in God.

I have plenty of faith in God. What I have little faith in is man's doctrine and reasoning when it comes to such things. I have so much faith in God that I believe he'll tell Prophets what His word actually is and where things went wrong. Apparently this faith in God doesn't apply in places like Ethiopia?

If there was evidence that the Apostles rejected Paul as a Christian teacher, then we should 100% reject his letters.

There may in fact be evidence that the Book of Revelation and the Epistle of James were reactions against Paul. This boils down to interpretation. There may be evidence that the Council of Jerusalem episode was entirely forged. How do we determine this evidence to be valid or not?

But this is not the case.

What's not the case is that we have a clear cut answer either way.

The Apostles NEVER rejected Paul or his writings... they spoke of Paul very highly and knew of his letters, read them, agreed with them and it was they who even commissioned Paul and supported his teachings.

See, you are using 2 Peter, a hugely disputed book, that was classified as Antilegemona even among the 4th century Christians, as the basis for your evidence. You are also acting as if the Council of Jerusalem is completely verified and authentic as if we can brush off all the claims of scholars who say otherwise. Just because you say so? Who determines if they are wrong?

To Reject Paul as a false teacher, i would also have to reject Luke who recorded Pauls missionary work and his acts, and i would have to reject the writings of the apostle John too because John speaks of Paul as a beloved fellow worker.

You'll have to remind me where John specifically speaks of Paul this way. Luke also records some of the most Pro-Law sentiment of Jesus. There has been increasing belief in the 20th century that Luke did NOT write Acts. The "We" passage issue is loaded, and the defenses are shaky.

There is no reason whatsoever to reject Paul or his writings.

Because you said so? Because the dubious 2 Peter says he was simply misunderstood? Because he agrees with your Theology?

It seems a lot of people reject those writings simply because they have an agenda when it comes to the mosaic law...

It seems a lot of people accept Paul because they have an agenda when it comes to Mosaic Law.
they push for adherence to the mosaic law and that is a 'pre-defined' belief... its not based on the scriptures.

Ah, and what evidence would you accept that this "pre-defined" belief is in fact based on the scriptures? Would Acts 21 do? (The issue of 21:25 being an interpolation not withstanding here)?

See, you're demonstrating exactly the kind of circular reasoning and interpretative issues at stake here.

do his teachings contradict Jesus? According to you they do because Jesus said 'the law will not pass away'

Correct.

But what if you are wrong on what Jesus meant by that? What if Jesus actually meant the mosaic 'covenant'?

A perfect example of where we can twist the text to mean what we want to escape what the evidence directly indicates.

scholars are not prophets are they? Is their word more valuable then the word of one of Gods prophets??

More circular reasoning, you are assuming the issue in question is written by prophets. I think the evidence squarely indicates it was NOT. The Council of Jerusalem episode and 2 Peter were clearly forged. A blind belief that they weren't doesn't defeat the scholar's arguments.

I dont think so. I think you need to be very careful in how much attention you give to scholars.

I think you need to be careful with circular reasoning.

Tell me this, if scholars know it all, then why did the scholars of Jesus day get the law so wrong?

Are you seriously trying to compare the two?

Jesus had to correct them over and over again.

The "scholars" in Jesus's day were not referring to textual issues but interpretative issues of the Law itself. Interpreting Jesus's words, even if its related to interpreting the Law, is a much different ballgame. Whose translation is correct now that the language is dead? Without scholars, we wouldn't know where to begin on looking at manuscript versions for textual and higher criticism issues. Are you basically attempting to dismiss the entire idea of scholarship? Weren't the people who assembled the Roman NT Canon "Scholars"?

So why are the scholars of today any different?

Because those "Scholars" were not anything close to the type of "scholars" we are looking at here. Your comparison of the scribes and Pharisees is an example of the problematic reasoning when dealing with issues of "evidence". We're talking about historians and grammarians and people who have examined the evidence and the "paper trail", not people who were debating whether Shammai or Hillel had it right. Besides, how to interpret Jesus's words requires someone like Jesus to tell us in your view. So where is this Jesus in modern day to tell us what Jesus meant? Where is the modern Jesus to even tell us which manuscript version got it right?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Because those "Scholars" were not anything close to the type of "scholars" we are looking at here. Your comparison of the scribes and Pharisees is an example of the problematic reasoning when dealing with issues of "evidence". We're talking about historians and grammarians and people who have examined the evidence and the "paper trail", not people who were debating whether Shammai or Hillel had it right. Besides, how to interpret Jesus's words requires someone like Jesus to tell us in your view. So where is this Jesus in modern day to tell us what Jesus meant? Where is the modern Jesus to even tell us which manuscript version got it right?

im not going to argue all those points with you,

but i will just comment here that Jesus put a similar question to his disciples....and the reason is because he knew that his teachings would be corrupted and misapplied. He even gave a parable describing it in the illustration of the 'Weeds in the Field'

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said: “Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time? 43 Happy is that slave, if his master on arriving finds him doing so!

Jesus words indicate that, even when there is much confusion going on amongst Christians, there will be someone 'appointed' to make provisions for Christs followers.
And one thing i know for sure, that 'someone' is certainly not going to be a scholar who trashes the Word of God as a mere fable full of contradictions. It will have to be someone who respects the Word of God enough to actually standby it and defend it against naysayers.

Shermana

Heretic
im not going to argue all those points with you,

but i will just comment here that Jesus put a similar question to his disciples....and the reason is because he knew that his teachings would be corrupted and misapplied. He even gave a parable describing it in the illustration of the 'Weeds in the Field'

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said: “Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time? 43 Happy is that slave, if his master on arriving finds him doing so!

Jesus words indicate that, even when there is much confusion going on amongst Christians, there will be someone 'appointed' to make provisions for Christs followers.
And one thing i know for sure, that 'someone' is certainly not going to be a scholar who trashes the Word of God as a mere fable full of contradictions. It will have to be someone who respects the Word of God enough to actually standby it and defend it against naysayers.

So basically you won't actually accept any evidence that the traditional Canon is not necessarily the Word of God, or that Paul was not an authentic apostle.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So basically you won't actually accept any evidence that the traditional Canon is not necessarily the Word of God, or that Paul was not an authentic apostle.

if real evidence is available now, why wasnt it available late in the first century when the Apostle John was still alive? He never indicated that Paul was a false apostle... mind you, Paul was put to death around 60CE and John was still alive in 90CE... so its not like there was no time for John to inform the congregations that Paul was a false teacher.

You dont smell something fishy about that?

From my point of view, if Paul was a false apostle, there is no way the christian congregation would have continued with him. Some other christian teachers were named in the scriptures and disfellowshiped from the congregation because of false teachings...so if Paul was considered a false teacher, why wasnt he named and expelled too? why were his writings still being read in congregations all over the earth at that time?

It makes no sense to claim he was a false teacher when he was so readily accepted by the Apostles. And this is reason enough to reject the claim by some that Paul was a false teacher. the apostles were hand chosen by Christ to teach his word to us... if you reject the teachings of the apostles in favor of someone else, then you are no longer learning from an authoritative source.

Shermana

Heretic
if real evidence is available now, why wasnt it available late in the first century when the Apostle John was still alive? He never indicated that Paul was a false apostle... mind you, Paul was put to death around 60CE and John was still alive in 90CE... so its not like there was no time for John to inform the congregations that Paul was a false teacher.

You dont smell something fishy about that?

From my point of view, if Paul was a false apostle, there is no way the christian congregation would have continued with him. Some other christian teachers were named in the scriptures and disfellowshiped from the congregation because of false teachings...so if Paul was considered a false teacher, why wasnt he named and expelled too? why were his writings still being read in congregations all over the earth at that time?

It makes no sense to claim he was a false teacher when he was so readily accepted by the Apostles. And this is reason enough to reject the claim by some that Paul was a false teacher. the apostles were hand chosen by Christ to teach his word to us... if you reject the teachings of the apostles in favor of someone else, then you are no longer learning from an authoritative source.

Quite simply, the anti-Judaizers liked the anti-Judaizing message.

The Judaizers didn't like the Anti-Judaizing message.

And on a side note I take the view that John wrote Revelation in 67 A.D., the 90 A.D. interpretation is based on some of the same type of scholarly arguments I imagine you'd reject as well.

Who says Paul wasn't rejected as the "False teacher of Ephesus"?

http://false-apostle-paul-archive.blogspot.com/2010/03/paul-false-apostle-of-ephesus.html

The Book of Revelation, which was considered Antilegemona by the anti-Judaizers at first, may have in fact been a very pro-Jewish, pro-Law, anti-Paul document.

Just because the early gentile Christians after the mid 2nd century agreed on something doesn't mean it was considered authentic by the true Nazarene Jewish heirs of the original message.

If that somehow makes it "Authoritative", we should also include books that the earliest gentile Christians considered authoritative. You are rejecting the Shepherd of Hermas, which was widely circulated and considered writ until much later in Christian history for example.

You keep insisting that Paul was readily accepted by the Apostles. But that simply isn't necessarily true. That basically is just a jump around the evidence that 2 Peter is in fact forged, and the interpretations of the evidence that the Council of Jerusalem was in fact interpolated. The manuscripts couldn't even get their stories straight on whether 3 or 4 commands were given. And even top Christian conservative scholars say it clashes with Galatians 2 and desparately try to act like its referring to a separate episode to save face. You said something about John including Paul as an apostle, where is this?

What we see if anything is the Epistle of James acting as a sort of counter-view to what was either a misinterpretation of Paul's message, or Paul's message altogether.

You even showed that you could completely twist the text of Jesus to saying the "Law" simply means "The Covenant" in which then you could repaint and redefine what this "Covenant" means, especially apart from its clear cut context of what it means in Jeremiah.

We have evidence that the book of Revelation only mentions having 12 apostles, and says that the true saints "obey the commandments" as in the entirety of the Law. So was Revelation written to non-Pauline Christians? It was necessarily, indisputably written to Pro-Law Christians, and the "False teacher of Ephesus" who teaches men it's okay to eat idol-sacrificed meat sure sounds like a certain someone....

I mean you're totally welcome to believe your interpretations of the evidence based on what you consider "Authoritative" in a circular way, totally disregarding things like that 2 Peter was even doubted by the early church members, and bypassing the very issues in question such as whether Paul was in fact accepted by the Apostles (according to the Clementine literature, he was most definitely not but was considered an enemy), so basically your "evidence" involves ignoring the contrary evidence, and redefining and reinterpreting the textual evidence of what Jesus says in relation to how it translates to your interpretation of the Pauline works.

Unless you can decisively prove that all the scholars who contest the Council of Jerusalem episode and point out that it totally clashes with Galatians 2 are wrong, you haven't dispelled the evidence against this view.

All in all, the evidence is quite clear that there was in fact a clash between the Judaizers and Anti-Judaizers, and the anti-Judaizers managed to win through what was possibly fraudulent interpolation methods and use of force against the Nazarene and Ebionite groups, and that Jesus's message was ONLY meant for a Law-obedient Israelite culture, and that anything less was totally warping it away.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Quite simply, the anti-Judaizers liked the anti-Judaizing message.

The Judaizers didn't like the Anti-Judaizing message.

And on a side note I take the view that John wrote Revelation in 67 A.D., the 90 A.D. interpretation is based on some of the same type of scholarly arguments I imagine you'd reject as well.

Who says Paul wasn't rejected as the "False teacher of Ephesus"?

Saul of Tarsus - False Apostle Paul Archive: Paul the false apostle of Ephesus !

The Book of Revelation, which was considered Antilegemona by the anti-Judaizers at first, may have in fact been a very pro-Jewish, pro-Law, anti-Paul document.

Just because the early gentile Christians after the mid 2nd century agreed on something doesn't mean it was considered authentic by the true Nazarene Jewish heirs of the original message.

If that somehow makes it "Authoritative", we should also include books that the earliest gentile Christians considered authoritative. You are rejecting the Shepherd of Hermas, which was widely circulated and considered writ until much later in Christian history for example.

You keep insisting that Paul was readily accepted by the Apostles. But that simply isn't necessarily true. That basically is just a jump around the evidence that 2 Peter is in fact forged, and the interpretations of the evidence that the Council of Jerusalem was in fact interpolated. The manuscripts couldn't even get their stories straight on whether 3 or 4 commands were given. And even top Christian conservative scholars say it clashes with Galatians 2 and desparately try to act like its referring to a separate episode to save face. You said something about John including Paul as an apostle, where is this?

What we see if anything is the Epistle of James acting as a sort of counter-view to what was either a misinterpretation of Paul's message, or Paul's message altogether.

You even showed that you could completely twist the text of Jesus to saying the "Law" simply means "The Covenant" in which then you could repaint and redefine what this "Covenant" means, especially apart from its clear cut context of what it means in Jeremiah.

We have evidence that the book of Revelation only mentions having 12 apostles, and says that the true saints "obey the commandments" as in the entirety of the Law. So was Revelation written to non-Pauline Christians? It was necessarily, indisputably written to Pro-Law Christians, and the "False teacher of Ephesus" who teaches men it's okay to eat idol-sacrificed meat sure sounds like a certain someone....

I mean you're totally welcome to believe your interpretations of the evidence based on what you consider "Authoritative" in a circular way, totally disregarding things like that 2 Peter was even doubted by the early church members, and bypassing the very issues in question such as whether Paul was in fact accepted by the Apostles (according to the Clementine literature, he was most definitely not but was considered an enemy), so basically your "evidence" involves ignoring the contrary evidence, and redefining and reinterpreting the textual evidence of what Jesus says in relation to how it translates to your interpretation of the Pauline works.

Unless you can decisively prove that all the scholars who contest the Council of Jerusalem episode and point out that it totally clashes with Galatians 2 are wrong, you haven't dispelled the evidence against this view.

All in all, the evidence is quite clear that there was in fact a clash between the Judaizers and Anti-Judaizers, and the anti-Judaizers managed to win through what was possibly fraudulent interpolation methods and use of force against the Nazarene and Ebionite groups, and that Jesus's message was ONLY meant for a Law-obedient Israelite culture, and that anything less was totally warping it away.

there are an endless number of people with contesting theories and opposing views... but you know who i trust? I trust the scriptures over all of them. Its that simple.

Moses said that a true prophets words will come true. That is the test for a true prophet of God... Pauls prophecies have come true. So I trust Moses more then i trust the people who think PHD gives them authority over the Servants of God.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Let's examine Paul's use of scripture. (In a contested book which you believe was in fact by Paul)

Here he quotes Psalm 68:18 in Ephesians 4:8

7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why ita says:
“When he ascended on high,
he took many captives
and gave gifts to his people.”b

9(What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regionsc ? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)

Let's look at Psalm 68:18

The chariots of God are tens of thousandsand thousands of thousands;
the Lord has come from Sinai into his sanctuary.g
18When you ascended on high,
you took many captives;
you received gifts from people,
even fromh the rebellious—
that you,i Lord God, might dwell there.

Now what evidence would you accept that Ephesians 4:8 does not in any way remotely quote Psalm 68:18 in anything close to correct context? Did he give gifts or receive them?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
there are an endless number of people with contesting theories and opposing views... but you know who i trust? I trust the scriptures of them. Its that simple.

Moses said that a true prophets words will come true. That is the test for a true prophet of God... Pauls prophecies have come true. So I trust Moses more then i trust the people who think PHD gives them authority over the Servants of God.

Paul's prophecies have come true? That days would come when many would distort the truth and the world would be filled with sin and evil? Or the one where he said his generation would be the one to fly into the air to meet Jesus in the clouds?

I could give you plenty of people who made accurate predictions, so where does that put them? Moses also warned of anyone who taught to abandon Torah.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Paul's prophecies have come true? That days would come when many would distort the truth and the world would be filled with sin and evil? Or the one where he said his generation would be the one to fly into the air to meet Jesus in the clouds?

I could give you plenty of people who made accurate predictions, so where does that put them? Moses also warned of anyone who taught to abandon Torah.

i'll tell you what, if you can find me one reference to Paul being a false teacher or prophet in any of the gospels, or the letters of Peter, John, James and Jude, i'll accept it.

That would be all the evidence i need. But im not going to accept it based on the views of those who were not members of Jesus chosen few.

Shermana

Heretic
i'll tell you what, if you can find me one reference to Paul being a false teacher or prophet in any of the gospels, or the letters of Peter, John, James and Jude, i'll accept it.

That would be all the evidence i need. But im not going to accept it based on the views of those who were not members of Jesus chosen few.

Why don't you start with the blatantly wrong interpretation of Psalm 68:18 in Ephesians 4:8, how do you explain that? What does that count as?

And of course, nothing about false teachers who teach others it's acceptable to eat meat sacrificed to idols.

If you're going to use Moses on one thing, why not use his rubric on another? Where does Deuteronomy 4:2 fit in?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
we dont observe a weekly sabbath.

Our sabbath is a little more involved then that. The original sabbath was a day of rest for the purpose of rejoicing in Jehovah and dedicating some time to worship.

But as a Jehovah's Witness, we enter a 'lifelong' sabbath by dedicating every day to our worship.

On a side note, every single day to Jews is a day to worship.

Not every day is a day of rest. The original Sabbath was not just about the purpose of rejoicing in God and dedicating time to worship. That's a total misconception. It was a day dedicated to sharing in His rest. Worship has little if anything to do with it. The fact that Jews met on Synagogue for Sabbath and read scripture on that day must be examined by the fact that you couldn't even ride your horse to this service, and you couldn't walk more than a mile to get there. Nor could you carry anything remotely heavy to get there.

Even the Holidays are Sabbaths, even if they aren't the "Sabbath day".

To suspend this day of rest as if it's to be no longer followed, a commandment which was to be for ALL generations, to the THOUSANDTH generation (not the 50th generation or so) by saying we now "worship God every day" is to completely rewrite and redefine what it means to "worship God" while acting as if one can "add or subtract" from the Torah something that was about "rest" and not even "Worship" to begin with.

Why would God want us to not even light a fire if its just about spending time to rejoice in Him? Not even cook food? Not even carry something out of your house? Hmmm, those are some strange restrictions about having a day simply dedicated to worshiping him. Apparently He doesn't even want you to light candles! You're not even supposed to do ANY work. You can't even buy or sell anything! You couldn't have a relaxing hike in the woods to contemplate Him. You couldn't even ride your donkey to get to Temple services! You couldn't even have your gentile servant do any work for you while you went out! So now all those strict requirements of this mistitled "day of worship" are to be followed every day? How is the idea of "worshiping God every day" remotely "more involved" than this?

Did Jews NOT Worship God on the 6 other days of the week? Did they not rejoice in Him?

I've seen this argument countless times that "Jesus is our rest", but rarely if ever does anyone know what this implies, they think this somehow translates to "Jesus is our rest from worrying about going to hell", as if the actual meaning of Sabbath suddenly changes to something not even remotely close to what it was!

The only way to enter a "Lifelong Sabbath" is to completely twist the meaning of "Sabbath" (rest) or to do absolutely no work every single day of the week. That includes no cooking or buying or selling or taking anything out of your house. To enter a "lifelong Sabbath" means you can never walk more than a mile a day from your home.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Why don't you start with the blatantly wrong interpretation of Psalm 68:18 in Ephesians 4:8, how do you explain that? What does that count as?

And of course, nothing about false teachers who teach others it's acceptable to eat meat sacrificed to idols.

If you're going to use Moses on one thing, why not use his rubric on another? Where does Deuteronomy 4:2 fit in?

carrying away captives was a common practice in ancient times... the victors of war could take captives to work as servants for them. Paul is using that scripture from Psalm as something which corresponds to what Jesus had done... Jesus was victorious and because of this, many became his willing servants or slaves. Hence why Paul says: “He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ, until we all attain to the oneness in the faith.”—Eph. 4:11-13.

Its not a false application of the Psalm... im not sure why you think it is???

Paul isnt teaching any such thing about meat. He is in fact telling christians it would be wrong to eat the meat “as something sacrificed to an idol" and that means not to eat with feeling of a reverence for the idol. (1 Cor. 8:7) So he is stressing obedience for Gods law in this case.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
carrying away captives was a common practice in ancient times... the victors of war could take captives to work as servants for them. Paul is using that scripture from Psalm as something which corresponds to what Jesus had done... Jesus was victorious and because of this, many became his willing servants or slaves. Hence why Paul says: “He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ, until we all attain to the oneness in the faith.”—Eph. 4:11-13.

Paul isnt teaching any such thing about meat. He is in fact telling christians it would be wrong to eat the meat “as something sacrificed to an idol" and that means not to eat with feeling of a reverence for the idol. (1 Cor. 8:7) So he is stressing obedience for Gods law in this case.

In Romans 14, he basically says you can do your own thing and that eating meat sacrificed to idols is OK if you don't take offense.

Ken Brown

In Romans 14, he basically says you can do your own thing and that eating meat sacrificed to idols is OK if you don't take offense.

Hi RR, the context of Romans 14 concerns eating "meat" versus only "vegetables/herbs," not about food or meat sacrificed/offered to an idol (v2). The other issue was "fasting" versus "eating." One may esteem a day as special to "fast" on, and they shouldn't require that a brother esteem the same "fast" day as they do (v5&6).

Concerning "food/meat sacrificed/offered to an idol," (1 Cor 8) Paul's attitude was that if you were being converted, you had to give up that belief in giving honor and recognition to a pagan diety/idol. A new convert was to come out from that sacrifical system of giving respect and homage by sharing in the idols sacrifices. Once a pagan was converted out from that former way of life, and they truly realized that the idol was nothing, then if they have an occasion to eat of something that had been sacrificed to an idol, go ahead and eat it. But if an unbeliever brings up that the food or meat was sacrificed to an idol, the believer should refuse for the sake of the unbeliever. The believer would want the unbeliever to give up their belief in that false god, and by refusing to eat, it would make the unbeliever question what they were doing (question their conscience). KB

Ken Brown

Hi Pegg, I am in agreement with you here. I would like to add a little about Paul's allowing a believer to eat meat that had been sacrificed to an idol, in saying that you could compare it to how a believer today should deal with Christmas and Easter. Someone who is coming into a knowledge of the truth should give up those "pagan" originated days, and start to worship on Elohim's Holy Days instead. They should no longer participate in the practice and worship of those "holidays," but that does not mean you can't go to a "christmas" sale at a store or use coupons for shopping those days, of even if your boss would try to give you a "christmas" bonus, as long as they do not state or make it an issue about it being something special for "christmas," then take it, but IF they make it an issue about being a "christmas" bonus, refuse to take it, and explain why. More than likely the boss will change it from a "christmas" bonus to an "end of the year" bonus. Thanks again for your explanations above. KB

Shermana

Heretic

For starters Pegg, does Psalm 68:18 say he "gave gifts" or that he "Received gifts"?

Makes a HUGE difference in the context. This is a famous issue Pegg, I'm far from the only to point this out.

Let's see what your NWT translates it as:

18You have ascended on high;
You have carried away captives;
You have taken gifts in the form of men,
Yes, even the stubborn ones, to reside [among them], O Jah God.

Oops.

I don't know how this one slipped by so easily. Even the apologists for this have some very cringe-worthy defenses, along the lines of it being okay to change a Bible verse if it suits your sermon or something.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Hi RR, the context of Romans 14 concerns eating "meat" versus only "vegetables/herbs," not about food or meat sacrificed/offered to an idol (v2). The other issue was "fasting" versus "eating." One may esteem a day as special to "fast" on, and they shouldn't require that a brother esteem the same "fast" day as they do (v5&6).

Concerning "food/meat sacrificed/offered to an idol," (1 Cor 8) Paul's attitude was that if you were being converted, you had to give up that belief in giving honor and recognition to a pagan diety/idol. A new convert was to come out from that sacrifical system of giving respect and homage by sharing in the idols sacrifices. Once a pagan was converted out from that former way of life, and they truly realized that the idol was nothing, then if they have an occasion to eat of something that had been sacrificed to an idol, go ahead and eat it. But if an unbeliever brings up that the food or meat was sacrificed to an idol, the believer should refuse for the sake of the unbeliever. The believer would want the unbeliever to give up their belief in that false god, and by refusing to eat, it would make the unbeliever question what they were doing (question their conscience). KB

So you are agreeing that Paul says its okay to eat idol sacrificed meat as long as you think the idol means nothing.

And I suppose that in Revelation, the warning against those who said this was okay were Christians who were actively teaching that the idols were something? I don't think so.

So in Ancient Israel, the law against eating idol-sacrificed meat only applied if you actually thought the idol represented something significant?

Last edited: