• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeker-friendly Quotes

Treks

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid." - Forgery based loosely on a passage from Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
The Gospel of Thomas:

http://gnosis.org/na

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"​

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.​

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."​

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
"Now, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html

Sees

Dragonslayer
9756ad90428726e0a8388b8bc56499fb.jpg

Treks

For Epictetus the key to inner well-being is to align what life give us with what we want or, in his language, align our will with the will of the gods or fate or what life gives us:

But I have never been hindered in my will, nor compelled when I did not will. And how is this possible? I have placed my movements toward action in obedience to God [fate]. Is it His will that I shall have fever? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should move toward anything? It is my will also. Is it His will that I should obtain anything? It is my wish also. Does He not will? I do not wish. Is it His will that I be put to the rack? It is my will then to die; it is my will then to be put to the rack. Who, then, is still able to hinder me contrary to my own judgement, or to compel me? No more than he can hinder or compel Zeus. (The Discourses, Book IV, Chapter 1)
http://reasonandmeaning.com/2015/02/21/epictetus-what-can-we-control/

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Trite, but always valid.

Be, here, now!

Be mindful, as your actions affect more than just you.

Treks

Trite, but always valid.

Be, here, now!

Be mindful, as your actions affect more than just you.

Yes! Mindfulness is at the heart of everything. We can't really "be" unless we cultivate mindfulness of here-and-now or else, where are we? Nowhere.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The monkey is reaching
For the moon in the water.
Until death overtakes him
He'll never give up.
If he'd let go the branch and
Disappear in the deep pool,
The whole world would shine
With dazzling pureness.