• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular Pro-Christian Arguments

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Now this forum name sounds rather odd, and somewhat contradictory, but I can assure you that it is not. Throughout my experiences with Christians a number of them use the Bible as justification for their religion, which is okay on some levels.

However, I am getting tired of the this-is-true-because-the-good-book-says-it's-true-and-the-good-book-is-true-because-the-good-book-says-the-good-book-is-true argument. Too many people stand upon it and it is only a good argument once the Bible is proven entirely true.

Now I've heard of sort of findings of tombs, geographical things or sunken ships that seem to have close relations to the Bible, and that is what I'm interested in for this thread. This is a chance for those who believe the Bible in all of its truth to go ahead and say because of events outside of the Bible that are proven, the Bible itself is true.

Feel free to throw out as many scenarios as you would like, but do NOT try and justify the Bible with an individual encounter with God, something strictly personal of that sort, or something in the Bible that says the Bible is true, because those things can only be true if the Bible is true. So I don't want this to become a thread full of scripture quotes; this is real life scenarios that can provide support for the Bible.

I think this could be quite interesting.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
I don't think geography etc. can prove the Bible's accuracy on religious matters.

I can write a book about the Easter Bunny living in my backyard.

So two thousand years later, when they find out my backyard was an actual place, should they believe the Easter Bunny lived there?

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I personally don't think any logical explanation can arise, however... I would like to see if they can support their religion with anything more than beliefs that they were raised on.

Moey

He is not asking about geography, he is inquiring about discoveries of tombs etc. that verify what the book says.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Many people believe that the scriptures don't have to be historically accurate to be the word of God. It's like a big parable, it's what God wants people to hear. In this case, there would be no physical evidence to support it.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I swear they would have to have something. Without even the slightest historical evidence there is no possible way I could see it as true!

Sonic247

fufilled prophecy from Daniel is good evidence. But sometimes it is hard to understand. But God's word is something that you know it's true if you really hear it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
no, religion is based on faith alone. if you have faith in the Bible and God then it will all seem true to you. if you don't have that faith, it will all just seem pointless. i really do not agree with you that if you read the bible with more concentration than you did last time, you will suddenly get the revelation that God exists.

d.

_______
Jistyr said:
I am getting tired of the this-is-true-because-the-good-book-says-it's-true-and-the-good-book-is-true-because-the-good-book-says-the-good-book-is-true argument.

Sonic247 said:
fufilled prophecy from Daniel is good evidence.

Sonic247

The Bible would be considered historical evidence, since it is written by more than one witness (from a human veiwpoint), the only reason it isn't is because it was written by Christians.