• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular Buddhism

do you identify with Secular Buddhism?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
crossfire said:
Actually, the poll indicates that there are three who admit to obsession.
So traditionalists are obsessives? That's a new one!:p
If you would care to read the posts and the suttas, you would understand that I was referring to identification/classification going according to obsession. Whatever.
"Monk, whatever one stays obsessed with, that's what one is measured by. Whatever one is measured by, that's how one is classified. Whatever one doesn't stay obsessed with, that's not what one is measured by. Whatever one isn't measured by, that's not how one is classified."

So classifications/identifications are according to ones obsessions.
The obsessions are: the obsession of sensual passion, the obsession of resistance, the obsession of views, the obsession of uncertainty, the obsession of conceit, the obsession of passion for becoming, and the obsession of ignorance.​

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami

So traditionalists are obsessives? That's a new one!:p

The last time I checked, "three who admit to obsession" does not mean "traditionalists are obsessives." Obsessions about any identity, whether traditionalist, conventional, secular, atheist, or otherwise, is a type of obsession to be done away with through the practice, which is what the Buddha teaches in the Bhikkhu Sutta (SN 22.36) and throughout the Pali Canon.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I'd just go with whatever crossfire and Ablaze say :D

Now if they start arguing, i'll be totally lost :thud:

Anyway, yeah, if we have to define what Buddhism is, it's about as simple accepting the 2 things to be develouped, the 3 marks of existence, the 4 noble truths, the 5 aggregates, the 6 senses, the 7 factors of enlightenment and the noble 8-fold path. Then if we skip a few numbers, there are also the 10 perfections, the 12 links of dependent-origination, the 37 factors of enlightenment and the 84 mahasiddhas. You also have to figure out the rule to that last sequence of numbers. What's the missing number?

After you get through mastering all of that, you'll probably get hit by a car, then die and forget about all of it and have to start over again somewhere else :shrug:

Good luck!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'd just go with whatever crossfire and Ablaze say :D

Now if they start arguing, i'll be totally lost :thud:
Don't want to lose you, Dreadfish! (Don't worry, I don't plan on arguing with Ablaze.)
What's the missing number?
108. (Beads on a mala.) I don't know what they mean, so it is 108 things (at least) that I'm ignorant of! :eek:

I wiki'd 108 (number)

Pretty interesting!

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
LOL! No. I found out that there are 108 delusions/forms of ignorance, though. (according to a web source) :help:

Shoot! So, like, thinking about the discursive details and conceptual semantics didn't reveal the secrets of reality to you?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste :namaste

If you would care to read the posts and the suttas, you would understand that I was referring to identification/classification going according to obsession. Whatever.

clasification can , and in this case is merely observation , there is no obsession from my side , it was just something I had observed over my time of practice .

"Monk, whatever one stays obsessed with, that's what one is measured by. Whatever one is measured by, that's how one is classified. Whatever one doesn't stay obsessed with, that's not what one is measured by. Whatever one isn't measured by, that's not how one is classified."
So classifications/identifications are according to ones obsessions.
The obsessions are: the obsession of sensual passion, the obsession of resistance, the obsession of views, the obsession of uncertainty, the obsession of conceit, the obsession of passion for becoming, and the obsession of ignorance.

it seems that you impute obsession on to the minds of others ..? rather than seeking to understand them ?
Originally Posted by crossfire

after all who knows we might be seeing something to which you are blind ?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I thought it was 84,000 deluded states of mind , therefore there would be 84,000forms of ignorance , .......

Good job, those are the next numbers in the sequence! :D

Now all you guys need to do is get your decoder rings and use them to decode the sequence of numbers to reveal enlightenment!

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Good job, those are the next numbers in the sequence! :D

Now all you guys need to do is get your decoder rings and use them to decode the sequence of numbers to reveal enlightenment!

Ha ... it is simple ask a tibetan ....84,000 deluded states of mind is a lot to deal with so reduce it by encapsulation to 21 , (stages on the path) ...21 meditations , .....devide 21 by 7 (my favorite number , ...pure coincidence or intuition?) ...which leaved 3 poisons , ....A lot easier to study , observe their distructive nature from a point of no self , there you have it , .....nirvana :D

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Ha ... it is simple ask a tibetan ....84,000 deluded states of mind is a lot to deal with so reduce it by encapsulation to 21 , (stages on the path) ...21 meditations , .....devide 21 by 7 (my favorite number , ...pure coincidence or intuition?) ...which leaved 3 poisons , ....A lot easier to study , observe their distructive nature from a point of no self , there you have it , .....nirvana :D

Well, send me a post card when you get there ;)

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami

Why can't 1 + 1 = nirvana? If only it was that easy. :D

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste luis :namaste

Unsure as to the difference. Are you sure there is any?

thank you for replying ,
it seems that some think that there is no need for distinctions between traditional buddhist thought and some of the more recent accretionsand adaptations .I am merly attempting to bring awareness to what we are beliving and where it came from ,
I am out of time now but will return to it later .

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
If you would care to read the posts and the suttas, you would understand that I was referring to identification/classification going according to obsession.

If you're saying attachment to views is a hindrance, then, yes, I agree. But identifying oneself with a particular school of thought as in this thread doesn't imply attachment to views, or "obsession".

If I asked "Do you identify with Buddhism" and you said "Yes", that wouldn't make you obsessive.

Sorry, I still think this point is tangential and off-topic, a red herring - perhaps a way of trying to shut down a discussion which some find uncomfortable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick O'Shez

The last time I checked, "three who admit to obsession" does not mean "traditionalists are obsessives."

But it does imply that people identifying themselves as traditionalists in this poll are obsessives.
I think you're point-scoring and nit-picking. Could we please return to the topic now?

Rick O'Shez

it seems that some think that there is no need for distinctions between traditional buddhist thought and some of the more recent accretionsand adaptations .

Clearly there are differences. Just as there are differences between the various schools and sub-schools of Buddhism.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
For a time, while I wouldn't identify myself as a secular Buddhist, I did like the idea. In some ways, I still do. It's a way to help westerners who may be interested in Buddhism accept it without having to go into the more religious aspects of it, and maybe, at some point, come to more fully accept Buddhism as a whole.

However, the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of secular Buddhism. If you can accept the Buddha's teachings on things like meditation, and the workings of the mind, and Buddhist ethics, then why reject the teachings on things like rebirth and karma? These are part and parcel of the teachings, and cannot be separated. The system works as a coherent whole. Get rid of one of it's parts, and, like removing a part of a car's engine, the whole thing stops working.