• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secret ingredient

King Phenomenon

Recipe: Chile in the Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook 14th edition

And the secret ingredient is cumin. It takes this dish from 3 stars to five.

What’s your secret ingredient for a specific recipe?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Bacon (and sometimes celery) in Bolognese sauce.
also in Bolognese sauce, completely replace water with red wine.

Chocolate in chili

Nutmeg or cinnamon in apple pie, rice pudding, roast pears etc.

I make our saturnalia rich fruit cake in September to give it time to mature plus I feed it a couple of table spoons of cognac each week until it's time to eat

Not an ingredient but... When making jam/conserve. Mix the fruit and sugar in a bowl, cover and leave it for 24 hours.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We were in the produce section, and I told my husband to pick me out something random. He got a case of blackberries. Internally, I panicked, but...

I'd decided I was going to make chili, and see what I could do with an unexpected ingredient. That was it.

The pot of chili was delicious, and everyone loved it. Later, my husband asked where his blackberries went...

:D

He was flabbergasted.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yup, still garlic.

Stir-fry? Garlic.
Mashed potatoes? Garlic.
Pasta dishes? Garlic.

Garlic, garlic, garlic, garlic.
Sweet corn: garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and perhaps some chili powder.
Peas: Garlic, butter, onion, salt and pepper.
Green beans: Garlic, sesame oil, salt, lots of pepper, and a touch of vinegar.
Broccoli: Garlic, butter, lemon, salt and pepper.

Works for me!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I dump red chili powder, garam masala, Old Bay seasoning, and turmeric into just about every hot dish I make. I have to go much lighter if someone else is eating with me, however, because few have my palate for hot.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When all you can taste is hot the meal is ruined. Spices should compliment the dish and enhance the flavor of a fish
Who said all I can taste is hot? Perhaps you just don't understand how to use these spices in combination. :shrug:

And I don't eat fish.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Who said all I can taste is hot? Perhaps you just don't understand how to use these spices in combination. :shrug:

And I don't eat fish.
There really is a trick to the combinations...

I can handle very spicy things without trouble. But, if done wrong, while I can handle the spice level, I can't taste anything but.