• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for a religion

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
That's the funny thing. It's not really a "search" is it? It's an understanding, or what you might call an "awakening". We only need to realize that what we are searching for is already there. It's been there all along. That part of us which "perceives" what we think is reality, is actually that part of "God" or "Existence" which is sleeping. Perception is but a dream, existence is reality. It is when we perceive the "I" that we are sleeping, but in "stillness of mind" there is no more "I" and all is "awakened" and ALL is ONE with that existence.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
That's the funny thing. It's not really a "search" is it? It's an understanding, or what you might call an "awakening". We only need to realize that what we are searching for is already there. It's been there all along. That part of us which "perceives" what we think is reality, is actually that part of "God" or "Existence" which is sleeping. Perception is but a dream, existence is reality. It is when we perceive the "I" that we are sleeping, but in "stillness of mind" there is no more "I" and all is "awakened" and ALL is ONE with that existence.
It seems to me that you may be familiar with Eckhart Tolle, haha. But yes, I agree. I'm merely hoping to find something to help me awaken, to fully realize the ultimate Truth.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ah, I wasn't aware of the actual span of time. Though do you mean in the 4th century? I can't quite recall the actual year. Though I believe it was relatively soon after the Canon.
It probably was, but I don't think Constantine had much of a say - if any, in it. He just wanted a stable country, I guess. Religion is the backbone of a country (although at the moment it's spending money like crazy so you've got none!!! X_X), a uniform religion = easier to look after.

My girlfriend is more knowledgeable about that, as she is the one who told me. I have yet to verify it for myself, but I have no reason to doubt her.
I get you. :) Let me know if you find it.

Well, there are other things that bother me. Such as how they swayed the Roman army. The Roman army worshiped a god that was born on the winter solstice of virgin birth (sound familiar?).
Oh yes, Mithras. :D However - The word virgin is a [mis]translation from the Hebrew word for, what is essentially, akin to the word maiden - a young, unmarried woman - however, since a young unmarried woman is generally going to be "without man"...! Quite simple how they got there, I guess.

And coincidentally, the Catholic Church claimed Jesus was born on that day.
Only later though. :)
However, if one recalls why Mary and Joseph returned to Bethlehem, it was because of the Roman census, where they measure the population of each town/village/city/what have you. The key thing is, the Roman Census always took place in spring, and supposedly, Mary was already about to give birth at the time they arrived in Bethlehem. Now unless Mary was pregnant for an extra 9 or so months, Jesus couldn't have really been born on the winter solstice, but in spring.
True. I think Jesus was born in about March or April, actually. The thing is, the Jews also used a different calendar to the Romans. It's easy to say "the sixth month" - when is it? Theirs, ours, or the one of the country we're in?

That in mind, it's obvious that the Catholic Church changed the mythology in order to win over the Roman army.
Not as such change, but more... twist. :D

It's actually on wikipedia. Just search druidism. I still can't post a link yet =P
Will do! :)

I believe it was quite a time after Rome converted. To unify Rome, they had to destroy all opposition, so therefore destroyed the pagans.
Hmm, I'm not sure they 'destroyed' them! More, harassed them, bullied them, annoyed them, encouraged them, bribed them, anything else - but the few who were converted by the sword, were not really converted within the spirit of Christianity itself (which is actually a lovely religion!!), but by people with evil in their hearts; there's been a discussion about this in the forum not long ago, actually!!

Will do, haha.
Awesome!

Oh, I'm not talking about the holiday itself. I meant that my family being strict Catholic might cause something awkward to occur. Heaven forbid that they get into a heated religious argument on Christmas.
Oh come on, not even a little one?? :D Every family must get into a heated argument on Christmas! :D If it's religion, all the more heated!! It's tradition! :beach: (Or is it just my family? :-D)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
It seems to me that you may be familiar with Eckhart Tolle, haha. But yes, I agree. I'm merely hoping to find something to help me awaken, to fully realize the ultimate Truth.

You are already "awakened", you just need something to help you remember that.:D Basically that is how it happened to me. I just came to a realization that ALL is "awakened". It is just our minds that prevent us from realizing that. ALL is ONE.

Last edited:

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You are already "awakened", you just need something to help you remember that.:D
If I'm already awakened, then I must still have some of the sleep dust in my eye, because I do tend to lose myself in the material world still, haha. I think the fact that I'm trying to find a label shows evidence of that.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
If I'm already awakened, then I must still have some of the sleep dust in my eye, because I do tend to lose myself in the material world still, haha. I think the fact that I'm trying to find a label shows evidence of that.

Yes, we all tend to be affected by that "sleep dust" for we all have that "mind" which distracts us. We cannot escape the material world for it is a part of this existence. Sometimes we just don't always perceive things the way they truly are. The mind can be deceiving.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
It probably was, but I don't think Constantine had much of a say - if any, in it. He just wanted a stable country, I guess. Religion is the backbone of a country (although at the moment it's spending money like crazy so you've got none!!! X_X), a uniform religion = easier to look after.
Yes, therein lies the problem. He forced people to convert as a political decision.

Oh yes, Mithras. :D However - The word virgin is a [mis]translation from the Hebrew word for, what is essentially, akin to the word maiden - a young, unmarried woman - however, since a young unmarried woman is generally going to be "without man"...! Quite simple how they got there, I guess.
Ah, I'm not familiar with any Hebrew, haha.

True. I think Jesus was born in about March or April, actually. The thing is, the Jews also used a different calendar to the Romans. It's easy to say "the sixth month" - when is it? Theirs, ours, or the one of the country we're in?
Well, even if we go by the current calendar, that would mean June. But if we go by the pagan new year (Samhain), that would be about April/May, yes.

Not as such change, but more... twist. :D
Still, they claim it to be their original idea, which irks me a bit.

Hmm, I'm not sure they 'destroyed' them! More, harassed them, bullied them, annoyed them, encouraged them, bribed them, anything else - but the few who were converted by the sword, were not really converted within the spirit of Christianity itself (which is actually a lovely religion!!), but by people with evil in their hearts; there's been a discussion about this in the forum not long ago, actually!!
Actually they attempted to destroy the druids for one and almost succeeded save those that escaped further west to Europe (later on they died out being taken over by Christianity). And any pagan literature they could find was destroyed.

And yes! I wholeheartedly agree with the conversion through force. When that happens, the original message of the religion gets distorted and becomes the sometimes hateful thing it can become nowadays.

Oh come on, not even a little one?? :D Every family must get into a heated argument on Christmas! :D If it's religion, all the more heated!! It's tradition! :beach: (Or is it just my family? :-D)
Haha, this will be the first time my extended family meets her, so I don't think it would be a good idea to get her shunned by my family already, lol

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Yes, we all tend to be affected by that "sleep dust" for we all have that "mind" which distracts us. We cannot escape the material world for it is a part of this existence. Sometimes we just don't always perceive things the way they truly are. The mind can be deceiving.
Thanks for the reminders :) Perhaps I just need to meditate more.:eek: I haven't done that in a while. It's hard for me to sit still and actually calm my mind and stop thought. Whenever I do manage to do it, I get this intense feeling of energy running throughout my body and it's overwhelming. I recommend not doing this during class, lol

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Thanks for the reminders :) Perhaps I just need to meditate more.:eek: I haven't done that in a while. It's hard for me to sit still and actually calm my mind and stop thought. Whenever I do manage to do it, I get this intense feeling of energy running throughout my body and it's overwhelming. I recommend not doing this during class, lol

I know exactly what you mean. I don't meditate enough myself. Basically my art is my "meditation". It helps me to forget the rest of the world and just become one with "animate" creative energy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yes, therein lies the problem. He forced people to convert as a political decision.
I can understand why he'd do it, but I'd say that it was political more than religious, though. :)

Ah, I'm not familiar with any Hebrew, haha.
I'm not that good; I have some family in Ashdod, Israel. Only, I don't know how I'm related to them.. :D

Well, even if we go by the current calendar, that would mean June. But if we go by the pagan new year (Samhain), that would be about April/May, yes.
I think it would have been the Hebrew calendar. However, there was no real concept of a Pagan new year until recently. I used to be one. :D

Still, they claim it to be their original idea, which irks me a bit.
True. They tend to brush over the fact they adapted it, but the majority of Christians know it now, but I suppose it doesn't change the spirit of modern Christmas. Even now, Christmas is less about Christ and more about spending, so I guess it's come halfway. I'd love to know what a Christian's take on baubles, tinsel and the tree are! ;-)

Actually they attempted to destroy the druids for one and almost succeeded save those that escaped further west to Europe (later on they died out being taken over by Christianity). And any pagan literature they could find was destroyed.
Hmmm. I know that during the Roman attack, the druids performed human sacrifice. I'm not aware of druids being any further east than say, France, however. It's quite ironic that Pagans were killing Pagans in the name of religion, lonnng before Christians and Muslims were on the scene. :D This does, however, tend to be white-washed by hardcore Pagans.

And yes! I wholeheartedly agree with the conversion through force. When that happens, the original message of the religion gets distorted and becomes the sometimes hateful thing it can become nowadays.
You're right. I suppose that taking over other festivals is a bad thing, too, but also a good thing.

Either way, Christianity hasn't had as bad a time as many would have you think. Usually things have been done under politics, using Christianity as a binding force to separate "us" from "them", but not really within Christianity. It's a shame.

What I find interesting is that, Christian fundamentalism has only begun in the last hundred or so years, in response to Darwinism, and now multiculturalism - I suppose it's just how things go - it's seeking shelter within religion from "them foreign things!", which makes one more 'pious' in one's religion.

Have you ever seen Episcopilans [sp??], aka Anglicans? That is the type of church I used to go to - they were fantastic and tended to be quite liberal and humanistic, also. :)

Haha, this will be the first time my extended family meets her, so I don't think it would be a good idea to get her shunned by my family already, lol
Lol, it might not be the wisest time then. What do your 'rents think of her? Do they like her?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I can understand why he'd do it, but I'd say that it was political more than religious, though. :)
That was my point :p That they were converted due to a political decision, not because they actually believed in it.

I think it would have been the Hebrew calendar. However, there was no real concept of a Pagan new year until recently. I used to be one. :D
Well wasn't Samhain a holiday since ancient times? It's celebrated as the day of harvest and of the sun god (that perpetually dies and is reborn each year o.0), I forget his name. And what would the 6th month be on the Hebrew calendar?

True. They tend to brush over the fact they adapted it, but the majority of Christians know it now, but I suppose it doesn't change the spirit of modern Christmas. Even now, Christmas is less about Christ and more about spending, so I guess it's come halfway. I'd love to know what a Christian's take on baubles, tinsel and the tree are! ;-)
Oh yeah, modern Christmas is, in reality, no longer about Christ, though the spirit of Christmas is just as desirable. It's just sad that people can only come together like that once a year :shrug:

Hmmm. I know that during the Roman attack, the druids performed human sacrifice. I'm not aware of druids being any further east than say, France, however. It's quite ironic that Pagans were killing Pagans in the name of religion, lonnng before Christians and Muslims were on the scene. :D This does, however, tend to be white-washed by hardcore Pagans.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I always thought it was conquering for power. From what I hear that even after an army took over another village/city, they'd ask the people what gods/goddesses they worship there and compare it to their own. When they find similarities, they say "oh, that's like our god/dess so and so." and they tack on the name of the conquered people's god to their own.

Either way, Christianity hasn't had as bad a time as many would have you think. Usually things have been done under politics, using Christianity as a binding force to separate "us" from "them", but not really within Christianity. It's a shame.
Yes, THAT is what I really hate. People not even understanding what Christ was trying to teach, which is the exact opposite of what they're doing. There's no "us" and "them," it's just "all."

Have you ever seen Episcopilans [sp??], aka Anglicans? That is the type of church I used to go to - they were fantastic and tended to be quite liberal and humanistic, also. :)
I've heard of them, but I'm not sure I've ever met one before. I could search for some.

Lol, it might not be the wisest time then. What do your 'rents think of her? Do they like her?
My parents like her :) Mostly because she's much more down to earth and not high maintenance like my ex was :p. I don't think they mind that she's pagan, and, though they seem to be gently trying to guide me back to Catholicism, I don't think they mind that I'm starting to have pagan/animist leanings. Thankfully, they love me regardless :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That was my point :p That they were converted due to a political decision, not because they actually believed in it.
LOL, it was my point, too. :-D

Well wasn't Samhain a holiday since ancient times? It's celebrated as the day of harvest and of the sun god (that perpetually dies and is reborn each year o.0),
Hmmm, I have a hard time finding anything on it which seems truthful. All I can find is that Samhain is a holiday only with the Gaels and the Celts, really. It's been taken over by Neo-Pagans, though. Dying-reborn sun gods are not within traditional Gaelic beliefs, and are often confined to mystery cults such as Mithras anda few of the Egyptian gods; afaik. According to wiki, though, there is the belief within Western Brittany that the god of winter sheds his antlers and goes to the Otherworld (Underworld) in Winter, but this does not necessarily equate the god of winter with dying. The concept of dying gods is not something I like the idea of, and partially a reason I haven't gone back into Paganism.

I forget his name. And what would the 6th month be on the Hebrew calendar?
Elul. Jesus would have probably been born in Iyar (April-May) or Sivan (May-Jine). I'm guessing April or May would have been closer to the time, though.

Oh yeah, modern Christmas is, in reality, no longer about Christ, though the spirit of Christmas is just as desirable. It's just sad that people can only come together like that once a year :shrug:
Yeah. Some families can't even manage that spirit once a year nowadays! It's a shame.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. I always thought it was conquering for power.
It was, but because druids were a secretive bunch, I guess Romans viewed them as a threat. They were also scholars, keepers of lore and knowledge, and they distrusted paper and distrusted cities - to Romans, you had to live in cities to be civilized, according to good old documentaries on the History Channel.

From what I hear that even after an army took over another village/city, they'd ask the people what gods/goddesses they worship there and compare it to their own. When they find similarities, they say "oh, that's like our god/dess so and so." and they tack on the name of the conquered people's god to their own.
That's kind of what Christians did, still. :-D "Brigit? Oh yeah, she was a saint, not a goddess! She's wonderful, we love her. Wouldn't you much rather worship the one she did?"

Yes, THAT is what I really hate. People not even understanding what Christ was trying to teach, which is the exact opposite of what they're doing. There's no "us" and "them," it's just "all."
I agree. It's a shame. As Gandhi said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - I have nothing against Jesus, and I regard him as an excellent spiritual sage. I have a harder time with Paul and some followers, though.

I've heard of them, but I'm not sure I've ever met one before. I could search for some.
You won't regret it. :)

My parents like her :) Mostly because she's much more down to earth and not high maintenance like my ex was :p. I don't think they mind that she's pagan,
That's good. :)
and, though they seem to be gently trying to guide me back to Catholicism, I don't think they mind that I'm starting to have pagan/animist leanings. Thankfully, they love me regardless :)
Hehheh - you could always be a Catholic-Pagan! There's not much difference, and you'd keep your family happy, too! PM me if you want, and I'll explain a concept I had a while ago which may just be perfect for you!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I have a question, Comicaze, When you say that you believe certain things, why do you believe them? On what do you form these beliefs?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
LOL, it was my point, too. :-D
Oh . . . well . . . :foot:

Hmmm, I have a hard time finding anything on it which seems truthful. All I can find is that Samhain is a holiday only with the Gaels and the Celts, really. It's been taken over by Neo-Pagans, though. Dying-reborn sun gods are not within traditional Gaelic beliefs, and are often confined to mystery cults such as Mithras anda few of the Egyptian gods; afaik. According to wiki, though, there is the belief within Western Brittany that the god of winter sheds his antlers and goes to the Otherworld (Underworld) in Winter, but this does not necessarily equate the god of winter with dying. The concept of dying gods is not something I like the idea of, and partially a reason I haven't gone back into Paganism.
Hmm, looking at my resources, I can't seem to find anything about the god's rebirth anymore. I think I may have mixed up my information with another holiday, lol

It was, but because druids were a secretive bunch, I guess Romans viewed them as a threat. They were also scholars, keepers of lore and knowledge, and they distrusted paper and distrusted cities - to Romans, you had to live in cities to be civilized, according to good old documentaries on the History Channel.
It's a shame, because now all that lore and knowledge is lost =/

I agree. It's a shame. As Gandhi said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - I have nothing against Jesus, and I regard him as an excellent spiritual sage. I have a harder time with Paul and some followers, though.
That's my favorite quote by Gandhi :)

Hehheh - you could always be a Catholic-Pagan! There's not much difference, and you'd keep your family happy, too! PM me if you want, and I'll explain a concept I had a while ago which may just be perfect for you!
Eh, to be a Catholic-Pagan, I'd then have to start believing in personification of the divine, which I have a hard time with. And Catholicism in general doesn't have much gray area. It seems to be all or nothing, which I don't like.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It depends on what you're asking about. Which beliefs?
I was thinking of:
I agree with much of neo-paganism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, such as the divine, humanly unexplainable energy of life being in all things living and inanimate, and therefore oneness with nature. However, I can't bring myself to fully believe in personifications of that underlying energy, like gods or goddesses, but I agree wholly with what each of them represent...
I believe:
-We are one with nature, not separate, and are owned by the Earth, not the other way around.
-The concept of "God" is within us all, in plants, animals, even rocks and the air.
-Souls are reincarnated in a near endless cycle until one reaches full enlightenment
-On that note, I believe that those who reach that full enlightenment become guides for all others.
-The acquisition of a higher consciousness will lead to peace.
-Everything in the world must be in balance. Evil is what happens when there is an imbalance.
-All religions are different takes on the same thing, so we must not deny the POV of others (though we can ignore those who deny ours)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
-We are one with nature, not separate, and are owned by the Earth, not the other way around.

It makes sense. Though Western European values brought about the concept of "owning the land," in all fairness, we are at the mercy of the Earth. It gives us food, water, air (though deforesting is getting rid of that day by day), and even the oil which we seem to so desperately depend on (and the process that creates oil takes thousands of years and we're going to use it up faster than the Earth can make it). Anything that happens in nature affects us. Therefore, we are one with nature (though human beings seem to have forgotten that).

-The concept of "God" is within us all, in plants, animals, even rocks and the air.

The concept of "God" is what connects us, aside from physical aspects, to the world around us. And since we are one with nature, that concept of "God" is in everything. And I say "concept" to refer to anyone's belief in a higher/underlying power.

-Souls are reincarnated in a near endless cycle until one reaches full enlightenment

There are practices of past-life regressions through hypnotism, meditation, and such. Also, there is one story I saw on the Discovery Channel a few years back. There was a child in India (or the Middle East, I forget where) who was born at the exact same instant a man was shot in the head, and the child was born with a birthmark with the same shape and in the same location as the man's bullet wound. The child also inexplicably has that man's memories, as confirmed by the man's mother who went to visit the boy.

-On that note, I believe that those who reach that full enlightenment become guides for all others.

I think that would be why some people who have near death experiences only see SOME of their dead relatives. Those are the ones that have reached that full enlightenment and don't need go back and learn.

-The acquisition of a higher consciousness will lead to peace.

If people just understand that every other human being is the same and that every religion (or scientific outlook) is the same thing: an attempt to explain the world and the life within it, there would be no need to point fingers, nobody to blame for anything. People would realize that nobody is better than anybody else and, therefore, nobody has any right to judge.

-Everything in the world must be in balance. Evil is what happens when there is an imbalance.

Hmm, in hindsight I phrased that incorrectly. I meant that bad things (not necessarily 'evil') happen when there is an imbalance. For example, China is extremely overpopulated, so they've been trying to limit people to only one child. However, because Chinese culture favors boys over girls, they tend to kill their girls so as to have only a boy child. Naturally, this causes problems later on, as the whole of China will become a sausage-fest.

-All religions are different takes on the same thing, so we must not deny the POV of others (though we can ignore those who deny ours)

Umm . . . because it's true? Every culture tries to come up with ways to explain that which cannot be fully understood by the human mind. Just as science by itself can't explain everything, a single religion by itself can't explain everything either. Just like in the academic world, "You need multiple sources."

Last edited: