• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for a religion

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Hi. I'm new to this forum, so I'd just like to introduce myself. I know I should go to the intro forum, but I think this is relevant to my topic as well.

I was raised Catholic, but never truly believed in everything they were about. I was devout at one point, but then I started to have questions that didn't seem to have an actual answer that made sense without a blind faith. So I left. My parents aren't too excited about that :p

So I've been trying to find something that I can believe in. I've been researching a few and taking a world religions class. I agree with much of neo-paganism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, such as the divine, humanly unexplainable energy of life being in all things living and inanimate, and therefore oneness with nature. However, I can't bring myself to fully believe in personifications of that underlying energy, like gods or goddesses, but I agree wholly with what each of them represent.

So I feel as if I'm in a transitional stage of development. I'm just hoping that someone here can at least give me some ideas or direction. I'd really appreciate any (constructive) input. :help:

Thanks.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi and welcome, I'm also searching for a religion!
Welcome fellow seeker.

What kind of things do you believe?
Have you taken the "Belief-o-Matic" test? :)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Hi and welcome, I'm also searching for a religion!
Welcome fellow seeker.

What kind of things do you believe?
Have you taken the "Belief-o-Matic" test? :)

Actually yes, I have. There were 2 that I was 100% in: Unitarian Universalist (I think that was what it was called) and Neo-Pagan. Also high on the list were Buddhism and Hinduism.

Hmm, well after reading Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, I've kind of been pushed a bit further in my pursuit, but it's still difficult to wrap my head around.

I believe:
-We are one with nature, not separate, and are owned by the Earth, not the other way around.
-The concept of "God" is within us all, in plants, animals, even rocks and the air.
-Souls are reincarnated in a near endless cycle until one reaches full enlightenment
-On that note, I believe that those who reach that full enlightenment become guides for all others.
-The acquisition of a higher consciousness will lead to peace.
-Everything in the world must be in balance. Evil is what happens when there is an imbalance.
-All religions are different takes on the same thing, so we must not deny the POV of others (though we can ignore those who deny ours)

and other things, but I can't bring them to mind right now.

And thanks for the warm welcome :)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You might be a Panentheist. This does not however give you a group to go to church with.

Oh, I'm fine without going to a church. I guess I'm just looking for those answers we're all trying to reach. I'll look into this Panentheist thing though :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Actually yes, I have. There were 2 that I was 100% in: Unitarian Universalist (I think that was what it was called) and Neo-Pagan. Also high on the list were Buddhism and Hinduism.
Awesome.
UU and Neo-Pagan are really good faiths, and I have a lot of respect for Hinduism and Buddhism.

Hmm, well after reading Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, I've kind of been pushed a bit further in my pursuit, but it's still difficult to wrap my head around.

I believe:
-We are one with nature, not separate, and are owned by the Earth, not the other way around.
-The concept of "God" is within us all, in plants, animals, even rocks and the air.
-Souls are reincarnated in a near endless cycle until one reaches full enlightenment
-On that note, I believe that those who reach that full enlightenment become guides for all others.
-The acquisition of a higher consciousness will lead to peace.
-Everything in the world must be in balance. Evil is what happens when there is an imbalance.
-All religions are different takes on the same thing, so we must not deny the POV of others (though we can ignore those who deny ours)

and other things, but I can't bring them to mind right now.
You sound like a Hindu! :)
I'd really suggest looking into that. It's a beautiful faith. Search into the following:
Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism.

You seem to have a little bit of animism in you, too, which maybe why Neo-Paganism is good for you - but Neo-Pagans can be a stroppy bunch! :cover:

And thanks for the warm welcome :)
You're welcome! :)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Have you read the Tao Te Ching? If not then I'd recommend that you have a look at it. :)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You sound like a Hindu! :)
I'd really suggest looking into that. It's a beautiful faith. Search into the following:
Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism.

You seem to have a little bit of animism in you, too, which maybe why Neo-Paganism is good for you - but Neo-Pagans can be a stroppy bunch! :cover:
Ah, I never thought of Sikhism. I will look into those. But I did come up with a couple other things I do believe in.

-It is possible to harness that divine energy to perform magic, though the more advanced magic was lost in the Crusades and the Roman oppression of pagans. I've always believed real magic was possible.
-But I also find it difficult to believe in personifications of the energy, gods and goddesses, and that I can talk or pray to them. I understand that Hinduism has over 330 million gods.

And what do you mean by stroppy?

On a side-note, my girlfriend is Wiccan, so I'm finding neo-paganism more attractive.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ah, I never thought of Sikhism. I will look into those. But I did come up with a couple other things I do believe in.
Sikhism is awesome. :) It's probably the one religion I agree with 100% in theology.

-It is possible to harness that divine energy to perform magic, though the more advanced magic was lost in the Crusades and the Roman oppression of pagans. I've always believed real magic was possible.
Hmm, why the Crusades? I find the Crusades to be a dodgy, mis-understood time. As to Roman oppression of Pagans - I suppose it's ironic, considering Christianity was oppressed by the Pagans to begin with! :D

-But I also find it difficult to believe in personifications of the energy, gods and goddesses, and that I can talk or pray to them. I understand that Hinduism has over 330 million gods.
Hinduism has what are understood as gods, but are really "attributes" of the One God, the indescribable "Brahman" (not Brahma) - Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Ganesha, Kali, etc, are all attributes. A Hindu would be better at describing them.

And what do you mean by stroppy?
Easy to offend, not very forgiving, often full of anger and bitterness. I find often things such as "Xtians" or "Xians" used, and find it offensive and showing a lack of respect for said religion. I should know, I was one of them! I had to leave a forum before when I started my soul-searching, because they were making my time there really unfun, being impolite and nit-picking at everything I saying to be offended in it - simply because I said that child-sacrifice is not Christian, I was called plenty of the cuss words under the sun that you would know! Things like that.

In fact, I got harassed because I didn't link two quotes together correctly, and even though I explained and corrected it, I still was harassed by that same person for aaages - others soon joined in - also, some of my ex-friends are Pagans, and when I became Christian (no longer Christian tho), they became pains in the *** to me -they were horrible! They tried to make me apologize for things like, witch-burnings, things I had no control over - the girlfriend of a friend of mine threatened him to stop going to church or lose all access to his baby (they live together and she was going to kick him out over it), etc. I could go on, but don't want to bore you or go off-topic!

I've since become a bit wary of them, naturally. True Pagans, I don't mind at all, but it's waaay too full of "I'm a Pagan cuz it's COOL!" for me.

On a side-note, my girlfriend is Wiccan, so I'm finding neo-paganism more attractive.
Hmmm, cool! What path of Wicca? :)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Perhaps what you seek is not a religion or belief, but rather an understanding. That which you seek is already within you and all around you. I don't worship any Gods, I worship existence. If such a God actually exists, then it is part of the ALL in ALL and that existence in which case I already worship it. In worshiping existence itself, I can not possibly worship something that is false or does not exist. In that which truly exists, there is truth. I can't justify worshiping or believing in any God, deity, or thing which I don't actually know to be true or to exist. To me a belief is just a belief. Understanding is something different. Evil and lies are man-made manipulations of energy. All things that exist have vibrational energy and are "animate". Even a scientist will tell you this. Therefore you could say that all things have "spirit". We are all part of it. Our earliest ancestors who lived in caves even understood this. They understood this connection with nature, spirit, and all things that existed. Perhaps they did not "scientifically" understand everything that was going on around them, but they had their own way of understanding it. In a way they were right about it as well. This ancient form of understanding is called Animism. Don't know what they would have called it back then, perhaps it was just that, another word for.....Understanding.

Last edited:

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Hmm, why the Crusades? I find the Crusades to be a dodgy, mis-understood time. As to Roman oppression of Pagans - I suppose it's ironic, considering Christianity was oppressed by the Pagans to begin with! :D
Well see, every group is going to have their discrepancies. But I get pretty offended myself when people tell me "Your way is wrong! You must follow our way to be saved!" Now I'm not saying all Christians do this, but those who do are the ones who get the most attention. So naturally, the groups developed animosity towards each other. However, I don't recall anything saying that the pagans believed the Christians to be evil, just jerks. But the Christians took it a step further and tried to completely eradicate the pagans including any and all literature pertaining to their beliefs. And since it was mostly an oral tradition, there was little literature to begin with. So that's why I blame the Crusades.
Hinduism has what are understood as gods, but are really "attributes" of the One God, the indescribable "Brahman" (not Brahma) - Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Ganesha, Kali, etc, are all attributes. A Hindu would be better at describing them.
Oh yes, we were covering Hinduism in the class I'm taking. I understand what you mean by 'attributes' as I believe any and all gods in any pantheon are the exact same thing.
Easy to offend, not very forgiving, often full of anger and bitterness. I find often things such as "Xtians" or "Xians" used, and find it offensive and showing a lack of respect for said religion. I should know, I was one of them!

I've since become a bit wary of them, naturally. True Pagans, I don't mind at all, but it's waaay too full of "I'm a Pagan cuz it's COOL!" for me.
Ah, I understand that. Those aren't the true pagans, no. My girlfriend has a bit of a short temper, but she keeps things objective and truthful and points no fingers. She only gets offended with the people who say "Your beliefs are wrong."
Hmmm, cool! What path of Wicca? :)

She follows the Odyssean tradition. She's from Canada and is part of the WCC, Wiccan Church of Canada.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Perhaps what you seek is not a religion or belief, but rather an understanding. That which you seek is already within you and all around you. I don't worship any Gods, I worship existence. If such a God actually exists, then it is part of the ALL in ALL and that existence in which case I already worship it. In worshiping existence itself, I can not possibly worship something that is false or does not exist. In that which truly exists, there is truth. I can't justify worshiping or believing in any God, deity, or thing which I don't actually know to be true or to exist. To me a belief is just a belief. Understanding is something different. Evil and lies are man-made manipulations of energy. All things that exist have vibrational energy and are "animate". Even a scientist will tell you this. Therefore you could say that all things have "spirit". We are all part of it. Our earliest ancestors who lived in caves even understood this. They understood this connection with nature, spirit, and all things that existed. Perhaps they did not "scientifically" understand everything that was going on around them, but they had their own way of understanding it. In a way they were right about it as well. This ancient form of understanding is called Animism. Don't know what they would have called it back then, perhaps it was just that, another word for.....Understanding.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said, haha. I've actually been looking into both Shamanism and Druidism (minus the human and animal sacrifice, of course). I'm in the midst of reading the history of Druids right now. I suppose I'm just looking for pathways to reach that understanding. Something to help me open my eyes a bit wider. Something that can help me further get in touch with nature and all its glory.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said, haha. I've actually been looking into both Shamanism and Druidism (minus the human and animal sacrifice, of course). I'm in the midst of reading the history of Druids right now. I suppose I'm just looking for pathways to reach that understanding. Something to help me open my eyes a bit wider. Something that can help me further get in touch with nature and all its glory.

Glad I could be of some help. Good luck on your journey within.:D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well see, every group is going to have their discrepancies. But I get pretty offended myself when people tell me "Your way is wrong! You must follow our way to be saved!"
As do I. :) I just smile at them and say, "Maybe one day, but not right now"

Now I'm not saying all Christians do this, but those who do are the ones who get the most attention. So naturally, the groups developed animosity towards each other. However, I don't recall anything saying that the pagans believed the Christians to be evil, just jerks.
You should read some ancient memos and stuff - this was the case once. I can't remember the article, but it says something like, "These goddless Galileans feed not only their poor, but also ours". Pre-Christian Pagan religions often competed with Christianity - I think it's Heron (I forget the name) was an inventor and often built many contraptions to make the temples more magic-like, because they were losing many people to Christianity, and thus, their income.

But the Christians took it a step further and tried to completely eradicate the pagans including any and all literature pertaining to their beliefs.
I sincerely doubt it's true, though. For example, look at the days of the week.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Moon dad, Tiw's day (Tyr), Odin's day, Thor's day, Frigg's day, Saturn's day, Sun's day.

I think this would have been changed by the Christians, too, if it were true - in fact, Christianization was a gradual process, and only became violent towards the later stages when the majority of them were already Christian. I'm very wary of the Burning Times and oppression from Christianity, though I know there was oppression, I don't think it was to the scale that many Pagans make it out.

And since it was mostly an oral tradition, there was little literature to begin with.
Within the Druid circles, writing was distrusted and hated - but it's worth note that the Romans actually tried to kill off the druids (or did they? I forget!)

So that's why I blame the Crusades.
But.. the Crusades were Muslims vs Christians over what is now Spain and Portugal, amongst other places, not against Pagans. This was within a time when the majority of Europe was Christian, and many of them were marching off to Jerusalem to 'liberate' it from Muslim occupation. The majority of killing was by and against the Abrahamic faiths, i.e., Christian killing Jew and Muslim killing Christian and Jew.

Oh yes, we were covering Hinduism in the class I'm taking. I understand what you mean by 'attributes' as I believe any and all gods in any pantheon are the exact same thing. Ah, I understand that.
Yeah, I find it beautiful myself! :)
Those aren't the true pagans, no.
But they would definitely say they were true Pagans though. :-/
Naturally, I don't like being harassed, and when so many have called themselves Pagans and harassed me for my beliefs, I suppose it's the same as why some Pagans distrust Christians. However, one of my good friends is a Pagan, and the Pagans who are nice to me, I have no problem with. :)

My girlfriend has a bit of a short temper, but she keeps things objective and truthful and points no fingers. She only gets offended with the people who say "Your beliefs are wrong."
I understand that, but don't we all. Since I live in a place in Europe, we don't have such issues - they are generally liberal Christians here, and even the suberfundamentalistpreachinguptown Christians are nice to me - I've never had a nasty Christian yet! Maybe I'm lucky, but who knows.

She follows the Odyssean tradition. She's from Canada and is part of the WCC, Wiccan Church of Canada.
Oo, that's awesome! Is she looking forward to Yule?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
You should read some ancient memos and stuff - this was the case once. I can't remember the article, but it says something like, "These goddless Galileans feed not only their poor, but also ours". Pre-Christian Pagan religions often competed with Christianity - I think it's Heron (I forget the name) was an inventor and often built many contraptions to make the temples more magic-like, because they were losing many people to Christianity, and thus, their income.
Ah, yeah, I remember that. That was one way Christianity won over some pagans, I know that. I thought it was Herod, or maybe I'm thinking of another mythology, lol. I get the feeling it's Greekhaha :p[/quote]

I sincerely doubt it's true, though. For example, look at the days of the week.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Moon dad, Tiw's day (Tyr), Odin's day, Thor's day, Frigg's day, Saturn's day, Sun's day.
Good point.

I think this would have been changed by the Christians, too, if it were true - in fact, Christianization was a gradual process, and only became violent towards the later stages when the majority of them were already Christian. I'm very wary of the Burning Times and oppression from Christianity, though I know there was oppression, I don't think it was to the scale that many Pagans make it out.
From what I hear, it wasn't all that gradual. Yes, the numbers of Christians in Rome were rising, but they were still the minority at the time. But the leader, Constantine, made a political decision to make the official religion of Rome into Catholicism. He was actually pressured by his mother to do so. I could go on about how the ancient Catholics changed around beliefs and myths in order to better accomodate the pagans, such as the Saints being similar to the lesser gods, comparison of Ostara and Easter.

Within the Druid circles, writing was distrusted and hated - but it's worth note that the Romans actually tried to kill off the druids (or did they? I forget!)
Actually they did try, and almost completely accomplished it in that time. Caesar has journals recounting the army's encounters with the druids, including witnessing spellcasting.

But.. the Crusades were Muslims vs Christians over what is now Spain and Portugal, amongst other places, not against Pagans. This was within a time when the majority of Europe was Christian, and many of them were marching off to Jerusalem to 'liberate' it from Muslim occupation. The majority of killing was by and against the Abrahamic faiths, i.e., Christian killing Jew and Muslim killing Christian and Jew.
Ah, I'm mistaking the timeline, haha. I don't know what to call it, but I meant the Roman army's attempt to crush paganism

But they would definitely say they were true Pagans though. :-/
Of course they would. Anyone who strongly places their identity within a religion believes THEY are the true followers. It can be quite annoying, really.

I understand that, but don't we all. Since I live in a place in Europe, we don't have such issues - they are generally liberal Christians here, and even the suberfundamentalistpreachinguptown Christians are nice to me - I've never had a nasty Christian yet! Maybe I'm lucky, but who knows.
I should show you a video of some of the Christian Fundamentalist Fanatics that preach at UC Irvine (my school) and the ridiculous things they say. It's actually quite entertaining to listen to them talk. Unfortunately I haven't posted enough to allow posting of URLs =P

Oo, that's awesome! Is she looking forward to Yule?
Yes, she is actually. Things may be a bit awkward though, since she's coming with my family to Christmas and most of my family is Catholic, lol.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ah, yeah, I remember that. That was one way Christianity won over some pagans, I know that. I thought it was Herod, or maybe I'm thinking of another mythology, lol. I get the feeling it's Greekhaha :p
Herod was the creator the Second Temple. :D He was a paranoid man, and also quite a hated one!

Good point.
:)

From what I hear, it wasn't all that gradual. Yes, the numbers of Christians in Rome were rising, but they were still the minority at the time. But the leader, Constantine, made a political decision to make the official religion of Rome into Catholicism.
Nevertheless, it was about three hundred years. Quite a time, really. :)
He was actually pressured by his mother to do so.
Oo, really? I didn't know this. Where did you learn it?
I could go on about how the ancient Catholics changed around beliefs and myths in order to better accomodate the pagans, such as the Saints being similar to the lesser gods, comparison of Ostara and Easter.
Yeah, I know of that. I find it kind of sweet - bending, rather than breaking! These things do not really bother me as much, though.

Actually they did try, and almost completely accomplished it in that time. Caesar has journals recounting the army's encounters with the druids, including witnessing spellcasting.
Oo. Can you offer some things to read on it? I'm fascinated by such things!

Ah, I'm mistaking the timeline, haha. I don't know what to call it, but I meant the Roman army's attempt to crush paganism
Hmmm, I'm not really aware of this happening - do you mean, within Rome itself? I think the reason for this could have possibly been that Christianity, with its uniformity, was ideal for the Roman Empire, as there was one God, and there were going to be less squabbles than many gods!

Of course they would. Anyone who strongly places their identity within a religion believes THEY are the true followers. It can be quite annoying, really.
Yeah, totally! PM me and we can discuss this if you like!

I should show you a video of some of the Christian Fundamentalist Fanatics that preach at UC Irvine (my school) and the ridiculous things they say. It's actually quite entertaining to listen to them talk. Unfortunately I haven't posted enough to allow posting of URLs =P
Hehheh :D Awesome!

Yes, she is actually. Things may be a bit awkward though, since she's coming with my family to Christmas and most of my family is Catholic, lol.
Lol, but things wouldn't be that different! After all, Catholics took over Pagan festivals, as you said. ;)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Nevertheless, it was about three hundred years. Quite a time, really. :)
Ah, I wasn't aware of the actual span of time. Though do you mean in the 4th century? I can't quite recall the actual year. Though I believe it was relatively soon after the Canon.

Oo, really? I didn't know this. Where did you learn it?
My girlfriend is more knowledgeable about that, as she is the one who told me. I have yet to verify it for myself, but I have no reason to doubt her.

Yeah, I know of that. I find it kind of sweet - bending, rather than breaking! These things do not really bother me as much, though.
Well, there are other things that bother me. Such as how they swayed the Roman army. The Roman army worshiped a god that was born on the winter solstice of virgin birth (sound familiar?). And coincidentally, the Catholic Church claimed Jesus was born on that day. However, if one recalls why Mary and Joseph returned to Bethlehem, it was because of the Roman census, where they measure the population of each town/village/city/what have you. The key thing is, the Roman Census always took place in spring, and supposedly, Mary was already about to give birth at the time they arrived in Bethlehem. Now unless Mary was pregnant for an extra 9 or so months, Jesus couldn't have really been born on the winter solstice, but in spring. That in mind, it's obvious that the Catholic Church changed the mythology in order to win over the Roman army.

Oo. Can you offer some things to read on it? I'm fascinated by such things!
It's actually on wikipedia. Just search druidism. I still can't post a link yet =P

Hmmm, I'm not really aware of this happening - do you mean, within Rome itself? I think the reason for this could have possibly been that Christianity, with its uniformity, was ideal for the Roman Empire, as there was one God, and there were going to be less squabbles than many gods!
I believe it was quite a time after Rome converted. To unify Rome, they had to destroy all opposition, so therefore destroyed the pagans.

Yeah, totally! PM me and we can discuss this if you like!
Will do, haha.

Lol, but things wouldn't be that different! After all, Catholics took over Pagan festivals, as you said. ;)
Oh, I'm not talking about the holiday itself. I meant that my family being strict Catholic might cause something awkward to occur. Heaven forbid that they get into a heated religious argument on Christmas.