• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for a religion

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Try the O-Matic in my signature.
Actually I have :) It's a bit far back for me to remember completely, but I was 100% on BOTH UU and Neo-Pagan, and high up on the list were Hinduism and Buddhism. But I researched them and as usual, I don't agree with everything, haha.

EDIT: I took it again and things changed :p

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Hi. I'm new to this forum, so I'd just like to introduce myself. I know I should go to the intro forum, but I think this is relevant to my topic as well.

I was raised Catholic, but never truly believed in everything they were about. I was devout at one point, but then I started to have questions that didn't seem to have an actual answer that made sense without a blind faith. So I left. My parents aren't too excited about that :p

So I've been trying to find something that I can believe in. I've been researching a few and taking a world religions class. I agree with much of neo-paganism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, such as the divine, humanly unexplainable energy of life being in all things living and inanimate, and therefore oneness with nature. However, I can't bring myself to fully believe in personifications of that underlying energy, like gods or goddesses, but I agree wholly with what each of them represent.

So I feel as if I'm in a transitional stage of development. I'm just hoping that someone here can at least give me some ideas or direction. I'd really appreciate any (constructive) input. :help:

Thanks.
Perhaps you could look into this new one I'm starting
"Pick-'n'-mixism"

Or it's closely related

"Make-it-up-as-you-go-along-ism"

(haven't you really been making it all up as you've been going along anyway? ;))

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Perhaps you could look into this new one I'm starting
"Pick-'n'-mixism"

Or it's closely related

"Make-it-up-as-you-go-along-ism"

(haven't you really been making it all up as you've been going along anyway? ;))
Yeah, but I guess I'm really trying to figure out how to describe my beliefs. Simplify it for the sake of conversation, 'cause when I talk about religion with people around here, they always ask "exactly what religion are you?" And I have no simple way to answer them, haha.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Eh, to be a Catholic-Pagan, I'd then have to start believing in personification of the divine, which I have a hard time with. And Catholicism in general doesn't have much gray area. It seems to be all or nothing, which I don't like.

Unless you're a non-Trinitarian Catholic Pagan? :-D

Although everything else you've said, I did agree with you. :) I'm sure there's something out there; don't give up hope looking though!

I, too, don't have anything to simply explain what I am with one word, or something; can I ask what your results were this time on the belief-o-matic test? :)

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Unless you're a non-Trinitarian Catholic Pagan? :-D

Although everything else you've said, I did agree with you. :) I'm sure there's something out there; don't give up hope looking though!

I, too, don't have anything to simply explain what I am with one word, or something; can I ask what your results were this time on the belief-o-matic test? :)
1. Neo-Pagan (100%) 2. New Age (94%) 3. Mahayana Buddhism (89%) 4. Unitarian Universalism (86%) 5. Hinduism (82%) 6. New Thought (77%) 7. Scientology (75%) 8. Liberal Quakers (73%) 9. Jainism (69%) 10. Theravada Buddhism (68%)
Top 5 are still pretty much the same, hehe.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hmmmmm, New Age Neo-Pagan non-Trinitarian Catholic-Pagan Buddhist sounds like a good mix for you :D
Even your folks would be happy with it...I think? :D

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
I understand what you are feeling. I was once like you.
I was a skeptic, and couldn't believe anything without proof. That is why I chose to dive into the philosophy of Buddhism.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I understand what you are feeling. I was once like you.
I was a skeptic, and couldn't believe anything without proof. That is why I chose to dive into the philosophy of Buddhism.
Yes, Buddhism intrigues me. I want to be able to achieve that stillness that Buddha professed, but I can never seem to sit still, haha.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Eh, not really. I'll never get completely bored, haha. Gotta have something to learn about every day.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Well, you are agnostic for now, is that right? once the knowledge comes then it is there. though some say it is best to be atheist(against religion) agnostic.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I also admire it as well. For someone so young, Comicaze247 has much strength and wisdom. But so do you Odion. I greatly admire both of you.:)
Thank you :) I think it tends to come with living inside one's head for most of one's life, haha. I hope you don't mind that I'm kind of looking up to you as someone more traveled along the path.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You say you are "looking for a Religion"
You do not find faith on a shopping trip.
If you believe that there is a supreme being or the equivalent, you are demonstrating "some element of Faith"

Just about all faiths have a master that expounded or taught a new understanding and ethos.

What comes down to us is a distillation of those ideas an concepts in the form of a religion.

Some faiths progressed though many masters or prophets who each put their own mark on the religion.

Christianity is one such, that built on the formalised faith of the ancient prophets but was crystallized by the followers of their master Jesus.

If you do not believe what a master taught, and have faith that what he said is true, You are unlikely to find God through him.

I do not find it necessary to believe everything The Church or the ancients said, to be true.
What I do believe is that what Jesus taught was true, and that he gave us a clear understanding on how to live our lives.

I this a "religion" ? Of course not. All religions carry far more baggage than that....
But it is a path to follow.