• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

scientology

The Black Whirlwind

what the heck is scientology? I'm hearing a lot about it because of T. Cruise, but i have no idea what it is. Are there any scientologists on this site, or at least anyone who knows about it? I would really like to know about it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
From Scientology in Wikipedia

"Scientology is a system of beliefs, teachings and rituals, originally established as a secular philosophy in 1952 by science-fiction author L. Ron Hubbard, then recharacterized by him in 1953 as an "applied religious philosophy.""

"Scientology is officially represented by the controversial Church of Scientology. The Church presents itself as a non-profit religious organization dedicated to encouraging development of the human spirit. Providing counseling and rehabilitation programs, the Church offers itself as an alternative to psychiatry, which Scientologists believe to be a barbaric and corrupt profession. Church spokespeople attest that Hubbard's teaching (called "technology" or "tech") has freed them from drug and alcohol addictions, depression, learning disabilities, mental disorders and other problems. Scientology, however, has been the object of many allegations that sharply contradict the Church's self-description. Critics—including officials of several governments—have characterized the Church of Scientology as an unscrupulous commercial organization; it has often been described as a cult that harasses its critics and exploits its members. Many of the Church's most controversial actions are, critics argue, a direct reflection of Hubbard's Scientology teachings."

"The central beliefs of Scientology are that:

• a person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body, accompanied by a lesser "genetic entity";
  • that the thetan has lived through many past lives, stored memories of which can cause problems in the present day;
  • and that a person is basically good, but is "aberrated" by the memories of past traumas.
The Church states that the goal of Scientology is a world without war, criminals, and insanity, where good decent people have the freedom to reach their goals."

"Most famously, all of those who reach OT level III will learn about Xenu, the galactic tyrant who stacked hundreds of billions of his frozen victims around Earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago before blowing them up with hydrogen bombs and brainwashing them with a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for 36 days. The traumatised thetans subsequently clustered around human bodies, in effect acting as invisible spiritual parasites that can only be removed using advanced Scientology techniques. Reportedly, the cost of reaching OT III approaches $360,000.

Scientologists argue that mentions of Xenu by non-Scientologists are "misleading characterizations made of these writings, with altered pieces of it taken out of context putting them up to ridicule." Critics of Scientology reject this, pointing out that Xenu is part of a much wider Scientology belief in alien past lives, some of which has been public knowledge for decades. For instance, the 1958 book Have You Lived Before This Life documents past lives as described by individual Scientologists during auditing sessions. These included incidents such as being "deceived into a love affair with a robot decked out as a beautiful red-haired girl", being run over by a Martian bishop driving a steamroller, being transformed into an intergalactic walrus which perished after falling out of a flying saucer and being "a very happy being who strayed to the planet Nostra 23,064,000,000 years ago"."

Pah

Uber all member
A reminder

This section of Religious Forums discussion is reserved for our members who hold the views of the specific faith. Questions may be asked by others but in no case are opinions adverse to the faith permitted

I have edited some posts to reflect this policy.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
question

what would scientologists do with people who are insane or criminal to achieve their world where people have the freedom to reach their goals?

Scientology sounds all warm and fuzzy, but from what I hear, you end up having to pay huge amounts to join which says to me that it's corrupt.