• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology links

J

jkdenm

how does beliefnet.com stack up against religiousforums.com?
how do you get into the forum/discussion part of it?

It's under "Home > Community > Discussions > Religious Debates Forum > Scientology Debate". Don't know if it costs to be a member, but anyone can read the postings.

On Scientology alone, it seems to have 310 threads now. ...seems to be more of
a debate with both sides responding and trying to get the last word.

For example, there's a thread called "Will public hatred of Scientology lead to violence?" Interestingly, on this thread you see at least one posting about violence against anti-Scientology people - threats are nothing new but I was not aware of the extent of any violence.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
can you describe this court case? i think i never came across it.
I have been able to find this here:
[FONT=Courier New,Verdana,Ariel] Here are some paragraphs from the judgement passed in France in February, 1979, sentencing Hubbard to 4 years in jail for fraud. The following is a *VERY* rough translation from the original French into English. The original text is available via this link. Basically, the court discovered that Scientology is a business and not a religion; that the business was micro-managed by Hubbard; that the business was fraudulently providing medical services and doing so without a license; that the business was using a worthless device called an "e-meter" in its medical "services;" and that 10 per centum of the "take" was skimmed off to Hubbard in the fraud. At the time Hubbard was convicted, he was hiding from United States law enforcement agencies. In the last 1990s the Scientology organization would again be under investigation for fraud in France. This is also the case in Spain.[/FONT]

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

Certian material deemed offensive has been removed/altered.

thanks for the summary of proceedings in that French court.
In England, is it not the case that scntlgy is not viewed as a religion because it
is not seen for the public good. Can anyone confirm this?

Booko

Deviled Hen
In the past, i got slammed for posting only links that were critical of Scientology.

You weren't "slammed," exit.

People asked you what your intent was in posting only links that were critical of Scientology.

And that's because this forum and its users are not here to slam other religions, but to explore them and understand them.

Your (formerly) curious spelling of Scientology tips your hand as to your intent, you know.

In the UK it is classed as a religion, and they have various Churches dotted around the UK, and a Auditor training place too. The "Church" of Scientology is very misleading to the public, and as a former indtroductory member I can vouch for this.

thinking that it is relevant to make known the findings of the Charity Commission of the United Kingdon in 1999...

(here's two small excerpts from http://www.antisectes.net/charityfull.htm where the report has been highlighted from the original report which can be found at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/cosfulldoc.pdf)...

(a) Scientology is not a religion for the purposes of English charity law....

The Commissioners concluded that it could not be said that CoS had demonstrated
that it was established for the public benefit so as to satisfy the legal test of public
benefit of a charitable purpose for the advancement of religion or for the moral or
spiritual welfare or improvement of the community.

adthelad

You weren't "slammed," exit.

People asked you what your intent was in posting only links that were critical of Scientology.

And that's because this forum and its users are not here to slam other religions, but to explore them and understand them.

Your (formerly) curious spelling of Scientology tips your hand as to your intent, you know.

Sounds fair to me. I'm always happy to answer people's questions and tell them the truth about Scientology as officially stated and experienced by me. I do get tired when a few people continually post links to sites which have no positive intent (unless you call attacking religions positive) and aren't interested in hearing anything else.

actually, Rick Ross is an expert on cults. The site's been there for some years and gives information about destructive cults, controversial groups and movements. It maintains a database of "news stories, research papers, reports, court documents, book excerpts, personal testimonies and hundreds of links to additional relevant resources".

there's a lot that the official church WON'T tell you - that's why it's important that people read up...

feel free to post ANY links about Scientology - i won't mind - as long as folks get the full picture.