• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists pinpoint our most distant animal relatives

Colt

sd-logo.png

Date: March 31, 2021

Source: Trinity College Dublin

Summary: Scientists believe they have pinpointed our most distant animal relative in the tree of life and, in doing so, have resolved an ongoing debate. Their work finds strong evidence that sponges - not more complex comb jellies - were our most distant relatives.

Scientists pinpoint our most distant animal relatives

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Part of what makes it hard to trace such distant relatives is that traits can be gained and lost and even gained again. Convergent evolution is a thing. In specific environments certain traits can be favored. Flight evolved independently in lizards, dinosaurs, and mammals, or pterodactyls, birds, and bats for lay people. They are similar but all use different preexisting structures differently.

And as the article pointed out one may try to invent a new form of transportation but merely reinvent the bus. Or in a real life example, the Hyper Loop:

15 remarkable images that show the 200-year evolution of the Hyperloop

It is amazing that as time goes on Musk's "invention" has gotten closer and closer to the original idea.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Their work finds strong evidence that sponges - not more complex comb jellies - were our most distant relatives.

You probably mean the most distant animal relatives. The theory of evolution posits that the last universal common ancestor, a unicellular marine form, was an even more distant relative of man, and not an animal at all.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

If every living thing came from a one celled creature in some primordial swamp, then that would seem to be the most distant relative of every living thing.

ecco

Veteran Member
Their work finds strong evidence that sponges were our most distant relatives.

That explains why we can soak up so much information in our little brains.

ETA: Correction to the above after reading some posts.

That explains why we some of us can soak up so much information in our little brains.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If every living thing came from a one celled creature in some primordial swamp, then that would seem to be the most distant relative of every living thing.
Yes, but the article was specifically about our most distant animal relative. When it comes to non-animal relatives all plants would be equally distant. Bacteria and archaea would be even more distantly and equally related.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Human claim I will research the past.

Living human as old in body as is defined by science is given.

Living human life form.

In light constant heavens living as a human. moving one cycle by age as a human counting cycle around the sun.

A human in human form science identified by living humans.

Life today.

Science says in science I am human only.

Science says human sperm human ovary in human mother reforms human life.

Evolution of natural life from its owned parent. Ours is human. Living.

Science says as science a dead human skeleton in our human past is linked biologically in its skeleton dead body to what I research as superior ability to compare form.

By bones left.

Actually as a human.
Actually as a scientist living.

Dead bones are dead bones only.

Our closest living life biological an ape makes no living claims as a scientist yet science keeps saying once we were an ape as a human scientist.

The ape life proves you are lying.

As the ape not a human would then say my own pre existing life form was such and such. Without a human even existing as a science statement. To teach by logic.

Yet a human is making all claims. Falsely.

Consciousness is a human teaching against human egotism. As no sponge had human sex to produce my human life. How I live.

If a sponge changes form. It never changed into a human. Ancestry is by genetic owned DNA as whole forms. Human DNA is a whole human. It is not a cell.

Compare cells biology owns similar life chemistry as when you live applying the research you tell your human self as a human what you identify. Yet it is not related as you research separate identified bodies.

Humans in the past as first humans are dead.

Science cannot compare my human life today to first humans as they physically lived in physical conditions. Natural. Are dead bones.

What science ignores.

Before humans is some other bones to look at to tell stories this type of life was once living. Yet it is not our life. Any self living is owning ability to talk or think.

I believe is the correct science con.

Yet like any human group you have to have group support to enforce it. What I believe. By I believe human condition.

The whole time a human quotes I am researching. And you are just a human and not the research a choice.

If you say it is to prove. The living bodies are self present in any form you research and it is not proof. Correct word is self owned form. Self owned as it is separate to study as a separate body.

Information says body not connected.