• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific American weighs in -15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pah

Uber all member
Magazine Content
July 2002 issue
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000D4FEC-7D5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=1&catID=2

15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense
Opponents of evolution want to make a place for creationism by tearing down real science, but their arguments don't hold up
By John Rennie

When Charles Darwin introduced the theory of evolution through natural selection 143 years ago, the scientists of the day argued over it fiercely, but the massing evidence from paleontology, genetics, zoology, molecular biology and other fields gradually established evolution's truth beyond reasonable doubt. Today that battle has been won everywhere--except in the public imagination.

Embarrassingly, in the 21st century, in the most scientifically advanced nation the world has ever known, creationists can still persuade politicians, judges and ordinary citizens that evolution is a flawed, poorly supported fantasy. They lobby for creationist ideas such as "intelligent design" to be taught as alternatives to evolution in science classrooms. As this article goes to press, the Ohio Board of Education is debating whether to mandate such a change. Some antievolutionists, such as Philip E. Johnson, a law professor at the University of California at Berkeley and author of Darwin on Trial, admit that they intend for intelligent-design theory to serve as a "wedge" for reopening science classrooms to discussions of God.

Besieged teachers and others may increasingly find themselves on the spot to defend evolution and refute creationism. The arguments that creationists use are typically specious and based on misunderstandings of (or outright lies about) evolution, but the number and diversity of the objections can put even well-informed people at a disadvantage.

To help with answering them, the following list rebuts some of the most common "scientific" arguments raised against evolution. It also directs readers to further sources for information and explains why creation science has no place in the classroom.
Following this intoduction, the 15 "debate busters" are given

I really like the one that shows, in evolution style, how monkies can produce Hamlet

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The opposition to evolution has now become institutionalized. There are organizations whose sole purpose is to promote an anti evolution agenda. In all likelihood, some of these organizations will outlive their founders. Therefore, I see the battle as lasting a long time.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I think the name of the article is ill advised. It only fosters a combative dialogue with those who believe in God. Unfortunately, a few evolutionists who are also atheists, adhere to the false notion that God and Evolution are mutually exclusive. You simply don't have to prove God wrong to prove evolution right. They are just as guilty of making this an issue about religion which only confuses things.

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
I think the name of the article is ill advised. It only fosters a combative dialogue with those who believe in God. Unfortunately, a few evolutionists who are also atheists, adhere to the false notion that God and Evolution are mutually exclusive. You simply don't have to prove God wrong to prove evolution right. They are just as guilty of making this an issue about religion which only confuses things.
While the "nonsense" is a tad (or big tad) emotive, it tracks well with a scientific thought. And as always, I and many others here realize that creationism is only a relatively small segment of Christianity and is especially not indicative of Christian love which deserves and demands our respect.

The only importance to that small segment is that it is politically loud and persistent.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Well Pah... I honestly believe that God created us through evolution. That makes me a creationist as well as a evolutionist. I don't see them as incompatible at all. God is the consumate craftsman... and he can use any tool in his repertoire! These tools range from evolution, to geologic catasptrophes, to even man made catastrophes. All things work towards his purpose, though we might not like it.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Dinogrrl said:
Care to elaborate?
I think that NetDoc stated it best. The title is not very inviting to a Christian that believes in creationism. Personally, I found the article very interesting and it made some very good points, but the 15 points that were rebutted are a generalization of Christian beliefs. Personally, I don't usually get involved in the ID or evolution discussions here, but the title got to me a little bit. Give me another ten years or so of study and maybe I can argue for creationism in here. Either that or I will be another pah. God forbid.:D

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
Well Pah... I honestly believe that God created us through evolution. That makes me a creationist as well as a evolutionist. I don't see them as incompatible at all. God is the consumate craftsman... and he can use any tool in his repertoire! These tools range from evolution, to geologic catasptrophes, to even man made catastrophes. All things work towards his purpose, though we might not like it.
We have a slight disconect. A creationist in my mind is the YEC. You seem to fit the OEC. Seems to be my bad but it's gonna be hard to break the habit.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Thanks, Pah - you do an excellent job of finding these types of articles. As I read the article, I was struck by how closely the author mirrors many of the points raised on RF by the ID Proponents, and even more strongly the rebuttals put forth.

Then again, what would a journal like "Scientific American" know about the (psuedo)science of creationism?

TVOR

fredm596

I would like to ask you just a simple question as how can you believe in God AND evolution?
i am rather confused with these 2 conditions being one?

Pah

Uber all member
fredm596 said:
I would like to ask you just a simple question as how can you believe in God AND evolution?
i am rather confused with these 2 conditions being one?
Some Chritians believe that God used evolution when he created us.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
That's what I believe o_O.
I believe God created the universe, and the natural laws that govern it. And then he let those natural laws do what thy do best--'govern' nature.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Dinogrrl said:
That's what I believe o_O.
I believe God created the universe, and the natural laws that govern it. And then he let those natural laws do what thy do best--'govern' nature.
In your view, then, who were Adam and Eve? Were they just myths or real people?

Dinogrrl

peeb!
They were myths. A metaphor maybe for when man gained or was given self-consciousness and morals. Or just became a 'higher' being. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.