• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific advances in abiogenesis

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So very true, life could have been delivered to Earth with a hail of meteorites with the building blocks of life that were directed into the young Earth which set the stage for the rise of life here; or perhaps life was brought to Earth with a proto-organism. Either way, life on Earth might have been invented beyond our solar system and then delivered here to Earth.

Not be directed the early earth had many many meteorites. I avoid hypothetical perhaps when natural down to earth explanations are adequate.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Not be directed the early earth had many many meteorites. I avoid hypothetical perhaps when natural down to earth explanations are adequate.

Our genetic coding indicates life was brought to Earth from beyond our solar system....there is no other plausible explanation of how the genetic coding for all life forms ended up here on Earth.

Recent evidence suggests that mechanisms other than random mutation and natural selection could play an important role in evolution - it is now apparent that horizontal gene transfer is much more widespread than previously thought. There are also many instances of genes detected in species that have no known current use for them. It is claimed that other aspects of evolution which present problems for neo-Darwinism are more easily explained by cosmic ancestry or panspermia, such as life's rapid start on Earth.

Reference: Ulrich Technau et al., "Maintenance of ancestral complexity and non-metazoan genes in two basal cnidarians" [abstract], doi:10.1016/j.tig.2005.09.007, p 633-639 v 21, Trend in Genetics, December 2005

aible, F.; Tessmar-Raible, K.; Osoegawa, K.; Wincker, P.; Jubin, C.; Balavoine, G.; Ferrier, D.; Benes, V.; De Jong, P.; Weissenbach, J.; Bork, P.; Arendt, D. (Nov 2005). "Vertebrate-type intron-rich genes in the marine annelid Platynereis dumerilii ". Science. 310(5752): 1325–1326. Bibcode:2005Sci...310.1325R. doi:10.1126/science.1119089. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 16311335.

Arne Kusserow et al., "Unexpected complexity of the Wnt gene family in a sea anemone", doi:10.1038/nature03158, p 156-160 v 433, Nature, 13 Jan 2005

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Our genetic coding indicates life was brought to Earth from beyond our solar system....there is no other plausible explanation of how the genetic coding for all life forms ended up here on Earth

Your presenting an 'argument from ignorance' based a very very weak hypothesis for genetic coding.

I do not consider it a plausible explanation. We have been here before. Your reference is bogus.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Your presenting an 'argument from ignorance' based a very very weak hypothesis for genetic coding.

Recent evidence suggests that mechanisms other than random mutation and natural selection could play an important role in evolution - it is now apparent that horizontal gene transfer is much more widespread than previously thought. There are also many instances of genes detected in species that have no known current use for them. It is claimed that other aspects of evolution which present problems for neo-Darwinism are more easily explained by cosmic ancestry or panspermia, such as life's rapid start on Earth.

Reference: Ulrich Technau et al., "Maintenance of ancestral complexity and non-metazoan genes in two basal cnidarians" [abstract], doi:10.1016/j.tig.2005.09.007, p 633-639 v 21, Trend in Genetics, December 2005

aible, F.; Tessmar-Raible, K.; Osoegawa, K.; Wincker, P.; Jubin, C.; Balavoine, G.; Ferrier, D.; Benes, V.; De Jong, P.; Weissenbach, J.; Bork, P.; Arendt, D. (Nov 2005). "Vertebrate-type intron-rich genes in the marine annelid Platynereis dumerilii ". Science. 310(5752): 1325–1326. Bibcode:2005Sci...310.1325R. doi:10.1126/science.1119089. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 16311335.

Arne Kusserow et al., "Unexpected complexity of the Wnt gene family in a sea anemone", doi:10.1038/nature03158, p 156-160 v 433, Nature, 13 Jan 2005

atanu

Premium Member
......at death, it is the process (of life) that ceases, not the body or the chemicals. Life is not an organic collection of chemicals (I don't think anyone except people attempting to discredit the idea of abiogenesis is even suggesting that),

Peace Peace Peace.

What is the meaning of an announcement like "LIFE'S FIRST SPARK RE-CREATED IN THE LABORATORY"? Please refer to OP.

As a working geochemist, I applaud the work of chemists who have synthesised component chemicals of living systems in laboratory. But to claim as above is not scientific, IMO. RNA is an important component of living systems. But to claim it is life's first spark is a hyperbole, IMO. This kind of claim is not strictly scientific. It is popular journalism.

it is an organismic process necessarily involving chemistry and that's why it is so important to study the possible chemistry of the possible origins of life.

Well. In this I have a different view. Sufficient to say that we do not know what life actually is. If we knew we would be able to recreate it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Peace Peace Peace.

What is the meaning of an announcement like "LIFE'S FIRST SPARK RE-CREATED IN THE LABORATORY"? Please refer to OP.

As a working geochemist, I applaud the work of chemists who have synthesised component chemicals of living systems in laboratory. But to claim as above is not scientific, IMO. RNA is an important component of living systems. But to claim it is life's first spark is a hyperbole, IMO. This kind of claim is not strictly scientific. It is popular journalism.

Well. In this I have a different view. Sufficient to say that we do not know what life actually is. If we knew we would be able to recreate it.
Since the development of life through abiogenesis would be a rather drawn out process and there would be no clear line between life and nonlife of course the statement was a bit of hyperbole. It takes a lot longer to say "Recent discovery is an important step in understanding how abiogenesis occurred". Headlines are designed to catch one's attention and hyperbole is the norm.

You should know this, so why are you comp!aining?

atanu

Premium Member
But why do you, again, jump to sentient life. We are not concerned with sentient life here, -

Because sentience is here and now. If I claim I have created first sparks of life in laboratory, it will imply that sentience will be the inevitable product. And that has absurd implications that can be discussed separately. Sufficient to say that a mechanically created sentience is already determined and cannot have freedom to assess truth value of propositions.

I will point your attention to a post of mine that clarifies my position.

Scientific advances in abiogenesis

unless you are claiming that the most primitive archaea were already sentient. Is that your claim? If so on what grounds?

That is a different subject, although not unlinked. We can discuss it separately. I can only say that life is not a property of life-forms. We do not know what life is.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This reference concerns the mechanism of the chemical evolution of inorganic phosphates to organic phosphates.

From: Scientists Just Found a Vital Missing Link in The Origins of Life on Earth

Scientists Just Found a Vital Missing Link in The Origins of Life on Earth
Meet diamidophosphate.

MIKE MCRAE
7 NOV 2017
Carbon might be the backbone of organic chemistry, but life on Earth wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for another critical member of the periodic table – phosphorus.

Transforming run of the mill hydrocarbons into the kinds of molecules that include this important element is a giant evolutionary leap, chemically speaking. But now scientists think they know how such a vital step was accomplished.

Researchers from The Scripps Research Institute in California have identified a molecule capable of performing phosphorylation in water, making it a solid candidate for what has until now been a missing link in the chain from lifeless soup to evolving cells.

In the classic chicken and egg conundrum of biology's origins, debate continues to rage over which process kicked off others in order to get to life. Was RNA was followed by protein structures? Did metabolism spark the whole shebang? And what about the lipids?

No matter what school of abiogenesis you hail from, the production of these various classes of organic molecules requires a process called phosphorylation – getting a group of three oxygens and a phosphorus to attach to other molecules.

Nobody has provided strong evidence in support of any particular agent that might have been responsible for making this happen to prebiotic compounds. Until now.

"We suggest a phosphorylation chemistry that could have given rise, all in the same place, to oligonucleotides, oligopeptides, and the cell-like structures to enclose them," says researcher Ramanarayanan Krishnamurthy.

Enter diamidophosphate (DAP).

Combined with imidazole acting as a catalyst, DAP could have bridged the critical gap from early compounds such as uridine and cytidine. That might not seem overly exciting, but phosphorylating nucleosides like these is a crucial step on the road to building the chains of RNA that could serve as the first primitive genes.

siti

Peace Peace Peace.

Of course it is popular journalism - its called a "headline" - its meant to grab your attention. But in any case, a spark is not a fire - and RNA seems a reasonable candidate for the chemistry necessary as a precursor ("spark") to "life". That idea is not hyperbole even if the headline is. It is a perfectly reasonable idea (and some posters have already commented on why the RNA-world hypothesis is reasonable). Of course we don't know that that is what happened - but we are getting closer to knowing that it is something that could have happened. Clearly there is a lot more to it than just the genesis of the first RNA molecule, but there is also a lot more to a forest fire than the carelessly discarded cigarette butt that started it. But that doesn't mean that knowing what started it isn't incredibly useful and illuminating information.

atanu

Premium Member
Of course it is popular journalism - its called a "headline" - its meant to grab your attention. But in any case, a spark is not a fire - and RNA seems a reasonable candidate for the chemistry necessary as a precursor ("spark") to "life". That idea is not hyperbole even if the headline is. It is a perfectly reasonable idea (and some posters have already commented on why the RNA-world hypothesis is reasonable). Of course we don't know that that is what happened - but we are getting closer to knowing that it is something that could have happened. Clearly there is a lot more to it than just the genesis of the first RNA molecule, but there is also a lot more to a forest fire than the carelessly discarded cigarette butt that started it. But that doesn't mean that knowing what started it isn't incredibly useful and illuminating information.

Well. I have said what had to be. No one has demonstrated that RNA is first life or spark of life. I would declare "A key chemical component of living systems synthesised in laboratory".

Hyperbole such as "Life's First Spark re-created in laboratory" is not scientific, IMO, since we actually do not know what life is. If we knew we would have recreated life itself. I will stop here. Thanks for your response and for patience.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is no science reference to show that life-intelligence emerged from RNA. There are many theories. No one denies evolution of chemical structure and forms but that does not mean that you have explained origin of life.

Your still conflating intelligence and consciousness evoking a religious agenda and not responding coherently to the science issues of abiogenesis.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well. I have said what had to be. No one has demonstrated that RNA is first life or spark of life. I would say "A key chemical component of living systems synthesised in laboratory".

Your frog hair picking over a the title and not addressing the science behind the articel.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If aliens genetically bio-engineered humans. Then, doesn't it seem likely the building blocks/earliest forms of life found on Earth were indeed invented in a laboratory, but in a lab beyond Earth.

Aliens Genetically Created Us: Overwhelming Evidence

Last edited:

siti

Aliens Genetically Created Us: Overwhelming Evidence

Yes, the earliest forms of life on Earth might have indeed been produced in a laboratory, but in a lab beyond Earth.

OK - so who created the super-super-sophisticated aliens who are required to create the super-sophisticated terrestrial lifeforms...and who created the super-super-super-sophisticated creatures who would have been required to create the aliens who created humans...etc.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK - so who created the super-super-sophisticated aliens who are required to create the super-sophisticated terrestrial lifeforms...and who created the super-super-super-sophisticated creatures who would have been required to create the aliens who created humans...etc.
That would have been me. It was one neck of a weekend.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I dunno....:(