• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science standards under threat in Arizona

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
Yes, I saw that you made an unsupported claim that a slave could somehow buy off its freedom. Since slaves do not get wages for their work how were they to do that? Please cite the verses that explain how this can be done. Or were you merely making **** up?
Exo 21:1 "These are the rulings you are to present to them:
Exo 21:2 "If you purchase a Hebrew slave, he is to work six years; but in the seventh, he is to be given his freedom without having to pay anything.

Exo 21:3 If he came single, he is to leave single; if he was married when he came, his wife is to go with him when he leaves.
Exo 21:4 But if his master gave him a wife, and she bore him sons or daughters, then the wife and her children will belong to her master, and he will leave by himself.

Exo 21:5 Nevertheless, if the slave declares, 'I love my master, my wife and my children, so I don't want to go free,'
Exo 21:6 then his master is to bring him before God; and there at the door or doorpost, his master is to pierce his ear with an awl; and the man will be his slave for life.

That highlighted in purple indicates that at any other point in the 6 year span the slave can go free for a fee of some sort which I'm sure I've read but will have to do further research to find. I do not have the entirety of the Bible memorized.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Exo 21:1 "These are the rulings you are to present to them:
Exo 21:2 "If you purchase a Hebrew slave, he is to work six years; but in the seventh, he is to be given his freedom without having to pay anything.

Exo 21:3 If he came single, he is to leave single; if he was married when he came, his wife is to go with him when he leaves.
Exo 21:4 But if his master gave him a wife, and she bore him sons or daughters, then the wife and her children will belong to her master, and he will leave by himself.

Exo 21:5 Nevertheless, if the slave declares, 'I love my master, my wife and my children, so I don't want to go free,'
Exo 21:6 then his master is to bring him before God; and there at the door or doorpost, his master is to pierce his ear with an awl; and the man will be his slave for life.

That highlighted in purple indicates that at any other point in the 6 year span the slave can go free for a fee of some sort which I'm sure I've read but will have to do further research to find. I do not have the entirety of the Bible memorized.

We already covered your error of assuming that the laws that apply to Hebrew slaves apply to slaves that were not Hebrew.

Where does it say that a foreign slave can buy his freedom? Where does it say that a foreign slave is not a slave for life. You do not appear to be able to understand your own Bible. I listed you the some of the verses that tell you non-Hebrew slaves were slaves for life. Did you need me to quote them for you? When you do not understand your Bible you really should not accuse others of making your mistakes.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
We already covered your error of assuming that the laws that apply to Hebrew slaves apply to slaves that were not Hebrew.

Where does it say that a foreign slave can buy his freedom? Where does it say that a foreign slave is not a slave for life. You do not appear to be able to understand your own Bible. I listed you the some of the verses that tell you non-Hebrew slaves were slaves for life. Did you need me to quote them for you? When you do not understand your Bible you really should not accuse others of making your mistakes.
u=you listed 1.

Bear Wild

A solid B average does. Roman slaves could still purchase their freedom regardless of how crewel it was. I'm not ignorant of it's cruelty. Nor that of Hebrew slavemasters.
Paul said no matter how mean the master the Christian slave of said master was to work as if working for God Himself; with as much detail and muscle. Paul's word was not unaware of the cruelty of some masters. He just said to fulfill one's obligation to each master. I hardly painted a picture of slavery I merely noted how God's law treated it for Hebrew and Gentile slaves.

This makes it sound that god was ok with slavery or was Paul afraid to make slave owners mad by stating what should have been said - slavery is wrong and should be abolished. Of course if Paul spoke out about slavery he would but himself at risk from those who were in power and be construed as in sighting rebellion against those who owned slaves which would be the ruling class. Yet It seems condemning slavery is exactly what he should have said.
And as already mention it was nearly to completely impossible for a slave to earn money especially enough to earn freedom so those event were so rare it that even mentioning that as a possibility is clearly having little to no understanding of how bad Roman slavery was.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
ID isn't science. Therefore, it doesn't belong in a science classroom. It's pretty basic, really.

If someone wants it to be taught in a science classroom, then they need to scientifically demonstrate it. The theory of evolution is demonstrable, and the only scientific theory that adequately explains the available evidence. Hence the reason it's taught in science classrooms. You want something to be viewed from a scientific standpoint? Then it needs to be demonstrated from a scientific standpoint. Otherwise, keep it in the places where religion is taught. That's not a science classroom.

Here is the issue in a nutshell:

"The theory of evolution is demonstrable, and the only scientific theory that adequately explains the available evidence."

So, an alien race with superior technology aren't involved, but scientists spend millions on SETI and other efforts. Why?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

"The theory of evolution is demonstrable, and the only scientific theory that adequately explains the available evidence."

So, an alien race with superior technology aren't involved, but scientists spend millions on SETI and other efforts. Why?

Because we are interested in whether there are other intelligent beings in the universe?

I'm failing to see what that has to do with evolution. In all likelihood, similar processes of evolution would be operative on other planets. So?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Your question has nothing to do with your set up. Why even ask it? Do you have a point?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Did you bother to r-e-a-d my original post? I already addressed the non Hebrew slaves. You can quote me the verses if you want anyway. I believe they could buy their freedom too.

Leviticus 24:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Um, because scientists want to know if there is life beyond ours. They don't assert that aliens created life on earth though. Do you think aliens designed life on earth?

The issue in a nutshell is, what should be taught in science classrooms? The answer is science.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
Leviticus 24:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
I've already said I stand corrected I read your verse that was posted and responded. Do you also argue with my post that NT slaves could buy their freedom or someone could buy it for them?

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
I could list others. Non-Hebrew slaves were treated much like slaves in the southern U.S.. Hebrew slaves were the equivalent of indentured servants.
The Bible does not call them indentured servants it calls them servants. I also doubt, to discuss slavery instead of the subject of which slavery was but a mention by me in response, that God's law in response to Hebrew slaves was followed for more than 3 or so leaders of the Israelites.

Avoice1C

the means are the ends
This makes it sound that god was ok with slavery or was Paul afraid to make slave owners mad by stating what should have been said - slavery is wrong and should be abolished. Of course if Paul spoke out about slavery he would but himself at risk from those who were in power and be construed as in sighting rebellion against those who owned slaves which would be the ruling class. Yet It seems condemning slavery is exactly what he should have said.
And as already mention it was nearly to completely impossible for a slave to earn money especially enough to earn freedom so those event were so rare it that even mentioning that as a possibility is clearly having little to no understanding of how bad Roman slavery was.
It seems to me that Christianity was persecuted for being good to people, why add to the hatred of the religion by telling Christian Slaves what they already knew or inciting rebellion against master and the Government. Paul was trying to tell them how to make the best of a bad situation and gain their freedom a legal way if possible? Or are you forgetting that the Roman way was the world's way at the time?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Bible does not call them indentured servants it calls them servants. I also doubt, to discuss slavery instead of the subject of which slavery was but a mention by me in response, that God's law in response to Hebrew slaves was followed for more than 3 or so leaders of the Israelites.

Actually that is our translation of what the Bible says. The translators cleaned up the language a bit to keep the Bible from looking bad. Once again what I pointed out that fellow Hebrews that were enslaved were the equivalent of indentured servants (except if you sold your daughter into slavery, she was a slave forever too) . Slaves from other countries were slaves for life and were property. Property that you could will to your children. Not only that but their children were slaves too. Did you forget that early post that you quoted? A decent Hebrew that sold himself into the equivalent of indentured servitude could convert themselves into a slave for life and owners would get them to do that by "giving" them a wife, and that wife having children with him. Those were also the slave owner's property forever and a decent man would try to take care of his kids.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It seems to me that Christianity was persecuted for being good to people, why add to the hatred of the religion by telling Christian Slaves what they already knew or inciting rebellion against master and the Government. Paul was trying to tell them how to make the best of a bad situation and gain their freedom a legal way if possible? Or are you forgetting that the Roman way was the world's way at the time?

That is only unsupported speculation. Early Christianity caught on with the poor. Poor people were often "persecuted". Christians were not that special and did not get extra attention, unless they drew attention to themselves.