• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science, religion and the truth

sealchan

Yes I can. It resembles the very contours of the Milky Way when described as a celestial Serpent which encircle the entire night Sky above the Earth on both hemispheres.

I would say that the ouroborus also represents how life feeds on life (death) and that the circle seems to be unbroken. Knowing that such life systems evolve then indicates that the entire universe is a self-creating, self-destroying system which seems to create itself in the form of such unbroken, unbounded circles/cycles. Indeed a mystery but a ubiquitous one.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I didn't mention science (only in passing in the earlier post). I was pointing out what people tend to believe when they perhaps should put such into perspective. That is, some things being a lot more useful to us - disease origins and such - rather than myths concerning our origins, but apparently the originators of such myths weren't contacted and given this valuable information.

Yes, what has value to us? But that is in part subjective.
So just because you don't understand, that something can have value to me, doesn't mean, it doesn't have value to me.
Or in reverse.
Now how to do a "we" for value is a whole other ball game.

So here it is. I place value on God differently than you. But as long as I can separate that as for me versus as for a "we", it doesn't matter that you do it differently. What matters is how we go about a "we".
So we are playing a game of useful for you, me and us. But those are not the same and that "us" you use is limited. You don't control it and neither do I. We either agree or we don't.

Regards
Mikkel

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Depending on the understanding of a given human the statement "Earth rotates on its axis" will have meaning dependent on the given understanding.

Here is a simple test. Take the word "gravity". Imagine the universe without any humans or other beings with higher cognitive functions; now would gravity still be there? Now do the same with "truth". Would truth still be there?

You don't need truth.
Truth | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
There is a set of theories about truth, which are deflationary.
Further notice there is no just one theory of what truth is. Truth is apparently a human social construct.

Regards
Mikkel
No, explain me in terms of the statement I made.
"Earth rotates around it's axis".
Explain to me your reasons for saying it is not a True statement.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Perhaps instead of flipping out on a word again and introducing an irrelevant context and definition for it with as only purpose going of on yet another irrelevant tangent, you for once use the context and meaning in which the word was used in the actual conversation you butted into.

Just a suggestion.

You know what? Put me on ignore. Or learn that none of us controls the relevance as it is to another human. That it is irrelevant to you doesn't mean that it is irrelevant to me.
I accept that it is irrelevant to you, but I am still going to point out that it is irrelevant to you.

Regards
Mikkel

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, explain me in terms of the statement I made.
"Earth rotates around it's axis".
Explain to me your reasons for saying it is not a True statement.

Because I don't use truth like you do. To me it is a statement that conditionally works dependent on a particular POV in part. It has nothing to do with Truth.

Regards
Mikkel

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I don't use truth like you do. To me it is a statement that conditionally works dependent on a particular POV in part. It has nothing to do with Truth.

Regards
Mikkel
Provide an example of a POV where it is not a true statement.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Provide an example of a POV where it is not a true statement.

For people who don't have the understanding of what it means that the earth rotates on its axis it is not true, because they don't know how to check that is true.
True is a human ability, not a fact of something. Even if a fact is a human rule.

Regards
Mikkel

WhyIsThatSo

Yes I can. It resembles the very contours of the Milky Way when described as a celestial Serpent which encircle the entire night Sky above the Earth on both hemispheres.

Yes, cosmically , but I'm referring to it's esoteric (hidden) meaning.

WhyIsThatSo

We are not a "we". You do reality differently than me and so in reverse.
You are you and not me and so in reverse.
I accept that you do it differently than me and that you think you can speak of a "we", but I will still do it differently than you.

Regards
Mikkel

And again, "philosophy" is not something that is done,
It's what one IS. ( a lover of wisdom (Sophia) )

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For people who don't have the understanding of what it means that the earth rotates on its axis it is not true, because they don't know how to check that is true.
True is a human ability, not a fact of something. Even if a fact is a human rule.

Regards
Mikkel
Why won't the statement retain its truth value irrespective of an entity's ability to assess the truth claim being made?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And again, "philosophy" is not something that is done,
It's what one IS. ( a lover of wisdom (Sophia) )

Yeah, we are talking about 2 different kinds of philosophy. Here is my kind:
Philosophy, (from Greek, by way of Latin, philosophia, “love of wisdom”) the rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience.
philosophy | Definition, Systems, Fields, Schools, & Biographies

Notice consideration, that is an active behavior done by a human.
So you do your philosophy as love of wisdom and I do my kind. I don't own the words and neither do you. So we do it differently.

Regards
Mikkel

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's right, and "vacuum" is the condition that results from a loss of pressure. Whether it's small or large.
Vacuum is negative pressure.
No, a vacuum has *zero* pressure,not negative pressure. It is negative *relative* to atmospheric pressure.

he condition that results from subtracting pressure.
And is why the surrounding air pressure ONLY MOVES from higher to lower. ( and not the opposite ).

No, it *accelerates* from the difference in pressures because that difference in pressures is a *force* per unit area. it is then an application of F=ma.

Low pressure systems rotate counter-clockwise, high pressure systems rotate clock-wise ( both above the equator )

Without positive (male), and negative (female) forces....NOTHING moves.

???? I think you need to take some physics courses.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well then, doesn´t your gravity work in an absolute vacuum?

Yes, of course it does. And it serves as a counter to the pressure making the gas expand. It is the dynamic balance between those that determines the distribution of the gas.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why won't the statement retain its truth value irrespective of an entity's ability to assess the truth claim being made?

Because a statement as a statement doesn't have the property of being true. If a statement is true, then that happens in you because of your rule of truth. Truth happens in humans, not in the words as words.

Regards
Mikkel

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because a statement as a statement doesn't have the property of being true. If a statement is true, then that happens in you because of your rule of truth. Truth happens in humans, not in the words as words.

Regards
Mikkel
Why can't a statement have a truth property? Statements are forms of information, and information does have truth bearing properties.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why can't a statement have a truth property? Statements are forms of information, and information does have truth bearing properties.

Here is a test for you. If the information and thus meaning are in the words as words, then explain this:
Linear A and Linear B | script

How come we can't read Linear A? We have the words and thus we have the information in the words. Let me give you a tip. Look for the information being somewhere else than in the words as words.

Regards
Mikkel

WhyIsThatSo

Yeah, we are talking about 2 different kinds of philosophy. Here is my kind:
Philosophy, (from Greek, by way of Latin, philosophia, “love of wisdom”) the rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience.
philosophy | Definition, Systems, Fields, Schools, & Biographies

Notice consideration, that is an active behavior done by a human.
So you do your philosophy as love of wisdom and I do my kind. I don't own the words and neither do you. So we do it differently.

Regards
Mikkel

There is only one kind, and "Sophia" is a literal Sacred Being,
whether you know it or not.

WhyIsThatSo

No, a vacuum has *zero* pressure,not negative pressure. It is negative *relative* to atmospheric pressure.

No, it *accelerates* from the difference in pressures because that difference in pressures is a *force* per unit area. it is then an application of F=ma.

???? I think you need to take some physics courses.

lol.....please, give me a break. This is why you will never learn anything of value in this lifetime.
I guess that's why they make "vacuum gauges" with a negative pressure scale, to measure negative pressure,
which is anything below normal atmospheric pressure ( approx. 7 lbs psi ).

Oh, and "psi" is pounds per square inch, in case you don't know.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
lol.....please, give me a break. This is why you will never learn anything of value in this lifetime.
I guess that's why they make "vacuum gauges" with a negative pressure scale, to measure negative pressure,
which is anything below normal atmospheric pressure ( approx. 7 lbs psi ).

Oh, and "psi" is pounds per square inch, in case you don't know.

How can say 6 psi be negative pressure?

Regards
Mikkel