• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and Jesus

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
can you believe in both evolution and jesus ?
I can't.

Clearly that doesn't stop other people who can believe in both, and yet other people who believe in neither.

When I'm with friends and relatives who are believers, the solution is simple ─ we never talk about the theology (though we talked about the scandals without effort).

And clearly it doesn't stop them being decent, inclusive, positive people which is the important part ─ nor does it stop them being knowledgeable about and accepting of and fascinated by the sciences. I have no reason to think they think the world is only a few thousand years old and was under water at any time when humans were around, nor do they appear to be fussed at being genus Homo and grouped with the great apes.

It occurs to me to add that their children (some of whom have been and remain good friends with mine) are less concerned about church observances, and I'd guess faith plays very little part in their lives except for ceremonial occasions, but of course there's a spectrum there, some more, some less.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether or not I can believe in both evolution and Jesus depends upon what one believes about Jesus. For me, Jesus was an enlightened teacher, but no more a "son of God" than anyone else that walks the planet, and I don't believe in the virgin birth or that he was bodily resurrected as most Christians do.

But my view of Jesus does not conflict with evolution.

Also, evolution doesn't require belief. One can simply observe the objective evidence for it.

Or were you talking about you? You're free to believe whatever you feel will bring you a greater understand of you, your life, and the world you live in.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When you interpret the Jesus stories in a way that no magic remains. do you then believe in Jesus?
Do you believe in Vampires if you eliminate all the magic?
Right, but we weren't talking about eleminating the magic. While belief in magic is required for a literal interpretation of creation myths, a literal interpretation of creation myths isn't required for belief in magic.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Right, but we weren't talking about eleminating the magic. While belief in magic is required for a literal interpretation of creation myths, a literal interpretation of creation myths isn't required for belief in magic.
I don't see the relevance. We are talking about Jesus, not about creation myths.
My question is, if you believe, like @SalixIncendium, in a Jesus who never never performed any miracles, can you say you believe in the same Jesus a typical Christian believer believes in?

Bthoth

*banned*
I don't see the relevance. We are talking about Jesus, not about creation myths.
My question is, if you believe, like @SalixIncendium, in a Jesus who never never performed any miracles, can you say you believe in the same Jesus a typical Christian believer believes in?
Sure...just read what he said and skip the religious beliefs. Even if no one there recording the exact words, it is easier to accept material like this than what a church spins up.

kneeled to him, was questioning him, `Good teacher, what may I do, that life age-during I may inherit?'

18 And Jesus said to him, `Why me dost thou call good? no one [is] good except One -- God;

19 the commands thou hast known: Thou mayest not commit adultery, Thou mayest do no murder, Thou mayest not steal, Thou mayest not bear false witness, Thou mayest not defraud, Honour thy father and mother.'

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Science and Jesus

Didn't Jesus a human being got born of a woman ( Mary) like every other human being he also got evolved, don't I believe evolution and Jesus together, please, right???

Regards