• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and atheism inconsistent?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Who on earth is Marcelo Gleiser? I hear he won the Templeton prize, which is not exactly what I would be proud of.

I wonder what he thinks about Bob the invisible turtle. Bob is the creator of the Universe, and He created the Universe by performing a huge fart that can be identified with the Big Bang.

I am sure that to say that the Universe did not definitely originate from Bob’s fart is also inconsistent with science. And I am sure he would agree with that.

And?

Ciao

- viole

ecco

Veteran Member
Wide, positive atheism, the view that there are no gods whatsoever, might appear to be the most difficult atheistic thesis to defend, but ontological naturalists have responded that the case for no gods is parallel to the case for no elves, pixies, dwarves, fairies, goblins, or other creates. A decisive proof against every possible supernatural being is not necessary for the conclusion that none of them are real to be justified. The ontological naturalist atheist believes that once we have devoted sufficient investigation into enough particular cases and the general considerations about natural laws, magic, and supernatural entities, it becomes reasonable to conclude that the whole enterprise is an explanatory dead end for figuring out what sort of things there are in the world.
Whereas I don't necessarily disagree with any of the above, I find that it uses a lot of big words and is drawn out for the sake of trying to sound profound.

I would offer:

Rational people, including but not limited to atheists, do not find it necessary to repeatedly prove that it is nonsensical to resort to the supernatural to explain nature.​

ecco

Veteran Member
Doesn’t seem incoherent. I thought it was straightforward. Basically, atheism is an absolute statement whereas science rarely if ever makes such statements.
Science doesn't say the Grand Canyon was not carved by The Great Flood?
Science doesn't say the earth is not 6000 years old?
Science doesn't say the earth is not flat?

Science does say the age of the universe is 13.772 billion years.
Science does say the scablands are the result of ice dams forming and breaching.
Science does say man is the result of Evolution.

It seems science makes absolute statements all the time.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Did you want to address any of the points I've raised? Would you like to explain why Atheists do not believe in the existence of God(s)? Maybe you think Atheists hate God, and love science more? Maybe you think that Atheists do not have the same level of blind faith as you do? Maybe you think that God only speaks to those that believe in him. Maybe you believe that God chooses only those that will join Him in heaven. These are just some of the reasons I have heard, including profound ignorance. What is your reason?

I won't bother asking for any evidence to support anything out of your mouth, since we both know where that will end.
Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe ah . . . and maybe . . .

You most be answering someone else, but not anything I posted.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Furthermore, there is abundant evidence that God, god, gods are nothing more than the creation of man's imaginings.
There is no specific objective verifiable evidence that could lead to these conclusions as far as science goes, but yes the God(s) of ancient scripture, like the Bible interpreted literally, are terribly unlikely based on the evidence of science, history and archaeology.

ecco

Veteran Member
i didn't single out atheism as anti-scientific. i stated having any kind of belief/disbelief; without research, testing the belief/disbelief, is anti-scientific.

Are you presuming that people hold positions of belief/disbelief without research, testing the belief/disbelief?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Are you presuming that people hold positions of belief/disbelief without research, testing the belief/disbelief?

Yes, many in fact do, due to their desire of sense of community and belonging particularly their cultural and familiar heritage.

ecco

Veteran Member
Regarding Dr. Gleiser ‘s view, his statement about atheistic stand “I don't believe even though I have no evidence for or against, simply I don't believe.', suggests that he is not conflating.
He may not be conflating, but he is either lying or ignorant.

You do know that, don't you?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Whereas I don't necessarily disagree with any of the above, I find that it uses a lot of big words and is drawn out for the sake of trying to sound profound.

I would offer:

Rational people, including but not limited to atheists, do not find it necessary to repeatedly prove that it is nonsensical to resort to the supernatural to explain nature.​

Big words? Nothing here beyond the advanced high school level.

ecco

Veteran Member
Furthermore, there is abundant evidence that God, god, gods are nothing more than the creation of man's imaginings.

There is no specific objective verifiable evidence that could lead to these conclusions as far as science goes, but yes the God(s) of ancient scripture, like the Bible interpreted literally, are terribly unlikely based on the evidence of science, history and archaeology.

All that sounds very self-contradictory. Are you suggesting that gods of modern scripture, like the writings of Marshall Applewhite are likely?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
All that sounds very self-contradictory. Are you suggesting that gods of modern scripture, like the writings of Marshall Applewhite are likely?

No, I am referring to only the miracle working hands on God(s) of ancient scripture interpreted in some way literally as many if not most Christians do at present.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes, many in fact do, due to their desire of sense of community and belonging particularly their cultural and familiar heritage.
And I agree. Now, would you say that many atheists came to their belief without research and testing the belief/disbelief?
Would you say that many atheists came to their belief due to their desire for sense of community and belonging particularly their cultural and familiar heritage?

Which approach would be more rational?