• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and atheism inconsistent?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not ‘mentality’. I said ‘mentally’ meaning ‘knowing through mental-sensual apparatus’.

Two points. First. What are you looking for as God? What is your definition of God?

Second. I hold that non cognition is not evidence or proof of non existence. Everyone stops seeing/knowing self and world in deep sleep. But is the self non existent?

And i am dyslexic and did not spot my error, i think because the wording "your mentally" does not make much sense in the context so in my blindness to words i substituted mentally for mentality.

What is anyones definition of god, everyone has a different definition. How i define god is how i was raised in the CofE, i.e the god of the bible. And i am not looking for anything in the line of gods.

Most of the time those in deep sleep wake up.

Proof by exhaustion works for me. In ten thousand years or so there has never shown him/her/it self, has never been seen, there has been absolutely no varifyed event attributed to a god and literally billions of people claiming gods existence has ever been able to provide any evidence in reality. It would only take one, just one falsifiable god event to dispel this proof. I eagerly await.

On the contrary, there is so much hard evidence to indicate gods dont exist it is difficult for me to comprehend how do many poeople ignore it.

atanu

Premium Member
Most of the time those in deep sleep wake up.
Yes. We know that we can exist without being aware of self and world.

Proof by exhaustion works for me.

Do you think that your proof exhausts the fact (as pointed through the example of deep sleep above) that there can be evidences beyond waking state mind-senses?

I am only talking of possibility.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Do you think that your proof exhausts the fact (as pointed through the example of deep sleep above) that there can be evidences beyond waking state mind-senses?

Deep sleep is a a straw man, it has been studied, imagery of brain activity taken and measured. Has a god ever had an mri scan?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Sleeping state mind senses? Not very reliable, I'm afraid.

atanu

Premium Member
Sleeping state mind senses? Not very reliable, I'm afraid.

Is it sarcasm?o_O

I said that while mind-senses go to sleep, the self exists. One cannot say that if mind-senses do not perceive a thing that thing is non existent.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
The imagery is good. But I am being a reporter of view of a scientist. It seems that you have not even examined the OP.
I examined the OP. Here is part of what your scientist said...

"I think atheism is inconsistent with the scientific method. What I mean by that is, what is atheism? It's a statement, a categorical statement that expresses belief in nonbelief. 'I don't believe even though I have no evidence for or against, simply I don't believe.' Period.​

The problem is that he makes a statement that has no basis in fact. All atheists do not have the same reason for their viewpoint. What he stated is certainly not my viewpoint.

It's very hypocritical for Gleiser to argue that atheism is "inconsistent with the scientific method" when that comment is based on no research at all.

Perhaps before being "a reporter of view of a scientist" you should ascertain if the view of the scientist is a reasonable one.

ecco

Veteran Member
You acknowledge that ‘atheism is a belief’. So I say that a belief is not compatible with science.

be·lief
/bəˈlēf/
noun
  1. 1.
    an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
    "his belief in the value of hard work"
  2. 2.
    trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
    "a belief in democratic politics"
I have a deep belief that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity has been proven many times by many different methods.

You need to understand the definitions of words so that you do not misuse them.