• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School Says Halloween Disrespectful to Witches

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I had to laugh (and shake my head) when I read this

Oh, my.

What's next?! Although I can understand not wanting to do something on school time...the last 'reason' just seems silly to me..

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Do they not realize that most people, including Wiccans and other pagans grew up loving Halloween?

gnomon

As if the Wiccan religion has any ownership of Halloween.

edit: Like Christianity has any ownership of Christmas.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This is just silly, once again it shows that people knoe nothing about this history of a Holiday. Plus I really don't think most Witches, Wiccens, or Pagans. Most of us like the whole, dressing up and all. Sometimes it the only time of the year we do dress wired.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If it was sincerely to remove negative stereotypes, they could just remove that element from the celebration. But it seems like they are using it as a cop-out. I am glad to see that people are taking neo-Paganism seriously, but it shouldn't be a scapegoat.

Smoke

Done here.
I wonder, if enough schools cancel Halloween celebrations because they say they're disrespectful to witches, will Evangelicals start demanding Halloween celebrations? ;)

blackout

Violet.
I wonder, if enough schools cancel Halloween celebrations because they say they're disrespectful to witches, will Evangelicals start demanding Halloween celebrations? ;)
Cute!

But don't you think it's the evangelical types themselves who actually THINK that the evil green witch on a broom stereotype is an acurate depiction of what "witchery" really is?
I kinda think it's more humorous than disrespectful.:D
(maybe I'm wrong, but I actually think that Halloween and HP and the like give TRUE scourcers & "spellers" a good cloak of "cover")

A day of caricatured recognition might not be all bad.;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
This IS a cop-out. If it were really about "offending witches" then they could simply ask that those costumes not be worn. But i don't think so. Shoot. How many real pagans have dressed up as the stereotypical witch at halloween parties for fun? Halloween is for fun. That's what it is about. It's not like they are calling it a Samhain party and pretending to sacrifice goats or some nonsense. Sheesh.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Nothing wrong with a Samhain Party, I love a good fire, and the dancing, drumming, getting tranced up. Much better than some stuffy church service/ You don't need to dress up unless you feel like it.

Melissa

SonofSatan

Satan's little helper
Politically correct holidays are no fun to anyone. Plus I read the comments on that link, a lot of them where witches saying they where not offended.
It is not possible to please everyone, and trying to do so will probably offend more people then it pleases.

Somkid

I forgot about Halloween we don't have it in Asia. I do recall when I worked in a hospital many of the staff dressed up and I kind of thought it was well.... stupid how do you tell a family that they just lost a loved one or a loved one was seriously injured dressed like a hooker... I mean a cat or a large bunny.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
Sounds like a clop of fresh BS to me. Still steaming even. I don't think witches, myself included would give a rats arse if children dressed up to celebrate a holiday. Sounds like there is another agenda here and they are claiming it in the name of witches, wiccans and pagans...please. :sorry1: don't buy it.

:bb:

Nessa