• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schiavo Bill

Should the family/spouse be able to decide?

• Total voters

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
House panel OKs 'Schiavo bill' to keep patients fed, hydrated

TALLAHASSEE -- A state House committee on Wednesday approved Terri Schiavo-inspired legislation that requires incapacitatedpatients be provided food and water unless they have a written will that states otherwise.

The bill (HB 701) is co-sponsored by several First Coast legislators and was approved 7-4 by the House Health Care Regulation Committee. Prior written consent would be needed to remove a feeding tube from a person deemed incompetent.

"What this bill does is very clearly present the difference between life-support measures versus basic sustenance," said Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, author of the bill. But it didn't pass without resistance from the committee's Democratic members, who cast the only "no" votes and argued the bill would take away a family's right to decide the fate of a loved one.

Bah.

I have to fix my will again.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
As a Republican, I am disappointed in this bill. It's an unnecessary intrusion into the rights of patients and their families. Didn't Michael Schiavo have to go to court to remove Terri's feeding tube?? That decision wasn't taken lightly, and all this law would do is create another court case as if this type of situation happens again, the next family would have to sue and get this law struck down before proceeding with a hearing to determine if the person is in a vegetative state.

I guess since the committee approved it, the entire FL House will take it up next. I for one hope they have the votes there to defeat it.

Dr. Nosophoros

What is funny is that your own family cannot make life or death decisions for you yet an insurance company can quit paying for care when the money limit is reached effectively ending the life of those that need life support to survive- it truly is a strange world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thank you for posting that. First thing tomorow, im going to write a note saying if Im ever in that state, just go ahead and shoot me.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As a former Republican, it is issues like this that make me glad that I converted! Republicans simply pay lip service to concept that less government is best. As soon as it suits them, they make government intrude on our lives with an alarming alacrity. In fact, in lieu of the current RECORD deficit, it is obvious that the Repubs are the true tax and spenders of the realm.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Luke Wolf said:
Thank you for posting that. First thing tomorow, im going to write a note saying if Im ever in that state, just go ahead and shoot me.
unless they have a written will that states otherwise.
Looks like you'll need more than a note. A legal will would probably involve a lawyer or perhaps a mail order will kit of some sort.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
NetDoc said:
As a former Republican, it is issues like this that make me glad that I converted!...
The Democrats saddled us with Social Security and were tax and spend for so many years and I'm not convinced they wouldn't be if they returned to power. The Libertarians opposition to US involvement beyond our borders is a bit naive, and the Republicans have abandoned the principles of limited government and fiscal responsibility that I still hole, so right now I am a man without a party.:bonk:

I have a question, not a flame, for those who voted or are thinking about voting no in this poll.:D If not the family/spouse of the patient, who should make the deicsion?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The person should, CX, a noterized document stating their wishes. If this is not possible it should be presumed they wish to live.

Melody

jamaesi said:
This is ridiculous. It's impossible to cite every instance where you wish to remain on feeding tubes and those for which you wish to have them removed. My will is going to look like a programmer's flow chart "If..but...then...".

I should be able to designate my husband as my legal guardian in such cases and leave it up to his discretion.

Bureaucrats....thppppt! :149:

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I tend to agree with the bill. When the patient's wishes are not specifically documented, presuming life is the only morally right thng to do. Decisions of life and death should not be left to family members when there is no real proof of what the patients wishes would have been.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Dr. Nosophoros said:
What is funny is that your own family cannot make life or death decisions for you yet an insurance company can quit paying for care when the money limit is reached effectively ending the life of those that need life support to survive- it truly is a strange world.
What?!?!?! So, when the money runs out, hospitals are refusing care in critical situations? I think you have seen to many movies.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
EEWRED said:
What?!?!?! So, when the money runs out, hospitals are refusing care in critical situations? I think you have seen to many movies.
It happened to a child, I think it was in California. I'll try to find a link to it.

Ceridwen018

The person should, CX, a noterized document stating their wishes. If this is not possible it should be presumed they wish to live.
In this day and age, its just stupid not to specify whether you want to be on life support or not. However, for those few who don't, there's no "wishing to be alive" involved.

I say that they should give that food and water to the little starving kids in Africa where it will actually accomplish something--certainly not to people who are already dead. Families who keep their loved ones on life support are just being selfish--they're keeping that person around simply because they are in denial don't want to let go. The truth is that that person is never going to come back, and that they should just let them die already!

Fluffy

A fool
I should be able to designate my husband as my legal guardian in such cases and leave it up to his discretion.
I think that this should be allowed and I do not think that the bill was intended to stop this sort of thing, and if that case does come up I'm sure some leeway or ammendment will be given. As long as you designate somebody to make the decision for you then you should be allowed to. I do think that is a necessary prerequisite of having that person make a decision, however.

Pah

Uber all member
EEWRED said:
I tend to agree with the bill. When the patient's wishes are not specifically documented, presuming life is the only morally right thng to do. Decisions of life and death should not be left to family members when there is no real proof of what the patients wishes would have been.
There is a principle in law that the spouse speaks for the mate and the parents speak for the child. The bill, it seems, would reverse that and perhaps set a precendent for other matters like the spouse assuming the debt of the mate.

A presumptive government should not speak when the other nominal agents of a person are present.