• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scandal over Downing Street's (illegal) Christmas Party

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My husband and I are scheduled for boosters, Moderna, I have misgivings because we initially received the J&J vaccine.
According to the recent research on this mixing & matching, you should have nothing to worry about.

kaninchen

Goodness, even 'Frosty the No Man' can't take it anymore! Surely an opportunity for a diplomatic genius like like Steve Baker or Mark Francois to take on EU negotiations? :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
No, Liz Truss :eek:
The nomination of Truss is revealing, I think, in two ways. The first is that she has no ideas of her own and will do what Bozo wants, which right now is to climb down and settle, to make the issue go away. The second is that by doing this she will destroy her chances of winning any leadership contest. If the disgruntled Tories can't find candidates they prefer to Bozo, they will not unseat him. She's the current favourite, so tarnishing her as "weak (i.e. reasonable) on Brexit" is a good survival strategy from Bozo.;)

Altfish

Veteran Member
The nomination of Truss is revealing, I think, in two ways. The first is that she has no ideas of her own and will do what Bozo wants, which right now is to climb down and settle, to make the issue go away. The second is that by doing this she will destroy her chances of winning any leadership contest. If the disgruntled Tories can't find candidates they prefer to Bozo, they will not unseat him. She's the current favourite, so tarnishing her as "weak (i.e. reasonable) on Brexit" is a good survival strategy from Bozo.;)
Agree - but neither does Johnson have any ideas of his own. He is led by his funders and the ERG

exchemist

Veteran Member
Agree - but neither does Johnson have any ideas of his own. He is led by his funders and the ERG
Sure. But now he's in a bind, he has found out the EU won't budge and he wants to settle. That means of course reneging on his promises to the Daieoupaeigh, but what the hell, he'll just have to get Truss to shaft them. And she'll have to face the wrath of the boneheads in his party, too. The same wrath Sajid Javid is going to face, as he's about to announce more Covid restrictions. So that will put him out of contention as well.

But although the ire of the party may be directed initially to the monkeys, the fat organ grinder ultimately won't escape responsibility for these decisions. Bozo has built his career on telling people what they want to hear and moving on quickly enough to avoid the flak when he doesn't deliver. But now a whole series of these chickens is coming home to roost at once. It is going to be enormous fun watching him sink into the mire, like Stapleton in the Hound of the Baskervilles. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap.:D

Seems Sunak may get a clear run, in about 6 months. After the May elections perhaps?

kaninchen

The second is that by doing this she will destroy her chances of winning any leadership contest.

The thing is that the next General Election is on the horizon and even fanatical Brexiteers have their majorities to worry about. The lesson of recent events may well be that very many Brexit voters are losing interest in endless war with the EU - after all, they'd signed up for a quick and jolly war where the EU would capitulate to every kipper whim or implode with the population of Europe endlessly grateful for liberation from their chains by mighty Albion.

From the point of view of many in the Parliamentary Party, burying Brexit as an issue might be the policy for which the time has come.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The thing is that the next General Election is on the horizon and even fanatical Brexiteers have their majorities to worry about. The lesson of recent events may well be that very many Brexit voters are losing interest in endless war with the EU - after all, they'd signed up for a quick and jolly war where the EU would capitulate to every kipper whim or implode with the population of Europe endlessly grateful for liberation from their chains by mighty Albion.

From the point of view of many in the Parliamentary Party, burying Brexit as an issue might be the policy for which the time has come.
True.

But that's being rational, of course. The evidence from this What's App group, that Mad Nad got chucked out of, is that the Swivel-Eyed Tendency in the party still doesn't get it. They are the mirror image of those Labour people that thought everyone was gagging for Corbyn's vision of Britain and that one last heave to the Left would see them elected. You can see that in Bridgen's stupid comments about why they lost N. Shropshire.

kaninchen

The evidence from this What's App group, that Mad Nad got chucked out of, is that the Swivel-Eyed Tendency in the party still doesn't get it. They are the mirror image of those Labour people that thought everyone was gagging for Corbyn's vision of Britain and that one last heave to the Left would see them elected. You can see that in Bridgen's stupid comments about why they lost N. Shropshire.

I'm something of a devotee of Conservative Home (good place for Tory-watching), though, and its surveys of the Party membership show her to be very popular and, while she's an ex-Remainer and forever suspect on that score, she's a founder-member of the 'Britannia Unhinged', small state, low taxation, zero regulation, Singapore-On-Thames tendency. In other words, she'd lose 'Red Kipper' seats but hold 'Blue Wall' seats (if the farmers can be bought off in some way).

She's also not (overtly) mad.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm something of a devotee of Conservative Home (good place for Tory-watching), though, and its surveys of the Party membership show her to be very popular and, while she's an ex-Remainer and forever suspect on that score, she's a founder-member of the 'Britannia Unhinged', small state, low taxation, zero regulation, Singapore-On-Thames tendency. In other words, she'd lose 'Red Kipper' seats but hold 'Blue Wall' seats (if the farmers can be bought off in some way).

She's also not (overtly) mad.
Yes, what in our family we refer to as Singapoor-on-Thames, since the rolling back of the welfare state that it would involve would entrench poverty all over the country. It is a crazy vision, with absolutely no prospect of success in the country that founded the modern welfare state, under Attlee after the war. In Singapore, they use lots of migrant labour that they can simply re-export when the people involved are not sufficiently productive or get old or ill. Whereas, post Brexit, the anti-immigration UK has denied itself the chance to use migrant labour at all. It's a ridiculous notion.

The levelling up agenda is actually just the sort of One Nation Toryism that I have supported all my life. But it's nuts to try it with one arm tied behind your back economically, which is where we find ourselves after Brexit.

Oh well, it will be amusing to watch the in-fighting in the party: Red Wallers vs. Britannia Unhinged.:D

Altfish

Veteran Member

It is a very distant horizon - late 2024 IIRC - calamity Johnson was re-elected in December 2019.

kaninchen

It is a crazy vision, with absolutely no prospect of success in the country that founded the modern welfare state, under Attlee after the war.

In Singapore, they use lots of migrant labour that they can simply re-export when the people involved are not sufficiently productive or get old or ill. Whereas, post Brexit, the anti-immigration UK has denied itself the chance to use migrant labour at all. It's a ridiculous notion.

The levelling up agenda is actually just the sort of One Nation Toryism that I have supported all my life. But it's nuts to try it with one arm tied behind your back economically, which is where we find ourselves after Brexit.

Oh well, it will be amusing to watch the in-fighting in the party: Red Wallers vs. Britannia Unhinged.:D

Remember all those red kippers who voted enthusiastically to ditch 'EU red tape'? Without having bothered to find out what it meant?

It's to be hoped that voting against your own interests in order to spite other people (Germans/French/Brussels/Metropolitan Elite) could prove to have been a fleeting whim.

The 'One Nation' Conservative Party is dead - only electoral reform could bring it back - and there is no 'levelling up agenda', there are only 'levelling up gestures'.

kaninchen

It is a very distant horizon - late 2024 IIRC - calamity Johnson was re-elected in December 2019.

In some ways that's the case but the policy foundations of a victory in 2024 have to be laid now and it's difficult to see just what initiatives would be real vote-winners (one of the reasons I'm a devotee of Conservative Home, the Centre For Policy Studies etc is that they're where they discuss stuff like that) in a context where they'll have been in power for 14 years, where Brexit will have become very dreary (at best), with a background of high debts and high taxation, and so on and so on.