• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satan has no physical form, assures Catholic exorcist

Cypress

Dragon Mom
Spanish exorcist Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea Cucurull stated in an interview last week that though Satan does indeed exist, he does not have “horns, wings or a tail.”
The priest recommended that the faithful seek the counsel of a priest if they suspect someone is possessed.

Fr. Fortea is a priest and theologian who specializes in demonology and is now studying for his doctorate of theology in Rome.

In an interview with the newspaper El Tiempo during his recent visit to Colombia, Fr. Fortea said, “The devil does not have a body, a color, or a visual form, nor does he have horns, wings or a tail.
He is an invisible, bodiless entity.”

“Believing in God means believing in what he has said. And he has spoken of the existence of the devil,” the priest remarked, recalling that “at the end of the 'Our Father' he warned, ‘Deliver us from evil’.”

Fr. Fortea then explained that though he has never seen a demon, he knows they exist, saying he has felt the presence of evil.
“I have approached this like a scientist: even though I wear a habit, I am not void of reason.”

“On a certain number of occasions, alone at my house or other places, I have felt an evil presence.”
He continued. “I would be lying if I did not acknowledge that I felt that evil presence in an intense and powerful way.”

The priest said that during one of these instances, his cat quickly scurried behind the curtains, staring at a particular spot in the room.

“It is not normal for a cat to hide, tremble and stare at a particular point,” he added.

“Although we tend to speak of the demon, in reality there are many demons, each one is different, but there is one who is head over all the demons, the most powerful one: Satan,” the priest continued.

Fr. Fortea went on to say, “Anyone who resorts to spiritism, witchcraft, or worse yet, Satanism, is in danger of being possessed.
That is the general norm, but there are cases that have no explanation, even if someone has not engaged in these practices.”

“When someone possessed receives an exorcism, it takes a reasonable amount of time for him or her to be liberated. A number of sessions are required.
The devil resists because he knows he is condemned to leave,” he added.

Fr. Fortea said he does not feel “especially harassed, but reason does tell me that since he exists, the devil does have outstanding issues with me.”
source

Personally I think exorcism is dangerous nonsense.
There was a woman in Germany, Anneliese Michel, who even died from exorcisms at the age of 23 in 1976.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
My favorite line right after 'Fr. Fortea then explained that though he has never seen a demon, he knows they exist, saying he has felt the presence of evil';
“I have approached this like a scientist: even though I wear a habit, I am not void of reason.”
What a dolt.

A

angellous_evangellous

OK... every once in a while a Catholic exorcist makes a weird public statement.

They aren't supposed to do that.

ZooGirl02

Personally, I don't even think I believe in a being called Satan. Sure, I believe in evil but I don't think there is some supernatural being out there that causes it.

Venatoris

source

Personally I think exorcism is dangerous nonsense.
There was a woman in Germany, Anneliese Michel, who even died from exorcisms at the age of 23 in 1976.

Is "The exorcism of Emily Rose" any good? I never watched it.
OK... every once in a while a Catholic exorcist makes a weird public statement.

They aren't supposed to do that.

They aren't supposed to do what? Make statements or perform exorcisms?

Midnight Pete

Personally, I don't even think I believe in a being called Satan. Sure, I believe in evil but I don't think there is some supernatural being out there that causes it.

And yet you are Roman Catholic.

How is that a Roman Catholic does not believe in Satan?

HCSpirit

Hard Core
I have seen nasty invisible stuff. If one is a mystic, sooner or later one runs into it. It can be seen to influence humans in ways that could be called evil. So I don't doubt the existence of what some religions call Satan, or devils, or demons, and I think that the experience this priest said he had is genuine.

Where I disagree with those who worry about demons is in their origins, power, and importance.

I think much, perhaps even most or all, invisible crud originates, not with fallen angels or other superhuman powers, but with humans-- our confusion, our manipulation, our hate, our suffering. If one has the capacity, one can actually "see" such things in the air after an unresolved argument. I think that, while invisible crap can be very destructive when it meshes with the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the persons it affects, it has no relationship with profounder truths. It shouldn't be glamorized as Truth's polar opposite. I think 98% of what goes by the name of exorcism is destructive nonsense, and far too many "exorcisms" are criminal or near-criminal attempts to remove differences of opinion or disease.

I will not glamorize invisible crap with the words "demon" or "devil", let alone as the demigod Satan. Instead, I call the stuff "fleas"-- diminutive parasites that sometimes need to be fumigated. They are not Big Scary Evil™ at war with Absolute Good™.