• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same-sex marriage races ahead

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It works both ways, for example straights could decide the word "straight" is an offensive slur, and demand to be called heterosexuals..:)

I hope you realize that your absurd arguments aren't going to convince anyone, but they - and your refusal to treat other people with decency and respect in the first place - speaks volumes about your character.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It works both ways, for example straights could decide the word "straight" is an offensive slur, and demand to be called heterosexuals..

:facepalm:

You're just embarrassing yourself at this point. You could always just say "I apologize, I didn't realize it was a slur" and move on, instead of continuing to dig an already very deep grave for yourself.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sorry mate I'm a bit confused, your profile says you're a male..:)

Hi.....!
Don't worry about the criticisms! It has taken me two years to try and pick up on some of the more 'international' 'correct' terminology, and some folks can be mighty touchy about which term is ok and which not.

I know a bloke (with three sons and a daughter) who was a rent boy in Town, and if I copied his use of phrases and terms many of this lot would need psychotherapy! :)

Thank God that we do have same-sex marriage here now. I have been reading how in some States a civil union could be crushed by relatives, but I doubt that this applied here in the jolly old UK. Even so, I think it's great that we sorted this out.

I think the CofE Synod voted for it as well, about 3 months ago? So same sex marriages can happen in some Churches now. I think it's great........ and the momentum needs to keep moving....

averageJOE

zombie
If gays simply called it "civil union" like they used to, nobody would bat an eye, but by calling it "marriage" they're understandably taking a lot of flak from annoyed straights for hijacking the word marriage..

Is anyone stopping you, personally, from calling it a civil union?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Is anyone stopping you, personally, from calling it a civil union?

Hi.....

Let me answer this.... ok?
In the UK 'marriage' is now the term, and although our civil-partnerships were much stronger than some American States', you can see the differences for yourself, and you can also get a glimpse of the kind of reaction same-sex marriage was receiving up until recently.... much as described by shuttlecraft. :)

Gay marriage v civil partnership: what's the difference? | World news | The Guardian

Is there a legal difference between the two?

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 gave same-sex couples the rights and responsibilities similar to those in a civil marriage. Civil partners are entitled to the same property rights, the same exemptions on inheritance tax, social security and pension benefits as married couples. They also have the same ability to get parental responsibility for a partner's children as well as reasonable maintenance, tenancy rights, insurance and next-of-kin rights in hospital and with doctors. There is a process similar to divorce for dissolving a civil partnership.

So why don't they have the same status under English law?

In 2006, Sir Mark Potter, president of the high court family division, told an academic lesbian couple that they faced an "insurmountable hurdle" in trying to have a same-sex marriage recognised in English law. He said marriage was regarded as an "age-old institution" that was "by longstanding definition and acceptance" a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children. The couple, Celia Kitzinger and Sue Wilkinson, who were married in Canada and spent their life savings on the court battle, said they were deeply disappointed saying they had been "stripped" of their marriage.

Any practical differences in the ceremonies?

Until now it has been banned for civil partnership ceremonies to include religious readings, music or symbols and forbidden for them to take place in religious venues, regardless of the views of the building's owners. In Scotland, which has its own legislation, some church parishes offer blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples.

Any other practical differences?

Civil partners of male peers or knights do not receive a courtesy title to which the spouse of a peer or knight would be entitled.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If by 'Christianity' you mean Organised Religion, yes the big bosses and many congregations are a bunch of no-hopers which is why I don't go to church.
But remember, they're NOT Christianity, JESUS is Christianity, and he never said a word about gays/lesbians/trannies one way or another, so your beef is with Org Rel, not with JC..:)

A bunch of no hopers hey. You say such nice things about other followers dont you.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Sorry, I'm English and perhaps we see words differently.
Do you prefer the harder less friendly word 'transexual'?
And how about gays, do you prefer the word 'homosexual'?

Incidentally I once dated a tranny...(oops sorry),--a transexual-- named Zoe, she used to be a male pipe fitter for British Gas and was a dead ringer for Counsellor Troi..:)

I refuse to be offended by the word homosexual. My gf, however, hates that word due to how it has been used in the past.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Incidentally, by wanting the word 'marriage', it's backfiring on gay couples because it makes it look like they just want to "play at" being married.
Also, a lot of straights don't like the idea of them hijacking the word "marriage".
So a better idea would be to keep the term "civil union", but tighten up the small print to give gay couples exactly the same legal rights and status as male/female married couples..:)

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Incidentally, by wanting the word 'marriage', it's backfiring on gay couples because it makes it look like they just want to "play at" being married.
Erm, what? That doesn't even make sense.

The reason they want to use the word "marriage" is because they want their relationships recognized as equal and just as acceptable as heterosexual relationships. I really don't see how it's that complicated, or how such a suggestion is in any way unreasonable.

Also, a lot of straights don't like the idea of them hijacking the word "marriage".
I don't know a single one of these people.

Also, in what way are they "hijacking" the word marriage? It's not like they're taking it FROM heterosexual couples; The word "marriage" can still be used, it will just have a slightly broader definition than it used to. Words and definitions change all time, so in what way is the word being "hijacked"?

To put it in the words of Charlie Brooker: "If I choose to redefine the word 'spoon' as 'something I stick up my ***', that doesn't prevent you from enjoying your pudding... Unless it was your spoon".

So a better idea would be to keep the term "civil union", but tighten up the small print to give gay couples exactly the same legal rights and status as male/female married couples..
But what difference would that make? If they're going to have all the same legal rights and statuses as marriage, why not just call it marriage?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
And I hear some gay couples want to have a proper marriage ceremony in churches, how sweet..:)
Half the clergy are gay anyway so it'd go like this-
VICAR- "Charles and Timmy, I now pronounce you man and wife"
CHARLES- "May I kiss my bride?"
VICAR- "Me first"
..:)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And I hear some gay couples want to have a proper marriage ceremony in churches, how sweet..:)
VICAR- "Me first"
Boy, you are good at making Christianity look disgusting.

Tom

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
VICAR- "Me first"

Way to make Christians look bad.

Why can't all people have the same right to marriage? Why would two men or two women who love each other be prevented from having the same legal rights as a straight couple?

I have never heard any real reason to argue against gay marriage - what possible harm could it do?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Way to make Christians look bad.

Why can't all people have the same right to marriage? Why would two men or two women who love each other be prevented from having the same legal rights as a straight couple?

I have never heard any real reason to argue against gay marriage - what possible harm could it do?

Think of the dictionaries, man! :sad4:

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Perhaps gays think they'll get an easy ride when Islam takes over, but I very much doubt it..:)
For example muslim vigilante patrols hassle gays and put up posters like these in muslim areas of Brit cities-

sharia-sticker.jpg

averageJOE

zombie
Hi.....

Let me answer this.... ok?
In the UK 'marriage' is now the term, and although our civil-partnerships were much stronger than some American States', you can see the differences for yourself, and you can also get a glimpse of the kind of reaction same-sex marriage was receiving up until recently.... much as described by shuttlecraft. :)

I think you misunderstand the question I asked.

averageJOE

zombie
So a better idea would be to keep the term "civil union", but tighten up the small print to give gay couples exactly the same legal rights and status as male/female married couples..:)

So why not you, personally, call it a civil union and let the government call it a marriage?