• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salvation

lostwanderingsoul

Everyone dies.
Humans have a physical body and a non physical spirit. The body dies. The spirit may or may not die depending on if the person repents of his sins and is willing to follow God's way of life. This applies to Christians, Jews, Muslims and all other people. Regardless of what they believe.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Humans have a physical body and a non physical spirit. The body dies. The spirit may or may not die depending on if the person repents of his sins and is willing to follow God's way of life.
Before you said: "The penalty for sin is DEATH. Jesus died so others do not have to die."

So did you mean that Jesus died so others do not have to die spiritually?
If the spirit does not die, what happens to the spirit after the physical body dies?

In Christianity, it is said that Jesus provides salvation. Salvation from what, though? ....

Salvation from the judgment that would come because of sin.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

If person has sin, he needs forgiveness to be saved from the judgment that would come because of sin. And after forgiveness, person needs to become righteous to have eternal life.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In Christianity, it is said that Jesus provides salvation. Salvation from what, though? 'Salvation from your sins' seems to be a common answer, but that still sounds vague. It differs from Judaism and Islam in that one can go directly to G-d in repentence. Where did this Christian concept of salvation come from, and from what, exactly is this salvation? Can a Christian go directly to 'God the Father' and ask forgiveness? If not, why not? It seems odd to me that a middleman such as Jesus is needed.
I suspect that interpretation is an innovation. Its rooted in the gospel Matthew 1:21 "...for he shall save his people from their sins..." This undoubtedly refers to Jews, his people. The question is what sins are alleged? Saving them seems to imply that he will cause them to repent, to change course. If it were not so they could simply be forgiven, but instead some change must be wrought. In other words it seems to imply they have made an error in judgement. What is that error which brings Jesus to speak to them about it? That will give us the measuring bar to measure how much the interpretation has changed since the writing of Matthew.

All we have to do, then, is to determine exactly what it is Jesus thinks the Jews are doing wrong. Then we compare that to what people today think salvation from sin is. That gives us our 'Carbon 14' dating plan.

Audie

Veteran Member
In Christianity, it is said that Jesus provides salvation. Salvation from what, though? 'Salvation from your sins' seems to be a common answer, but that still sounds vague. It differs from Judaism and Islam in that one can go directly to G-d in repentence. Where did this Christian concept of salvation come from, and from what, exactly is this salvation? Can a Christian go directly to 'God the Father' and ask forgiveness? If not, why not? It seems odd to me that a middleman such as Jesus is needed.

Killing himself to pay himself so that he can sve you from himself

Makes prrfect sense

Audie

Veteran Member
Salvation from the judgment that would come because of sin.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

If person has sin, he needs forgiveness to be saved from the judgment that would come because of sin. And after forgiveness, person needs to become righteous to have eternal life.

"Judgement" cant do anything. Talk straight already.

Saved from god, not "judgement".

Eyes to See

Again, only within your theology.

Although it has always been apparent, it becomes more and more so to me that the only people in the entire world that believe the Bible and practice what it teaches are Jehovah's Witnesses.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So hanging on a cross til you die is not a big deal?
At least it was in the open air.

And we had people really sacrificing themselves. Not like Jesus, alive and kicking and ready to rule the universe after the weekend.

i mean, do you really find impressing?

ciao

- viole

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And we had people really sacrificing themselves. Not like Jesus, alive and kicking and ready to rule the universe after the weekend.
True, if Jesus really rose from the dead, then it was no sacrifice to die on the cross.

Oh, the irony of Christian theology. :rolleyes:

But since Jesus did not rise, He sacrificed His physical life and passed on to the spiritual world.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hey Rival.
I recall the book of Genesis tells us that some time after Adam sinned, Abel offered a sacrifice to God.
What would you say was the reason for that?
Could it have had something to do with his understanding what was needed to allow mankind to have a relationship with God, and be at complete rest with him.
Is there any man at complete rest with God?
(Psalm 49:7-10) 7 None of them can ever redeem a brother Or give to God a ransom for him, 8 (The ransom price for their life is so precious That it is always beyond their reach); 9 That he should live forever and not see the pit.
10 . . .even wise people die; The stupid and the unreasoning perish together. . .
(Psalm 49:15) . . .But God will redeem me from the power of the Grave. . .

No. death separates us from God. It is an enemy, which needs to be removed.
This is salvation, is it not?
Having communication with God is not all. We need to be saved from sin and death.
Is there any place in the Bible that says, this has happened? Only the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ makes that provision possible.

nPeace

Veteran Member
True, if Jesus really rose from the dead, then it was no sacrifice to die on the cross.

Oh, the irony of Christian theology. :rolleyes:

But since Jesus did not rise, He sacrificed His physical life and passed on to the spiritual world.
Oh dear me. :facepalm:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why can't one repent though?
How does repenting save one from the sinful defect inherited from your fore parents?
(Psalm 51:5) Look! I was born guilty of error, And my mother conceived me in sin.
(Job 14:4) Who can produce someone clean from someone unclean? No one can!
(Ecclesiastes 7:20) For there is no righteous man on earth who always does good and never sins.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Think of it this way... In the Jewish Law, you had a High-Priest as an intermediary for so many aspects of worship and forgiveness. The High-Priest was the middle man.

We are saved from any separation from God in all aspects of our life and living. After being united with God's Holy Spirit, you can go directly to the Father and ask forgiveness.
Going directly to God will be possible only after the thousand years, when sin is completely removed, and Christ hands back the Kingdom to his God, and father, when he has brought the last enemy death to a finish.
(1 Corinthians 15:20-28)
Until then, we must approach God through his son Jesus Christ. Is that not correct?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Going directly to God will be possible only after the thousand years, when sin is completely removed, and Christ hands back the Kingdom to his God, and father, when he has brought the last enemy death to a finish.
(1 Corinthians 15:20-28)
Until then, we must approach God through his son Jesus Christ. Is that not correct?

IMV The work of His son, Jesus Christ, is the only way to approach God now and forever. Spiritually speaking, it is direct even now,Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

I think it is now and forever. IMO since we approach Him spiritually.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why must you accept him though? How can a human take on another's sins and pay for them, and if he does so, why then must you repent if he has taken them? In that case, of what are you repenting? How does this scheme work with regards to Yechezkel 18:21-22,

And if the wicked man repent of all his sins that he has committed and keeps all My laws and executes justice and righteousness, he shall surely live, he shall not die. All his transgressions that he has committed shall not be remembered regarding him: through his righteousness that he has done he shall live.

Nothing here about needing a saviour, and it explicitly says if he repents his wickedness will not be remembered.
Of course this scripture does not refer to everlasting life, but shows how merciful God is, that he forgives sins... even past sins.

nPeace

Veteran Member
IMV The work of His son, Jesus Christ, is the only way to approach God now and forever. Spiritually speaking, it is direct even now,Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Why do you believe it is forever. Just wondering if it is based on scripture, or personal opinion.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Could you explain... what do you mean by Spiritually speaking, it is direct even now,Hebrews 4:16?