• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saint Veneration and Ancestor Veneration, what's the difference?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Is there one, or do Christians just play semantics games to make there be one?

What's the difference in seeking the aid of a saint you believe is alive in Christ and seeking the aid of an ancestor you think is alive in an afterlife realm?

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum

What's the difference in seeking the aid of a saint you believe is alive in Christ and seeking the aid of an ancestor you think is alive in an afterlife realm?

I believe there is no difference between the two. I also don't see much of a difference between praying to "patron" saints and praying to pantheon gods.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Mostly there are lots more ancestors than there are saints (discounting football fans, of course).

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I believe there is no difference between the two. I also don't see much of a difference between praying to "patron" saints and praying to pantheon gods.

The main difference is, as explained to me by a priest, is that when a person prays to a saint, it's not like when they pray to God. It is more similar to when someone asks a friend to pray for them. But in this case, they are asking a Saint to basically pray for them. The logic is that Saints are closer to God than we are. So by asking them to pray for you, it is just a way to get better help, in a way.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
In such cases, I wonder how God could make a distinction between a saint and a non saint prayer. I mean, given the very SAME prayer, how could one of those parts be given more attention than the other?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me. Saints are just ancestors that go through some bureaucratic selection process. For some reason, many people feel the need to connect to other people to meet their own needs.

I don't see why, if one believes in an almighty god, it would make sense to pray to a middle man. The logic seems to imply that god is fairly impersonal, contrary to what many in the religion would say.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
In such cases, I wonder how God could make a distinction between a saint and a non saint prayer. I mean, given the very SAME prayer, how could one of those parts be given more attention than the other?
It's not necessarily more attention, but better directed. Just think about it. If you were to have some one on Earth, a friend or family, pray for you, there's some distance. Now, a Saint is right there in heaven, not a long distance at all from God.

Really though, it's just having one more person pray for an individual. Not saying I agree with it, but I can understand the thinking.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Most people believe that God is omnipresent. He is not just in Heavens, but rather, everywhere. Which means the distance between "God and us" and "God and Saints" is , in fact, the same. The only possible difference is the Saints being able to perceive God's existence in a better way. Also, prayers are not like cars or airplanes which take some time to reach their destinations. Rather, prayers are seen like a "live" conversation with God, just like as if you were talking to him in the telephone.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No difference at all.

My ancestors may not have been Saints, but how many of the declared Saints are actually Saints.
I would suggest a member of a family is more likely to speak up for his own.