• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian atheist faces year in jail for denying existence of God during webchat

SpeaksForTheTrees

According to Wikipedia, blasphemy and blasphemous libel are still offenses under common-law in Northern Ireland.
Yeah think they must drop a penny in the prayer box , the Irish have the art of blasphemy built into thier actual belief .
praise the lord now young paddy bey jeysus lad stand up straight for the fatha .
Disbelieving due to ones own personal philosophy and blasphemy are two different animals ?.Monty Python does fun sketches in life of Brian on this subject.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Yes, I saw this documentary about a Catholic priest in Ireland.... :p

My second partner her father Irish , died a while ago .
Had the gift of the blarney and could blaspheme to himself while doing diy . Lol I can remember him now accidently hitting his hand with the hammer

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The guy hasn't been found guilty yet has he. I'll reserve judgment till then. I totally disagree with the law in the first place, but let's see how it's being enforced.
So the fact that he was forced to spend a month in a psychiatric ward is not sufficient injustice and indignity for you condemn?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
So the fact that he was forced to spend a month in a psychiatric ward is not sufficient injustice and indignity for you condemn?

It plenty enough for me to condemn!!!

I was once forced to spend 3 days in a psych ward in Florida.
Why?
I was having an attack of pancreatitis (sp?) and said "I'd rather die than go through
this awful pain". That got me a ride to the nut house for 3 days as it's a freaking LAW
in Florida that if anyone utters anything like that they must have a 3 day psych
evaluation.
I did my 3 days, spoke to a shrink for 2 minutes who said "you ain't one bit nuts".
NO KIDDING!

AnnaCzereda

Here in Poland, we also have anti-blasphemy laws. You can have legal troubles for insulting the religious beliefs, at least theoretically. However, I regularly see people badmouthing God, Christianity, the Church and individual priests online and nothing happens to them. It could be different when one is a public and recognizable person. One Polish singer was sentenced for insulting the religious feelings of Catholics during the interview. She said something similar to what Krasnov said; that the Bible is a bunch of bull**** stories written by some dudes who were either drunk or stoned. She didn't go to prison but had to pay some money for the charity. Nergal of Behemoth had also troubles for tearing the Bible at his concert but got away with that. Generally, this stupid law is dead unless some douchebags, read Catholic fanatics, report you.

Jumi

We also have anti-blasphemy laws in Finland. 50 years ago was the last time they destroyed a book based on it that had drinking, dancing, sex and a parody of a sermon.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I can't imagine living in a country with anti-blasphemy laws, or anti-any-kind-of-speech laws. I live and breath my faith, which could be considered blasphemy in itself. What scares me more than the anti-blasphemy laws though are the anti-witchcraft laws. Yikes! I'm so grateful to live in a place where I can practice and talk about my beliefs without worrying about jail time, or worse, a death sentence.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Nope. That was the Soviet Union and even that endorsed it less than many seem to think.
No,that is not very true bro....
I am from Croatia where pretty much similar to soviet regime and I am 41 yrs old ,I know what happened .

Atheism WAS INDEED promoted at those times at school, on TV ,everywhere.

Jumi

No,that is not very true bro....
I am from Croatia where pretty much similar to soviet regime and I am 41 yrs old ,I know what happened .

Atheism WAS INDEED promoted at those times at school, on TV ,everywhere.
Yes, it was promoted with the strange god-like material dialectic which to my mind isn't atheist at all. But many seem to exaggerate the extent of the promotion to ISIL levels.

I know people from former Eastern bloc countries, including one Slovenian who probably had same experiences with you and one of my friends even left from the big bad guy the SU before it fell.

Russia arrest's someone for being a Atheist? How ironic, considering they were the fathers of Communism and the Soviet Union, which arrested people for not being Atheists.