• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian atheist faces year in jail for denying existence of God during webchat

Laika

Premium Member
A 38 year old named Krasnov, with a history of mental illness and of being in a psycharatric institutions denounces the bible as a "collection of Jewish Fairytales" and whilst facing a maxmimum one-year jail setenece for "offending the sentiments of Orthodox believers" his defence is that he attacked Halloween and Yiddhis Holidays as well.

I like this guy. :D

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Putin has discovered that allying himself with the Orthodox Church is useful in controlling the masses.

Oh, I see.

th

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
His Blofeldness, Tsar Putin of Most of the Russias, that bit of Ukraine, the Crimea and Hopefully One Day Belarus, by the Grace of God but Mostly the former KGB, have decreed apostasy to be a crime against His person.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Wow. This is bizarre. I know Putin's been teaming up with the Orthodox Church, but I never thought it would escalate this far on a legal/judicial scale.

Sultan Of Swing

The guy hasn't been found guilty yet has he. I'll reserve judgment till then. I totally disagree with the law in the first place, but let's see how it's being enforced.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...l-for-denying-existence-of-god-during-webchat

Let's be glad we don't live in Russia. Half of RF would be doing time.
I don't think that's criminal enough to deserve any time. Obviously the Russian Orthodox church cares about what unbelievers think. *Not* I don't get why Christians would be so offended by a person expressing beliefs. It's not like we don't know that they hold the position of there is no God. This shows you what Russia is like.

Jumi

Let's not get carried away though. Russia has both good and bad sides. This stuff doesn't surprise me, there is suppression of religious movements there and always has been. Scientology is pretty much banned there and new religious movements(or even old ones, such as native religions). Some of it is arguably a good thing, some doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter who is in charge of the country, it's what they've defaulted to.