• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia in Africa: How Disinformation Operations Target the Continent

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Russia is currently engaged in a disinformation campaign in Africa and exploiting historical grievances in the region to wedge pro-Kremlin sentiment into multiple African countries:

A large social network that promotes anti-Western and pro-Kremlin ideas is helping Russia expand its influence at the expense of France in some of its former colonies in Africa.

Called Russosphère (Russian Sphere), typical posts accuse France of modern-day "colonialism", eulogise Vladimir Putin, and call the Ukrainian army "Nazis" and "Satanists", echoing the official Russian line.

They also heap praise on Russia's Wagner mercenaries - even sharing recruitment information should followers want to join up.

Experts say that such misinformation drives mistrust between African nations and the West, and contributes to a lack of support for Ukraine on the continent.

Working with Logically, the tech organisation who traced the network, the BBC's Global Disinformation Team tracked down the surprising figure behind it: a 65-year-old Belgian politician who calls himself a Stalinist.

Russia in Africa: How disinformation operations target the continent

A separate article on CNN touches on this issue and cites examples of strategically vital alliances that Russia has managed to form in Africa by utilizing the historical tensions between Africa and the West:

CNN — Russia seems to be outmaneuvering the United States in Africa. In recent days, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov underscored that stark reality as he wined and dined his way through a tour of four African capitals.

As much as President Joe Biden would like African countries to join the Western alliance in isolating Russia over its brutality in Ukraine, Russia is making a show of bolstering ties with some powerful players on the continent.

Instead of being treated like a global pariah as the US wants, leaders in South Africa, Eritrea, Angola and Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) treated Lavrov like a cherished friend during his visit.

In South Africa, Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor greeted Lavrov with open arms. She didn’t use the meeting in Pretoria last Monday to repeat calls for Russia to stop killing Ukrainians. And she brushed off criticism, saying it would be “simplistic and infantile” to do so.

To make matters worse, Pandor also announced South Africa will soon conduct joint naval drills with Russia and China, calling it “exercises with friends.” The US and Europe were not amused.

But South Africa has historically strong ties with Russia, dating back to the days of apartheid when the Soviet Union stood with the then-banned ANC when it most needed support. It’s likely Lavrov reminded South Africans of that history during his visit.

Opinion: How Russia outmaneuvered the US in Africa | CNN

This is something I have seen first-hand among some people where I live who only buy into Russian disinformation because of negative sentiments toward the West even though they may not necessarily be fond of Russia and may even view it as a hostile state due to its actions in Syria, Afghanistan, and Chechnya, among others.

During the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, for example, the US supported Israel, while the USSR and a few of its allies supported Egypt and Arabs. Coupled with the extensive colonialist, exploitative legacy that some prominent NATO powers—mainly the UK and France—have in Africa, this creates a fertile ground for Russian influence and propaganda. And now the West is reaping what it has sown for decades at arguably the worst time possible.

I personally find this to be quite unfortunate, because our struggles in Africa should, in my opinion, only make us more empathetic toward countries that are also targeted by imperialist, criminal powers. I understand and share in many of the negative sentiments toward neocolonialist and abusive powers like the US, the UK, and France, but allying with Putin's Russia against Ukraine is not the solution. If anything, it paves the way for exactly the kind of geopolitical bullying that the Middle East and Africa have experienced numerous times historically.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I personally find this to be quite unfortunate, because our struggles in Africa should, in my opinion, only make us more empathetic toward countries that are also targeted by imperialist, criminal powers. I understand and share in many of the negative sentiments toward neocolonialist and abusive powers like the US, the UK, and France, but allying with Putin's Russia against Ukraine is not the solution. If anything, it paves the way for exactly the kind of geopolitical bullying that the Middle East and Africa have experienced numerous times historically.
It does seem odd, to me, but Russia and Europe and America all have a crap and terrible and abysmal record in the area. China makes sense, because it hasn't done much there (that I'm aware of), but Russia (under the leadership of a former Soviet, no less)?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It does seem odd, to me, but Russia and Europe and America all have a crap and terrible and abysmal record in the area. China makes sense, because it hasn't done much there (that I'm aware of), but Russia (under the leadership of a former Soviet, no less)?

China exploits child labor in African mines and exerts influence over governments to keep the slave labor going on in order to benefit from cheap minerals:

DRC/China: Child labour exposed in smart phone and electric car supply chains

Damning Report Documents How Small-Scale Chinese Cobalt Miners in the DR Congo Use Child Labor

The DRC Mining Industry: Child Labor and Formalization of Small-Scale Mining

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECB8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2QxXCqieKlBKVsJj1A4b3O

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Look into Chinese companies & cobalt mining in Congo.
That's the tip of the iceberg in China's troubling expansion.
Watch the countries that help support them by purchasing the cobalt. I'm sure we all know who encourages this thing to take place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watch the countries that help support them by purchasing the cobalt. I'm sure we all know who encourages this thing to take place.
Everybody needs cobalt for making metals, batteries, etc.
Congo has the biggest supply in the world
China owns the mines.

JIMMY12345

Russia is currently engaged in a disinformation campaign in Africa and exploiting historical grievances in the region to wedge pro-Kremlin sentiment into multiple African countries:

Russia in Africa: How disinformation operations target the continent

A separate article on CNN touches on this issue and cites examples of strategically vital alliances that Russia has managed to form in Africa by utilizing the historical tensions between Africa and the West:

Opinion: How Russia outmaneuvered the US in Africa | CNN

This is something I have seen first-hand among some people where I live who only buy into Russian disinformation because of negative sentiments toward the West even though they may not necessarily be fond of Russia and may even view it as a hostile state due to its actions in Syria, Afghanistan, and Chechnya, among others.

During the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, for example, the US supported Israel, while the USSR and a few of its allies supported Egypt and Arabs. Coupled with the extensive colonialist, exploitative legacy that some prominent NATO powers—mainly the UK and France—have in Africa, this creates a fertile ground for Russian influence and propaganda. And now the West is reaping what it has sown for decades at arguably the worst time possible.

Playing devils advocate.Lots of countries Africa included see Democracy as the means where the richest politician comes to power.They see the opportunity for a valid play off West and East as to whose is going to give them more money.Some countries might be sadly better off with a non capitalist system China is doing well.
Of course Russia is buying votes so they do not get kicked out of the UN.Reform the UN voting system so 75% of countries can eject a member who invades.