• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RPG Thread

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was wondering if I started a roleplay thread how many of you guys would join in? It would be one continuous roleplay with rules and such, so a pretty serious writing/creative game. Each person would invent his own character/s (there'd be a limit on how many one can have so it doesn't become too convoluted to follow) and interact in a plot driven story of our own making with others.

Any takers?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd be in, most likely. Might depend a little on setting and rules, but why not?
I was thinking of an old Arabian setting, but more broadly set in the late Classical Era Middle East. Seems to jive with the religious thing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What would the limitations be on character creation with regard to mortality, race (IOW would there be beast races or just humans?), skills, etc.?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What would the limitations be on character creation with regard to mortality, race (IOW would there be beast races, or just humans?), skills, etc.?
It'd be pretty standard limitations such as humans usually have, if not just to avoid god moding. So, say a character has an injured shoulder, it would be expected that this would be a limitation he has in the story until such a time as (within roleplay time) it would have healed. So it would be normal humans, although given the time period we could have things like seers, magi etc. And possibly demons and such.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So here's what I was thinking, broadly:

It would be set in the CE period just after Islam has been established so we can include them as a religious group. It would be a story set after a fierce battle has raged and no-one quite knows what caused it and there are still warring factions, but lots of political intrigue, who really fought for who, religious, ethnic, political and other divisions (I think it would be cool to have Gnostics, Pagans, Sufis and other such groups included as well) and the point is to unravel the political intrigue about the various kingdoms, political ties, scandals, apostasies, secret marriages etc. Characters such as corrupt clergy, fake royalty etc. would be cool.

It would be PG-13 though so any sexual content between two people (secret affairs etc.) would have to be essentially euphemised ('he took her into his tent' and we'd get the implications) etc.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Obviously this is open to suggestion but just thought I would float the idea :)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Would using conflict between real religions be problematic though?

I guess it could not be if the player emphasis is on cooperation; would this be open world forum style RPG where players belong to different factions or pen n paper RPG style where characters are mainly on a team with a DM making antagonists?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Would using conflict between real religions be problematic though?

I guess it could not be if the player emphasis is on cooperation; would this be open world forum style RPG where players belong to different factions or pen n paper RPG style where characters are mainly on a team with a DM making antagonists?
Open forum style. It'd be made up as it goes along.

I'd make a rule where religious conflict would have to be mostly clearly fictional or based not on current political conflicts. Players playing a character of a different faith would be required to not deliberately make their character out to be a stereotype (unless it's used humorously in an obvious way) or to degrade that religion. Characters would be allowed to lob insults at other characters' prophets, Gods etc. as long as this is taken in good, clearly fictional spirit. If folks can't take some ribbing, probably not the RPG for them.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I used to RP a little when I was a teen on yahoo chat back in ancient times.
I would play, but unfortunately know little about the region and era.
Could my character be a master duel wielder of the scimitar who fights atop a magic carpet, and the gem upon his sarpech traps the souls of those who fall to his blades?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to RP a little when I was a teen on yahoo chat back in ancient times.
I would play, but unfortunately know little about the region and era.
Could my character be a master duel wielder of the scimitar who fights atop a magic carpet, and the gem upon his sarpech traps the souls of those who fall to his blades?
I don't see why not, as long as there's at least one way for those souls to escape, perhaps?