• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lain

Discovered this song a while back with a Tweet which said it was good for listening to while reading Exodus, I agree. In fact it is good for Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Kings and Chronicles, Jeremiah, Lamentations, most of the other Prophets, Ecclesiastes, and many other sections of the Scripture as well. In my opinion at least.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Rorate Caeli is one of my favorites and that particular rendition of it is wonderful. I think the cantor's French accent only adds to the charm of the Latin.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Discovered this song a while back with a Tweet which said it was good for listening to while reading Exodus, I agree. In fact it is good for Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Kings and Chronicles, Jeremiah, Lamentations, most of the other Prophets, Ecclesiastes, and many other sections of the Scripture as well. In my opinion at least.
Yes, it’s normally sung at Advent. At one time I used to arrange to sing it during communion, antiphonally with another baritone in the choir, taking alternate phrases, positioning ourselves at opposite sides of the choir loft. It seemed to go down well.

The other one I like is Attende Domine, sung during Lent. My wife used to like that one. I’m getting the final phrase inscribed on her gravestone: Quos redemisti, tu conserva, Christe.

Last edited:

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Yes, it’s normally sung at Advent. At one time I used to arrange to sing it during communion, antiphonally with another baritone in the choir, taking alternate phrases, positioning ourselves at opposite sides of the choir loft. It seemed to go down well.

The other one I like is Attende Domine, sung during Lent. My wife used to like that one. I’m getting the final phrase inscribed on her gravestone: Quos redemisti, tu
conserva, Christe.
What A Beautiful Thought.............I pray She will Rest In Peace

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
What A Beautiful Thought.............I pray She will Rest IN Peace
Thank you.

Here is the chant. Unlike most chants, this one is really a hymn, i.e. it has a melody, repeated in each verse, with the same note lengths each time.

It is very ancient, the text going back to the c.10th. I can't find out where the chant comes from.