• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roman Catholic Woman Priests

Do you think there should be women priests in the Roman Catholic Church?

• Total voters

melissa

I believe that there should be women priests in the Roman Catholic Church. My reasons are as follows:
1.In the early church there were women deacons and therefore could have been women priests
2. At the last supper Jesus said, "Do this in memory of me." Since he was speaking to everyone there, and because some women travelled around with him he was inviting the women as well as the men to be priests.
3.Through baptisim we all become priests, therefore women have as much right as men to be ordained to the priesthood.

Rex

Founder
But remember the bible also says this:

Corinthians 14:33-35 NAB
As in all the churches of the holy ones, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church.

:eek:mg:

melissa

Jesus wanted to liberate women. Excluding women permanently from the priesthood would be totally uncharacteristic of him. In fact, he made women equal partners in the priesthood which he imparted through baptism. This disposes women to share in his full priestly ministry.Jesus chose 12 apostles to replace the 12 tribal ‘fathers’ of Israel. In the cultural context of his time, it was natural he chose men for this limited purpose.
Moreover, it is invalid to argue from something Jesus did not do (i.e. choosing a woman to be an apostle), was his way to establish a permanent norm for all time to come.Last not least, Jesus made women his disciples who ministered in various ways. Women were called to be the first witnesses of his resurrection!
from the website www.womenpriests.org

nungirl

Melissa,

Many things that Jesus did were very counter-cultural, so saying that he was limited by his culture and only chose male disciples because of his culture is an invalid argument. I believe that women have a definite place in the church, but it is not as priests. Jesus knew from the beginning of time that he would come to earth as a first century Male Palenstinian jew. He could of chosen a different era, but he didn't. Not even his mother, our greatest saint was chosen to be a priest or apostle. Yes she was in the upper room at Pentecost, but that also shows that women do have a specific place in the church, but again--not as priests. The apostles in turn only chose male priests. This has gone on for 1971 years.

melissa

nungirl,

saying that women have a definite place in the church, but not as priests is also an invalid argument. and because it has gone on for 1971 years don't you think it is time for a little change? the church has actually changed dramatclly since the time of the Roman Empire, and is still changing as we speak. Let's not forget that the church had to change it's mind several times (some where around 65, maybe?) on very important issues. There is a slight chance that they may someday change their mind about this, too.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Since I am not a Catholic, it isn't for me to say whether the Catholic Church should take one stand or another.

Some Buddhist traditions do not ordain women, some do. Any religious group needs to make this decision based on their teachings and on the needs of their membership, IMHO.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Well like Engyo, I am not Catholic, so I don't really have an opinion that counts one way or the other. But to be honest, I would like to see women ordained in the Catholic church, just because I believe it could go a ways in equal treatment of women in some developing countries where women are treated poorly and many follow Catholism.

Master Vigil

Women back in the time of jesus were nothing compared to men. They were nowhere near equal. Jesus did treat them as equal though. However, Jesus didn't start christianity so he of course would have no say in the idea of women being ordained as priests. Back then it would be wrong for them to be that way simply due to the culture. However, now I believe things can change, but I also somewhat believe somethings shouldn't. With respect for the catholic church... (I am no longer catholic but once was, and even was going to become a priest) I don't believe it is in their nature to go against tradition. I believe that women can become wonderful nuns and do just as much good work for the church as a priest or pastor can. But again, things can change. I just don't think they will. Whether this is right or wrong is not my decision. So I just say my opinion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
from what I've seen and heard the Catholic church is in desperate need of religous leaders.... fewer and fewer people becoming priests and more and more leaving the priesthood.
Perhaps it would simply be advantagous to allow women to fill in the gaps.

But in the end my opinion realy doesn't matter as I'm not even christian, let alone catholic.

its up to them to sink or swim... how many traditions are sacrosanct and how many can change with the times... (like saying mass in laten vs. in the local language)

wa:-do

Runt

It is my personal belief that if God gave women the ability to contemplate and understand religion, that It also gave women the right to give religious council; i.e. become priests.

However, do I think women should be allowed into the Catholic priesthood? Not being Catholic, or even Christian, it is not my place to dictate what ya'll should or should not do. Your beliefs are not mine, and if a woman wants to be a priest she can simply renounce whatever religion prevents her and find a religion that will allow her to do so. *shrug*

Scott1

Hello all!

My thanks to the many wonderful posters on this thread.

As far as the subject at hand:

Do you think there should be women priests in the Roman Catholic Church?
Interesting poll, but for everyones information:....... it will NEVER happen.

John Paul II in May of 1994 declared that all the Catholic faithful are to hold definitively that the Chrurch has absolutely no authority to confer priestly ordination on women.

This teaching has been confirmed by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on October 28, 1995 as being infallible taught and pertaining to the deposit of faith.

For those of you non-Catholics out there, the deposit of faith CAN NEVER BE CHANGED OR MODIFIED.

In other words, women will NEVER be Catholic priests.

Peace,
Scott

Rex

Founder
Not to nab you Scott but the question is...

Do YOU think there should be women priests in the Roman Catholic Church?

:D

Scott1

No worries Rex...... I do not think there should be women priests in the RCC.

The information I posted, in my opinion, is more relevant to the topic than my opinion.

To use an old phrase: "Rome has spoken, case closed."

Peace,
Scott

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
it will. sometime in my lifetime, they will. they are constantly changing. i see why not. i mean, women are not spiritually inferior. nowadays, their roles in the western world is equal to a man. women used to be deacons back in the early church. now that doesnt even happen.

but it could happen. oh well... the church is one confused place anyway. Im not making fun or calling names, thats just my opinion. they always change thier issues, thinking that God is behind everything. HOW DO THEY KNOW THAT? the christian religion is not original, i believe that they have perverted Jesus and his messege.
thats my opinion, and i have a right to it. i dont mean to make fun.

dan

If the Roman Catholic Church wants to make women priests that's their prerogative. Whether they have any Godly authority is another issue, and the answer is no; but neither do any Roman Catholic priests.

Scott1

gerani1248 said:
but it could happen. oh well... the church is one confused place anyway.
Well that's a very rude and argumentative post. Shall we start calling names now? Shame on you.

I hope the mods take notice.

dan said:
Whether they have any Godly authority is another issue, and the answer is no; but neither do any Roman Catholic priests.
Here's another wonderful post..... must be the full moon.

Care to elaborate dan, or was this some juvinile attack on my Church?

Admins and Mods take the day off? HELP!!!!!!!

Peace,
Scott

IceFire

I believe woman can be just as pious as a man can, but do I think the Catholic Church will ever change that, no.

kbc_1963

I think if women want to hold office in the catholic church they have every right to do so, since the church delights in breaking every other rule of GOD then why not that one?

I wonder why you don't question GOD as to why women werent formed first, i'm sure that in some way it is considered sexist for him to have formed the man first and without doubt satan would love to have you question your maker, but for those who can read and understand his word correctly then the following verses say it all:

1Ti*2:12
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti*2:13
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti*2:14
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
1Ti*2:15
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

dan

The Catholic Church is and always has been nothing more than a political tool. It was created to subugate the growing Christian demographic. It assumed an authority that it had no right to, and it has changed and perverted the simple doctrine of Christ ever since then. I know those are harsh words, but I am prepared to back them up. Right now I have to go, but I will show beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Catholic Chruch is as far from the one true church as the ground is from the sky.