• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Bell: Love wins what do you think?

tarasan

what do you think about the book Love Wins by Rob Bell

for those who dont know it is a popular book advocating universalism, which has recently come out, and has caused quite a stir.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Haven't read it yet, but from what I've heard, good for him and good for Christianity.

A

angellous_evangellous

what do you think about the book Love Wins by Rob Bell

for those who dont know it is a popular book advocating universalism, which has recently come out, and has caused quite a stir.

Does the book say anything about Charlie Sheen?

lunamoth

Will to love
your right he doesnt however his book is on universalism in fact it says so pretty much on the first page. we have to remeber that Rob bell is strange he is here to challenge people so its hard to ground him.

however the book is definately supporting universalism
I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle and read the first page and I don't see anything that says it is about universalism. He says the love of God is extended to everyone.

tarasan

I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle and read the first page and I don't see anything that says it is about universalism. He says the love of God is extended to everyone.

sorry its in the preface

"..This love compels us to question some of the dominant stories that are being told as the jesus story. A staggering number of people have been taught that a select few christians will spend forever in a peaceful, joyous place called heaven, while the rest of humanity spends forever in torment and punishment in hell with no chance for anything better. its been clearly communicated to many that this belief is a central truth of the christian faith and to reject it is in essence, to reject Jesus. this is misguided and toxic and ultiamtely subverts the contagious spread of jesus's message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear."

this is probably the best quote you would need to read the whole book to get the idea of it for example that hell isnt a place but is really the world now. etc, this isnt really a debated thing mate even teh liberals admit this book is about universalism

lunamoth

Will to love
sorry its in the preface

"..This love compels us to question some of the dominant stories that are being told as the jesus story. A staggering number of people have been taught that a select few christians will spend forever in a peaceful, joyous place called heaven, while the rest of humanity spends forever in torment and punishment in hell with no chance for anything better. its been clearly communicated to many that this belief is a central truth of the christian faith and to reject it is in essence, to reject Jesus. this is misguided and toxic and ultiamtely subverts the contagious spread of jesus's message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear."

this is probably the best quote you would need to read the whole book to get the idea of it for example that hell isnt a place but is really the world now. etc, this isnt really a debated thing mate even teh liberals admit this book is about universalism

That is the part I read. Guess I'll have to read the rest of the book soon, but Bell's stance seems more like questioning who ends up in hell is simply asking the wrong question. He is pretty clear in the interview I linked to that God does not take away our choice to accept His love at any time.

tarasan

That is the part I read. Guess I'll have to read the rest of the book soon, but Bell's stance seems more like questioning who ends up in hell is simply asking the wrong question. He is pretty clear in the interview I linked to that God does not take away our choice to accept His love at any time.

you have to listen to the interview closely because he makes reference to the book without going into alot of detial, for example, in the interview (i think its that one) Rob talks about hell being here and now rather than a place of judgement, in his book this is all he refers to hell as meaning no place people, ultiamtely everyone is saved. Rob is one of those people who have to read, its hard to get a quote of him straight out saying what he believes

he is very vague, which makes him a pretty sucky teacher :D