• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riots in the UK

When will it start?

• February

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I voted march, got to give time for Brexit to bite and the Brexiteers to come to terms with the mistake they made.

Of course frustration over the government's incompetence over covid 19 may bring that forward a bit

And @Secret Chief, sorry. Although this is a good thread topic i don't feel any of the frubes are appropriate. The **** pile building up in the England is more alarming than flubal worthy

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I voted march, got to give time for Brexit to bite and the Brexiteers to come to terms with the mistake they made.

Of course frustration over the government's incompetence over covid 19 may bring that forward a bit

And @Secret Chief, sorry. Although this is a good thread topic i don't feel any of the frubes are appropriate. The **** pile building up in the England is more alarming than flubal worthy

We need a poomoji.

Supplemental question: Will it be general rioting because of food, medicine, jobs or will that entwine with enraged brexiteers blaming EU/Remainers/Foreigners and starting an actual civil war (helped by covert government operatives)?

ChristineM

Premium Member
We need a poomoji.

Supplemental question: Will it be general rioting because of food, medicine, jobs or will that entwine with enraged brexiteers blaming EU/Remainers/Foreigners and starting an actual civil war (helped by covert government operatives)?

Surely a typo? :rolleyes:

I do think many of them will when Boris and his buddies flit to their second homes in Europe and declare England a 3rd world country because of those pesky remainers

exchemist

Veteran Member
When?

I reckon January.

Thoughts?
No I think it will take longer. I'm not sure I see riots over Brexit at all. Even though the "oven-ready", "easiest deal in history" seems to be eluding them , the unemployment won't be instant. It will creep up as various businesses throw in the sponge, one by one. The loss of the Nissan plant in Sunderland, opened by Thatcher in 1986, will be totemic when it eventually comes, but that may be several years away.

What we will get, meanwhile, is progressive ridicule of the government. It's already started with this talk of queues 7,000 lorries in length, the installation of Turdises all along the route and the need for HGV drivers to have a passport just to get into Kent. There will be plenty more in that vein when much of the fresh fruit and veg vanishes off the supermarkets shelves, which will probably be one of the first and most visible effects.

Rumpelstiltskin will probably be the first to be ejected from the government, followed by Bozo. The Tory majority is too great for a general election to be called, so maybe we'll get Gove or Sunak as PM first, trying to rescue the situation. But then I think and hope it will be Starmer (maybe in coalition with the SNP), who can negotiate the deal we should have had all along.

I think Scottish independence is now very likely within a decade. And that will be the end of both the Union flag and the UK seat on the UN Security Council. So far from "prospering mightily", as Bozo puts it, in his cod-Churchillian phrase, he will have brought about the breakup of his country. A fitting epitaph for the worst prime minister of modern times.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
No I think it will take longer. I'm not sure I see riots over Brexit at all. Even though the "oven-ready", "easiest deal in history" seems to be eluding them , the unemployment won't be instant. It will creep up as various businesses throw in the sponge, one by one. The loss of the Nissan plant in Sunderland, opened by Thatcher in 1986, will be totemic when it eventually comes, but that may be several years away.

What we will get, meanwhile, is progressive ridicule of the government. It's already started with this talk of queues 7,000 lorries in length, the installation of Turdises all along the route and the need for HGV drivers to have a passport just to get into Kent. There will be plenty more in that vein when much of the fresh fruit and veg vanishes off the supermarkets shelves, which will probably be one of the first and most visible effects.

Rumpelstiltskin will probably be the first to be ejected from the government, followed by Bozo. The Tory majority is too great for a general election to be called, so maybe we'll get Gove or Sunak as PM first, trying to rescue the situation. But then I think and hope it will be Starmer (maybe in coalition with the SNP), who can negotiate the deal we should have had all along.

I think Scottish independence is now very likely within a decade. And that will be the end of both the Union flag and the UK seat on the UN Security Council. So far from "prospering mightily", as Bozo puts it, in his cod-Churchillian phrase, he will have brought about the breakup of his country. A fitting epitaph for the worst prime minister of modern times.

It's good to read a calm post; I was bottling up some Molotovs.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think the impact of Brexit (ie Project Reality) will be the final straw. Therefore I too have gone March.

However, I also expect the Tories to ditch Johnson round about then too; he is the scapegoat for Brexit as even the Tories have realised it will be awful.

When?

I reckon January.

Thoughts?

Too cold.

If it's freezing and pissing down with rain people are far less likely to congregate outside in large numbers so there is less likely to be a spark or a critical mass.

Who wants to be chucking stones at the police when they can't feel their hands or feet any more?

April-Sept is your riot season, with summer being the most likely.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Too cold.

If it's freezing and pissing down with rain people are far less likely to congregate outside in large numbers so there is less likely to be a spark or a critical mass.

Who wants to be chucking stones at the police when they can't feel their hands or feet any more?

April-Sept is your riot season, with summer being the most likely.
Yes I agree with the weather, but lacking food and essential medicines might just tweak the penchant for summer riots.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Brits don't go in for riots the way the French and other European nations do and we do in the US.

Protests, yes, I expect them pretty early on, say February.

But riots on the scale the French saw with cops in fire and scenes like this? No.

5c05201d41cfd844134788c2

ChristineM

Premium Member
The Brits don't go in for riots the way the French and other European nations do and we do in the US.

Protests, yes, I expect them pretty early on, say February.

But riots on the scale the French saw with cops in fire and scenes like this? No.

5c05201d41cfd844134788c2

London

A89B904F-C088-7ED0-97EA0F5059D99230.jpg

Liverpool
JS96154402.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was wrong. Again. For anyone keeping score, my 'wrong' count is very high and that's not including the private scorecard my wife keeps.

I'm not keeping score ;-)

They [riots] don't happen often bur when they do stand well back

Altfish

Veteran Member
It takes a lot to rile up a Brit to riot but when it happens it is notable.

Brixton and Toxteth in 1981 (?) come to mind.
Poll Tax riots followed, going well back Peterloo in Manchester