• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Riots in the UK

When will it start?

• February

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Huh?
What about all of Europe?

Some of our demonstrations could turn into trouble, but my question to you is this:- Are you hoping for trouble like this?

Europe doesn't have buffoon Boris and co dragging england into the gutter

And i for one am hoping riots do not happen, i still have friends and family in the UK. But realistically i really don't see it any other way when the fat hits the shin

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Huh?
What about all of Europe?

Some of our demonstrations could turn into trouble, but my question to you is this:- Are you hoping for trouble like this?
I don't know about other European countries, except they are not about to go over the cliff edge on January 1st. No, I am not hoping, I am speculating. It's not beyond the realms given what is coming down the tracks.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't know about other European countries, except they are not about to go over the cliff edge on January 1st. No, I am not hoping, I am speculating. It's not beyond the realms given what is coming down the tracks.

I think that a majority of the World's countries are in a very very dodgy situation at this time.

And, yes, I really do hope that we in the UK can demonstrate our sadnesses and angers without the situation escalating in to violence of any kind.

Sadly our experts have been either making mistakes or not being able to agree on solutions, and by the end of November we will all be in more difficulties than we were in April, and with less funds available to support crashing businesses and unemployed.

We need to hold together as long as possible, is all.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Riots over what?
Previous posts - January 1st is ground zero; the end of the buffer of the transition period on leaving the EU.
My anti-epilepsy drug is not manufactured in the UK. I don't really want it sitting in the lorry park that Kent is being turned into. Obviously I neither trust or believe a single word of this government.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Previous posts - January 1st is ground zero; the end of the buffer of the transition period on leaving the EU.
My anti-epilepsy drug is not manufactured in the UK. I don't really want it sitting in the lorry park that Kent is being turned into. Obviously I neither trust or believe a single word of this government.
Why would this cause riots, though?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Why would this cause riots, though?
You don't see the potential? A shortage of essential medicines, food shortages (look how quickly the shelves emptied in March, whilst still in the transition period) and burgeoning unemployment. The poll tax caused riots, this mixture is surely capable of causing civil disorder. The corrupt liars in government and covid will add to the mix. And who knows how some of our less educated brexiteers will be acting when their promised sunlit uplands turns out to be a grim wasteland that still has some foreigners in it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't see the potential? A shortage of essential medicines, food shortages (look how quickly the shelves emptied in March, whilst still in the transition period) and burgeoning unemployment. The poll tax caused riots, this mixture is surely capable of causing civil disorder. The corrupt liars in government and covid will add to the mix. And who knows how some of our less educated brexiteers will be acting when their promised sunlit uplands turns out to be a grim wasteland that still has some foreigners in it.
But how is rioting going to solve the potential problems? What use is violence here? Smashing vehicles, windows, spraying graffiti, throwing eggs, what's it going to do? It won't bring any food out of thin air, or medical supplies, or jobs. It won't make the rioters look like educated citizens who are civilised and dialogue oriented people. It will unleash chaos, destruction, theft and violence and that's about it. Spitting out the dummy won't help. Peaceful protests? Fine. Riots? No.

MNoBody

tragic how the real villains have gotten everybody to fight their neighbors while the real perps are like untouchable, immune, ignored.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
But how is rioting going to solve the potential problems? What use is violence here? Smashing vehicles, windows, spraying graffiti, throwing eggs, what's it going to do? It won't bring any food out of thin air, or medical supplies, or jobs. It won't make the rioters look like educated citizens who are civilised and dialogue oriented people. It will unleash chaos, destruction, theft and violence and that's about it. Spitting out the dummy won't help. Peaceful protests? Fine. Riots? No.
That's right they won't bring food out of thin air. But when enough people find their basic needs are not being met, they won't be sitting around waiting for Johnson, Cummings et al to provide. People are driven to it, a basic primitive raging against those seen as responsible. Civilised dialogue is being ignored, and civilised dialogue won't keep food on the table. Did civilised protests stop the invasion of Iraq in 2003? No, not one iota of difference. Rioting doesn't bring food, but it can bring down governments. Thatcher's days were numbered once the poll tax riots happened. The tory party knew they'd not win the next GE with her as leader. Cue self-pitying tears.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's right they won't bring food out of thin air. But when enough people find their basic needs are not being met, they won't be sitting around waiting for Johnson, Cummings et al to provide. People are driven to it, a basic primitive raging against those seen as responsible. Civilised dialogue is being ignored, and civilised dialogue won't keep food on the table. Did civilised protests stop the invasion of Iraq in 2003? No, not one iota of difference. Rioting doesn't bring food, but it can bring down governments. Thatcher's days were numbered once the poll tax riots happened. The tory party knew they'd not win the next GE with her as leader. Cue self-pitying tears.

You are describing how the Human race can respond to urgent need. Why pick on the UK?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I live here, it's the country I know about, and that's why I'm concerned over the possible repercussions of crashing out of the EU. Aren't you concerned?
Ah..... Hello neighbour.... I live in Kent. :)
Well, I am as concerned as all others here about Covid which is going to batter us totally this winter. And the unemployment with businesses crashing. And folks being hard up for rent, food and clothing.... Yes, I'm concerned, but I'm not concerned about demos becoming riots.

Anybody who can riot, pillage and loot can be hauled in front of a Court and delt with, frankly, because such folks don't help any situation in any way.

As for Brexit, let's see how things work out. Leaving the EU will be hard after all those years within, but we'll be leaving the stupidity of some Brussels ideas... I like the idea of our own self government. I think Scotland should be free to choose it's own path, and maybe Ireland might become a state within the Republic, who knows?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a Christian...may I humbly and respectfully underline that the situation is going...
harsher and harsher? ...that it has gone out of hand.
.?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
8A7930AD-CDC6-47AE-8BD9-C8184111651B.jpeg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thats riots for you, usually after a few days the government sends in a mediator to ask for demands. That quiets the rioters because they think something is happening and nothing ever does

Tambourine

But how is rioting going to solve the potential problems? What use is violence here?
It puts pressure on the government that otherwise wouldn't be there, in the most public manner possible.

It also has the potential to hit a government's supporters where it hurts: Their property.
Since we live in societies where property is considered far more important than people's lived or health, this draws considerably more attention than any other form of political direct action could.